So, I just got my Verizon iPhone and am thinking about jailbreaking it. What are the pros and cons, and what if it gets messed up? Im scared of it being broken and then me not being able to us the warranty because of prior jailbreaking.
    02-22-2011 08:30 PM
    02-22-2011 08:59 PM
    ahh heck , I messed mine up trying to jailbreak it...well jb went fine it was the incompatible apps that messed mine up! But no worries! went back to original and re jb'd and working great ever since!

Jailbreaking is the easy part, but you must decide to take the risk of not being able to reinstall original iOS so that your warranty won't be voided if your phone ever hits the crapper. just my $.02
    02-22-2011 09:11 PM
    how would you not be able to reinstall it? if the phone goes completely dead and wont start? correct me if im wrong, but if that happens, apple cant tell that the phone was jailbroken anyways right?

i havent heard of anyone messing their phone up and not being able to restore..
    02-22-2011 09:59 PM
    What reason do you have to want to jailbreak?
    02-22-2011 10:10 PM
    what if you accidentally drop it in the toilet? then you may not be able to reinstall the iOS... LOL I've heard of people permanently bricking their blackberrys but I'm too new to iPhone to know about that!
    Last edited by Munchkinsdad; 02-22-2011 at 10:28 PM.
    02-22-2011 10:24 PM
    What reason do you have to want to jailbreak?
    to play or add extra features not included with stock OS...like custom ringtones for individual contacts. Emails, texts, etc...
    02-22-2011 10:26 PM
    to play or add extra features not included with stock OS...like custom ringtones for individual contacts. Emails, texts, etc...
    You can do custom ringtones for individual contacts without jailbreaking.
    02-22-2011 10:56 PM
    You can do custom ringtones for individual contacts without jailbreaking.
    Do you need an app for that or what? (i dont currently own one, but i will, so i want to know what to do with everything before i get it)
    02-22-2011 11:01 PM
    You do it from the contact card item. The tough part is you can't set a different SMS tone per contact. I think anyhow. Downside - potential battery drain. (It keeps showing up in my posts, I love that I could go all day and through a night without needing to plug in the phone (I'd probably want to do it in the morning). I couldn't do that before.
    02-23-2011 12:01 AM
    You do it from the contact card item. The tough part is you can't set a different SMS tone per contact. I think anyhow. Downside - potential battery drain. (It keeps showing up in my posts, I love that I could go all day and through a night without needing to plug in the phone (I'd probably want to do it in the morning). I couldn't do that before.
    Yes, you can. :P

People are a little too trigger happy to say "jailbreak, jailbreak!". You set an SMS tone for each contact just like a ringtone. The problem with SMS tones for each contact (NOT ringtones) lies in that you can't set CUSTOM SMS tones. You have to select one of the pre-installed ones or at that point Jailbreak. Ringtones however can be custom and separate for each contact.
    02-23-2011 01:15 AM
    I'm sorry Darth-Gamer, you are right. You can use custom ringtones for contacts who call you. But...you cannot use any custom ringtones for sms. You are stuck with the stock sms tones for your contacts.

I will bet that Apple will eventually enable custom tones for that too, but as of yet, the only way to use your own custom ringtones that you make or prefer for each individual contacts sms, mms, email and phone calls, you have to jb it.

Yes you can set stock sms tones for each contact, but not the ringtones.

I'm not saying you need to jailbreak your phone. To each his own! Some like to play some don't. Let us have some fun and customize out phones like we want. Don't be hatin!
    Last edited by Munchkinsdad; 02-23-2011 at 07:17 AM.
    02-23-2011 07:12 AM
    i cant really see the reason to jailbreak my phone. bitesms? mywi? lockinfo? those are the only 3 good programs to get.
    02-23-2011 10:48 AM
    For me, coming from a BB, those and more customizable programs are very useful.
    02-23-2011 11:48 AM
    Spiderman. Those are he 3 reasons I JB'ed and I have never looked back. Totally worth it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    02-23-2011 12:07 PM
    I'm still trying to figure out how you're in "distress".....

"n00b in distress! HELP!"

"thinking" about doing something doesn't count...now, if you had done it and screwed up your phone then sure...
    02-23-2011 12:10 PM
    Agree. This is no "distress" type of matter. LOL
    02-23-2011 12:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD