Want to use wireless for internet access, not 3G or Edge

thatguydave

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I am trying to figure out how I can use my wireless router to access the internet. I have turned off 3G but Egde turns on instead. I have no data plan and I don't care to have one.

I have heard of this file I can use from unlockit.co.nz where it gives a false APN number (or something like that). Now if I use this file, would it block my wireless connection too?

Ultimately I do not want Edge or 3G to access the internet, so how do I only use the wireless to access the internet?

I am using 3.1.2 OS with 05.11.07 firmware.

thatguydave

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I connect to the router just fine but the phone chooses either 3G (which i have turned off) or Edge (which costs a lot of $).

Also putting the phone in airplane mode does not allow my iPhone to connect to the internet through my wireless router.

Is it just me or shouldn't this be easier?

EDIT: I have blackrain and another download that creates a fake APN...

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
It will show the E or what ever until you start using it, then it should choose wifi over that if the connection is working. Turn on airplane mode then turn on wifi.

thatguydave

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I must be missing the memo or something, this is not working at all... Once I turn on Airplane mode and turn on WIFI I go to Safari and it says "connecting" with the thinking wheel beside it. So now I am left to wonder what I am doing wrong.

I have a download that creates a fake APN in order to disable access by 3G or Edge. COuld that be affecting my wireless too? Is there an app where I can just have 3G and Edge blocked?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I have never had a data plan since I owned my first iPhone. If you don't want a data plan JB your phone and get SBSettings which will allow you to turn of both 3G and EDGE. Once you disable the cell networks anything you open mail, internet, App Store, etc it will use Wifi

AlecH

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
It sure sounds like your phone is not properly connecting to your wifi router. If the correct password and wifi ssid is used, it should connect to wifi and use that even if Edge or 3G is present.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2