Does your iPhone 4 get really hot?

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
No, it should NOT be getting that hot. Warm, yes but not hot. Someone said they were getting a high temperature warning. If you're getting that message with regular phone usage you can bet that your phone is defective. Get it replaced by calling Apple Care as soon as you can. And to the previous poster, don't get all "conspiracy theory" on us... it's just defective which is a common occurrence with electronics. ;)

On a sidenote, I really wanted to be sarcastic and answer the OP question "Does your iPhone 4 get really hot?" with some snarky humor in a British accent like "Only when I touch her. She's quite the randy little vixen!" :D

Last edited:

AZMerf

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
Certain activities that are CPU, Graphic or Screen intensive will warm any device. Your laptop, home computer or phone. That's just electronics. There are no moving parts but the electrons inside the components do move and that will warm things up.

pilsbury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
The only time mine even gets slightly warm is charging for a while, other than that, during usage it doesn't get even warm.

TampaDude

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
No issues with mine. Is sometimes gets a little warm, but nowhere near what I'd call hot.

Also, don't forget that the iPhone 4 is all glass and metal on the outside, which conducts heat really well, so it may just feel warmer than other phones.

rfg17

Aug 2, 2008
Visit site
Had the following experience with the iPhone 4, just two weeks after I got it: I was talking on the phone for about 40 minutes and the phone became very hot, too hot to touch. I put the phone on the charger for the night and woke up in the morning and noticed the phone was still warm, though not as hot as the night before. Thinking that there was a process spinning, I rebooted the phone and without looking, slipped in my pocket. 10 minutes later, I took it out of my pocket and the glass around the top earpiece/camera was completely shattered. There was nothing else in my pocket and I didn't strike the phone or drop it. I believe the glass failed from extreme thermal stress.

I called AT&T iPhone service, and after a long set of questions documenting the incident, they sent me a new phone, which I received the next day. I can't prove it, but I think the phones can get into a runaway thermal overload.

e1miran

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
A friend of mine got the overheating message. He took it to the Apple store and they performed a diagnostic on it and confirmed that the phone had definitely overheated in the past. They promptly replaced his phone.

Mine got so hot while docked in the car and GPS going, that the backlight turned off and did not turn back on until it cooled down. Upon hearing that my friend got his replaced, I went to the Apple store and explained what happened. I immediately was given a replacement, with no diagnostic testing done.

anon(1217668)

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
I've noticed my iPhone 4 gets rather warm- warmer than most other devices- but it hasn't gotten to a level where I've been worried. All the electronics they packed in to the little device, especially with the metal frame the way it is, can act sort of like a heatsink. Being all black doesn't help either, but altogether, it should really be a non-issue.

gd420mj

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I found this thread from a google search for iphone 4 getting hot. I have had my iP4 for two weeks. But within the first few day, it was getting very hot. It would lose signal, then say no service then get very hot. Today, marks 2 weeks. The phone stays cool while on wifi. I have not talked too much on it so I cannot comment on talking. THis phone is a 16G ATT refurb. I took this picture while streaming netlix over 3G.
.. won't let me post a pic yet....

h t t p ://img580.imageshack.us/img580/2969/img0751r.jpg

Measured 135 deg F on the back at the hottest point. SCreen dimmed and if the signal remained it cooled a little. Only took 5 mins or less to get to 120 deg F from 78 deg F.

ALso, i noticed the glass was cracked. I had it covered up in an sgp case, so the back was covered. I took it out one day and noticed it was shattered. this was last week, and I don't remeber dropping it or shocking it. I have been very careful with this phone.

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
mine gets hot all the time and i don't worry too much about it. if i use location services a lot it will get hot. same with a long phone call. also if i take a lot of photos. it still works fine and it doesn't really bother me.

isabellajack

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
My iPhone gets hot while using the internet more than anything. However, so far, I haven?t experienced anything too hot to handle.I will keep an eye on it while charging, and see if heat becomes an issue then. It?s good to know that if this is indeed a design or manufacturing issue, we can still get a replacement iPhone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2