n00b in distress! HELP!

deconi12

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
So, I just got my Verizon iPhone and am thinking about jailbreaking it. What are the pros and cons, and what if it gets messed up? Im scared of it being broken and then me not being able to us the warranty because of prior jailbreaking.

munchkinsdad

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
ahh heck , I messed mine up trying to jailbreak it...well jb went fine it was the incompatible apps that messed mine up! But no worries! went back to original and re jb'd and working great ever since!

Jailbreaking is the easy part, but you must decide to take the risk of not being able to reinstall original iOS so that your warranty won't be voided if your phone ever hits the crapper. just my $.02

JasonG

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
how would you not be able to reinstall it? if the phone goes completely dead and wont start? correct me if im wrong, but if that happens, apple cant tell that the phone was jailbroken anyways right?

i havent heard of anyone messing their phone up and not being able to restore..

munchkinsdad

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
what if you accidentally drop it in the toilet? then you may not be able to reinstall the iOS... LOL I've heard of people permanently bricking their blackberrys but I'm too new to iPhone to know about that!

Last edited:

GolpherZX

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
You do it from the contact card item. The tough part is you can't set a different SMS tone per contact. I think anyhow. Downside - potential battery drain. (It keeps showing up in my posts, I love that I could go all day and through a night without needing to plug in the phone (I'd probably want to do it in the morning). I couldn't do that before.

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
You do it from the contact card item. The tough part is you can't set a different SMS tone per contact. I think anyhow. Downside - potential battery drain. (It keeps showing up in my posts, I love that I could go all day and through a night without needing to plug in the phone (I'd probably want to do it in the morning). I couldn't do that before.

Yes, you can. :p

People are a little too trigger happy to say "jailbreak, jailbreak!". You set an SMS tone for each contact just like a ringtone. The problem with SMS tones for each contact (NOT ringtones) lies in that you can't set CUSTOM SMS tones. You have to select one of the pre-installed ones or at that point Jailbreak. Ringtones however can be custom and separate for each contact.

munchkinsdad

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry Darth-Gamer, you are right. You can use custom ringtones for contacts who call you. But...you cannot use any custom ringtones for sms. You are stuck with the stock sms tones for your contacts.

I will bet that Apple will eventually enable custom tones for that too, but as of yet, the only way to use your own custom ringtones that you make or prefer for each individual contacts sms, mms, email and phone calls, you have to jb it.

Yes you can set stock sms tones for each contact, but not the ringtones.

I'm not saying you need to jailbreak your phone. To each his own! Some like to play some don't. Let us have some fun and customize out phones like we want. Don't be hatin! :D

Last edited:

LooNTooNs

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Spiderman. Those are he 3 reasons I JB'ed and I have never looked back. Totally worth it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm still trying to figure out how you're in "distress".....

"n00b in distress! HELP!"

"thinking" about doing something doesn't count...now, if you had done it and screwed up your phone then sure...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77