Sending Calendar Invites

wanda#IM

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
First post!!

So got the Mrs. a Verizon iPhone (duh, it's a Verizon iPhone forum) and activated it last night. She had a BB Storm and using that we could send calendar events to each other...I've got an HTC Incredible. I've read where you have to subscribe to a caldav (?) service in order for her to send me calendar invites and event info...what exactly does that mean. She uses Yahoo mail, not Gmail or MobileMe. Right now, when she creates a calendar event it doesn't even give her the option to invite anyone, that tab isn't even there.

I've done a search on this site but can't seem to find the answer. Any advice?

Entertainment72

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Try this.

Go to your iPhone settings application.
Tap "Mail, Contacts, Calendars".
Tap "Add Account".
Tap "Other" and then tap "Add CalDAV Account".
For the "Server" you can simply type "yahoo"
Now type in the Yahoo! username and password you use to signin to your calendar
Once you click save, the iPhone will verify your username and password.
Next time you open up your iPhone Calendar you will see a page allowing you to select with Yahoo! Calendar layer you want to view/edit.
It may take a few minutes for your Yahoo Calendar info to load... be patient

MacGuy76

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Set up is easy!

1. Go to system settings

2. Add mail account, but choose exchange account

3. Enter you Gmail Account info (don't worry about domain name)

4. When it asked for server, use:
m.google.com

Now your Gmail will push to your iPhone and you Contacts and calendar will do the same!

Note: If you have multiple calendars though, you will have to configure them on Gmail using a mobile browser.

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I use gmail as an Exchange account. I can send and receive calender invites just fine.

Agreed, thats the way we are sending invites. That seems to work the best. There is really so way just like the blackberry system was.

LooNTooNs

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
First post!!

So got the Mrs. a Verizon iPhone (duh, it's a Verizon iPhone forum) and activated it last night. She had a BB Storm and using that we could send calendar events to each other...I've got an HTC Incredible. I've read where you have to subscribe to a caldav (?) service in order for her to send me calendar invites and event info...what exactly does that mean. She uses Yahoo mail, not Gmail or MobileMe. Right now, when she creates a calendar event it doesn't even give her the option to invite anyone, that tab isn't even there.

I've done a search on this site but can't seem to find the answer. Any advice?

Ill tell you my experence and I hope it helps.

Wife and I were both on BlackBerrys. I synced my BB with MS outlook at work. Wife only kept a calendar on her BB. We would send each other Calendar appointments that would simply add into the others calendar. No subscribing to anything, short and sweet.

Enter the Iphone. Out of the Box, there is no option to invite people to an appointment. So I decided to try MobileMe($99 I already had the account). I downloaded a Mobile me client for my PC that sat in the task bar and synced my calendar and contacs to MobileMe. Now that mobile me had the info it can sync to any Ios device. I set up Mobile Me on the Iphone and boom all my information is populated on the Iphone. Now when I make a calendar apointment I have the option to add an attendee. Great right? NOPE not so fast. The appointment came into the BB as an email, but it wasnt the same kind of email that the BB would send. It gave my wife the option of accepting by clicking "yes" and it would launch her browser and take her to a web page that never loaded. I assume this is a diffrent kind of calendar format then outlook and BB use. I removed MobileMe and then lost the option to invite someone to an appointment.

So what did I do after a TON of research and some vital answers from Tipb member ^^Alli, I made a free Gmail account. Not a Google APPs account, just a basic Gmail. I then set it up using Set Up Your Apple Device for Google Sync : Google Sync - Google Mobile Help

Now the option has come back and it works flawlessly, just like it did on my BB. SO I can now send and receive appontments from/to my wife and they get added to our individual calendars. We dont share calendars, just appointmnets.

To take it a step further I added a client app on my PC that syncs my office PC to Gmail. This keeps my PC, Iphone, Ipad in perfect sync.

I know this may not be an optimal setup, but it seems to work. I do not run Exchange in my office(hell I barely know what exchange is), I have a single user install of Outlook. I also know there are other benefits to this setup, such as push email, I just havent used or discovered them yet.

I hope this information is helpfull to some people in the same boat as me!

Seth

Last edited:
Reactions: wanda#IM and Alli

wanda#IM

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to all who posted...especially you LooNTooNs..I especically appreciate the time it took to summarize that entire story into a post! Thanks again!!

Well got the gmail set up and followed the instructions provided by Macguy76 and I'm happy to report its working like clockwork. Thanks again, not sure what we would have done if we couldn't have found a workaround.

leathernuts#WP

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I use gmail as an Exchange account. I can send and receive calender invites just fine.

I do as well, but I still dont see the option for calendar invites? You are talking when creating an event through the native app-right? IF I go through the browser, im good to go. Thanks

LooNTooNs

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I do as well, but I still dont see the option for calendar invites? You are talking when creating an event through the native app-right? IF I go through the browser, im good to go. Thanks

Yes, you should see the option right in the native calendar app when creating an appointment. I'll upload a screen cap. Did you set up your account using the directions in my link?

LooNTooNs

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
457fd445-0181-2956.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leathernuts#WP

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I mustve done something wrong the other night. Just re did it and its there now. Thanks you! One more thing, now the calendar colors have changed. They dont match my google calendar. is there a way to fix that? THanks

WascalWabbit

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
So what your saying is you have 2 accounts setup on your iPhone. 1 which is the basic Gmail account and another which is the Exchange account. I set mine up this way as well, but after a couple of days of what seemed to be normal operation, I started to get a message that said my password was incorrect. I deleted both accounts and then recreated both accounts. Once again everything seems to be working normally. Any idea why this may have happened?

asggold

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Alli,

I have read every post, web-site, and blog I can find around this topic and would like to know how you have set up Gmail to be able to "Accept"/"Decline" calendar invites through Gmail Calendar? Every one of these sites says there is a disconnect between receiving the invite and actually being able to respond to it and I would like to find out if there is something I did not just set-up correctly to have this NOT work.:(

I have my Gmail set-up as Exchange but when I receive a Calendar invite it will not let me respond with an "Accept" or "Decline". This works just perfectly through my other Work Exchange mailbox I have on the iPhone.

I did see a program called "CalendarHappy" which says it will fix that issue for you but all the reviews say it is not user-friendly.

jlasorsa75

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Set up is easy!

1. Go to system settings

2. Add mail account, but choose exchange account

3. Enter you Gmail Account info (don't worry about domain name)

4. When it asked for server, use:
m.google.com

Now your Gmail will push to your iPhone and you Contacts and calendar will do the same!

Note: If you have multiple calendars though, you will have to configure them on Gmail using a mobile browser.

Hi Everyone,
My wife and I use Yahoo as our primary email however, since there are issues with sending calendar invitations with yahoo accounts, I added GMail as a second account to my iPhone. So, we are using yahoo for email and Google GMail for the calendar function. We need to use our yahoo accounts for email b/c we both have too many things tied to it. My goal is to get this working like my old blackberry.

Based on the details above, I was able to set up my Verizon iPhone with GMail / Exchange. I can now see the option to "Invite" contacts (GMail Account only) however, I am still having a problems sending the invitation. I tested this a few times and it seems like the invitation is not sending (person I am trying to invite never receives the invitation). Any idea what could be causing this? Is there a way to confirm if the invitation actually made it to the person you are sending the invite to? Thank you in advance!

Cheers,
-J

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorganNelson