Missed Call, Voice Mail, Text Preview

ecjn30

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know or understand why Apple has not allowed users to disable previews. For the over zealous, yes I have disabled the "Text Preview" feature but the display still activates and shows "Text Message from xxxx"

Likewise, previews pop up for Missed call from xxxx or voicemail from xxxx.

I am new to the iphone (iphone 4) from years of using a blackberry and extremely happy I was able to make the change. That said, I do not understand why the features described above cannot be disabled? The red bubble notifications above the icons are more than sufficient for me!

Anyway, I ask this question as I have searched extensively to find a solution and have been unsuccesful to this point. It is amazing how many others desire the same features, some since the original iphone. Yet, other than the ability to disable Text Preview and have the name still appear has any change been made in a while?

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I was trying to do this the other night so I wouldn't be interrupted while watching a show from Hulu.

I have come to the conclusion that this is not something that can be turned off, sorry.

ecjn30

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
That is my understanding as well, I am asking if anyone knows why apple has not given users the option to turn the feature(s) off.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I am asking if anyone knows why apple has not given users the option to turn the feature(s) off.

I guess you aren't too familiar with Apple. It took them until the 3rd generation to add copy and paste. My guess is that they are revamping the notification system since they re-hired their former employee who worked on WebOS notifications. I suspect we'll see something in iOS 5.0. If wouldn't surprise me if they waited until 6.0 to make the massive notification overhaul.

Basically, you live with what Apple tells you to live with. This is why people jailbreak.

KingofHeart4711

Apr 14, 2010
www.facebook.com
Does anyone know or understand why Apple has not allowed users to disable previews. For the over zealous, yes I have disabled the "Text Preview" feature but the display still activates and shows "Text Message from xxxx"

Likewise, previews pop up for Missed call from xxxx or voicemail from xxxx.

I am new to the iphone (iphone 4) from years of using a blackberry and extremely happy I was able to make the change. That said, I do not understand why the features described above cannot be disabled? The red bubble notifications above the icons are more than sufficient for me!

Anyway, I ask this question as I have searched extensively to find a solution and have been unsuccesful to this point. It is amazing how many others desire the same features, some since the original iphone. Yet, other than the ability to disable Text Preview and have the name still appear has any change been made in a while?

So the gf wont see when gf #2 texts you eh?? uhh huh I gotcha

KingofHeart4711

Apr 14, 2010
www.facebook.com
I guess you aren't too familiar with Apple. It took them until the 3rd generation to add copy and paste. My guess is that they are revamping the notification system since they re-hired their former employee who worked on WebOS notifications. I suspect we'll see something in iOS 5.0. If wouldn't surprise me if they waited until 6.0 to make the massive notification overhaul.

Basically, you live with what Apple tells you to live with. This is why people jailbreak.

I have a theory that Apple has this perfect design for an iphone that does EVERYTHING that users want but they only give us a little taste of these features with each update (hw and sw) to keep us wanting more. Thats how they make their money. If it were perfect right now TRULY perfect then their sales would go down on the new stuff

ecjn30

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
That's funny, but it appears to be amazingly true. I did find several apps that would enable someone to have control over these features, but they do require jailbreak.

This adds to my confusion, apple wants and commands proprietary domain. Yet, they appear to be amazingly slow in providing users the functionality they want which drives people to jailbreak? Seems they could minimize the desire for many to jailbreak if they'd either loosen the reigns, since that is not going to happen just provide the solutions people are requesting.

Victim of their own demise, it would appear when it comes to jailbroken phones.

ecjn30

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
So the gf wont see when gf #2 texts you eh?? uhh huh I gotcha

As I looked for a solutioin to this it was funny how many people automatically assumed the desire for this feature is to protect "players." I can't speak for everyone, but that's not my situation since my wife set up the p/w in my phone. I'm in sales and call on clients who are competitors with one another. In addition, some people are plain and simply nosier than they need to be and the info should not be so visible and accessible.

I found 1 rather lengthy and disturbing complaint about a gentleman who lost his job. His boss walked in his office and saw a missed call from their competitor.

Reactions: Watcher

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
As I looked for a solutioin to this it was funny how many people automatically assumed the desire for this feature is to protect "players." I can't speak for everyone, but that's not my situation since my wife set up the p/w in my phone. I'm in sales and call on clients who are competitors with one another. In addition, some people are plain and simply nosier than they need to be and the info should not be so visible and accessible.

I found 1 rather lengthy and disturbing complaint about a gentleman who lost his job. His boss walked in his office and saw a missed call from their competitor.
KUDOS! :cool:

hopper

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely the best device I've ever owned, but the lack of control over these small housekeeping issues is maddening. I've been using CrazyRemote to control my desktop at home, but every time a text or call comes in it blows me offline. Ugh....

KingofHeart4711

Apr 14, 2010
www.facebook.com

Man that sucks, but on the other hand, that gentleman probably shouldnt have stored the competitors name in his phone....jus sayin

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I guess you aren't too familiar with Apple. It took them until the 3rd generation to add copy and paste.

I hope Apple keeps doing what they have been doing for years. The result has been a fantastic phone. So keep up the good work and don't change how you run things, it is working very well.
I am not a fan of jb'ing as I have read way too many posts about how problematic and risky it is. I just want a phone that works not one where I have to wear a labcoat to operate it.

Sorry for the rant y'all. But I constantly read things about how poorly apple is run and it boggles my mind.(@ghostface I know it wasnt really a complaint, but it set me off any way, not really directed at you) They have put out fantastic products for years and continue to do so. If they were open like other platforms they would be crappy, like other platforms.

Ok, done now.

ladytonya

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Amen, Chobbs! I agree 100%. If Apple products were open like others out there (not naming any names), they would be just as crappy. What makes most of us enjoy using Apple products is the proprietary nature of the device. If SJ didn't keep things this way, we wouldn't enjoy using the products as much. Of course, this is coming from someone who is using a crappy HP laptop because I can't afford a MacBook, just couldn't justify the extra expense of almost double for less RAM, smaller hard drive, and slower processor, even though it would work better. Okay, now I'm rambling. LOL!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77