View Poll Results: Are you expecting a complete UI overhaul when the 4.0 software is released?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I'm getting bored...

93 65.96%
  • No - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

48 34.04%
    Fact - The iPhone is two years old. Do you think by the time the 4.0 software is released the user interface (UI) will be in need of a complete overhaul? Or are you perfectly content on having the same old look on your phone?

Yes, I am well aware of winterboard and jailbreaking but the overhaul I am expecting is well past anything winterboard will allow you to do.
    08-07-2009 01:09 PM
    Yes, I'd like a few changes. For example, themes, choices for sms tones, and different tone choices if you have multiple email accounts on your device; to name a few...
    08-07-2009 01:55 PM
    Yes, I'd like a few changes. For example, themes, choices for sms tones, and different tone choices if you have multiple email accounts on your device; to name a few...
    I have very good reason to believe by the time 4.0 is dropped we will see many changes.
    08-07-2009 01:57 PM
    I would love to see an overhaul. The ui is great now but it can always be better. Better themes and having a choice to change tones. Is that really hard to do? How about hi def? Flash? Can anybody say htc hero?
    08-07-2009 02:52 PM
    I don't foresee an overhaul coming at this point. Will it have enhancements? Sure, hopefully some more customizations and the like, but I don't expect to see a brand new UI.
    08-07-2009 03:13 PM
    two years, 5 iphone OS devices, countless firmware updates, yet the same basic ui and homescreen...its frking awesome how we can access everything with literally one tap but i wish apple would change it up cuz im getting bored of it...and yes we DEFINITELY need customization options...i would like it but i dont see it anytime soon tho
    08-07-2009 03:36 PM
    One thing that I'd like to see is a setting to name your various screens and then a checkmark interface to assign the various apps to that screen. So if you named the home Home you would then have a list of all the apps and put a mark next to all the apps you want on home. Then if you name the second screen Games, you could check all the games for that. That way you have one screen to rearrange apps. Current system is a pain.
    08-07-2009 03:40 PM
    I have very good reason to believe by the time 4.0 is dropped we will see many changes.
    you cant possibly expect to tempt us and not share more!! LOL
    08-07-2009 06:52 PM
    you cant possibly expect to tempt us and not share more!! LOL
    He saw a little birdy in his crystal ball. It signaled to him with semaphor flags that a guy it knows has a brother who spoke directly to Steve Jobs' chiropractor who says that iPhone 4.0 will be vastly improved.
    08-07-2009 08:41 PM
    i don't think overhaul is the right word. i'd like to see some theme changes, but keep the ease of use..
    08-07-2009 11:07 PM
    i don't think overhaul is the right word. i'd like to see some theme changes, but keep the ease of use..
    Ease of use will always be there with the iPhone. But the way things are handled will be changed drastically. Or I should say should be changed. Especially the way notifications come across.
    08-07-2009 11:10 PM
    i don't think a complete overhaul is in order but def. some tweaks like allow themes or even minor tweaks to interface, allow us to delete that damn stocks application haah.

and i would like to see it refreshed i would love to see an interface like that on leopard with the dock the way it is. (i know there are jailbreak themes) but to be able to really make it a mini mac would be awesome.

i guess i just really want more options to configure the device without jailbreaking.
    08-08-2009 12:07 AM
    man I definitely think a complete overhaul is needed..
    all you people saying it isn't needed are ruining our chances.. the iPhone OS UI is really stale.
    08-08-2009 11:19 AM
    man I definitely think a complete overhaul is needed..
    all you people saying it isn't needed are ruining our chances.. the iPhone OS UI is really stale.
    yea but it works so great i would like something different to a point
    08-08-2009 08:02 PM
    I would love an overhaul.. I think if Apple wants to keep innovating they need to change everything around a bit.
    08-09-2009 02:04 AM
    I hope that if they do change the UI that it will feel at least familiar. I don't want to have to relearn where everything is. I'd rather see more features, more choices and more customisation, all on a familiar platform.
    08-09-2009 02:20 AM
    I absolutely don't mind relearning. I want an active homescreen more similar to a desktop OS, or Android.
    I am not the kind of person who has their desktop covered with icons, I hide them and I access programs from the start menu.

I think that not having apps on the home screen doesn't make it any harder to access them. We have spotlight now .. Put the search bar on the top of the main home screen and you can tap it to bring up the keyboard, that would be good.
    08-09-2009 11:00 AM
    I would love an overhaul.. I think if Apple wants to keep innovating they need to change everything around a bit.
    i tend to agree that iPhone OS is getting a bit stale for those of us who have had them for 2 years. however, apple is not a company that makes landmark changes very often. take the iPod for instance, it hasn't changed its UI basically ever. in addition, Mac OS X hasn't changed its basic feel since 10.2.. i think its HIGHLY doubtful that iPhone OS sees big changes for a while..
    08-10-2009 12:38 AM
    I dont' know if i'm "expecting" anything, but now that push notifications are live. Apple really needs to do something about the stupid blue box badge as notifications. Swallow your pride and take a hint from the Pre. If i get a text, an email (which doesn't give you any notification unless you unlock), twitter push, and an IM sent to my phone all before i get a chance to unlock, i want to see on the unlock screen everything in que. Especially with twitter push, since it can only push every 2 minutes or so, if i get multiple tweets i can only see the last one since any new push notification obliterates the last.
    08-10-2009 01:37 PM
    you will never see a complete overhaul. the basic interface design was done once they opened up the APIs to developers

they can't change the icon size without breaking existing icons. they can't change the transparency without breaking programs. they can't change the resolution without breaking programs.

most of all, you train users to get used to icons in certain places, certain colors, etc. they can't change this without annoying > 95% of their users.

the same old basic UI will be around for years. Apple spent years designing it, they're not just going to throw it out.
    08-10-2009 01:47 PM
    you will never see a complete overhaul. the basic interface design was done once they opened up the APIs to developers

they can't change the icon size without breaking existing icons. they can't change the transparency without breaking programs. they can't change the resolution without breaking programs.

most of all, you train users to get used to icons in certain places, certain colors, etc. they can't change this without annoying > 95% of their users.

the same old basic UI will be around for years. Apple spent years designing it, they're not just going to throw it out.
    It will happen - sooner or later. They will eventually have to move forward or they will eventually end up with a very dated device. Whether they bring out a completely new device with a fresh UI or not. It's just something that will have to be done.
    Last edited by Jeremy Sikora; 08-10-2009 at 02:01 PM.
    08-10-2009 01:57 PM
    I'd just like to be able to change my themes. If they sold them in the app store I'd buy them. That was part of the allure of jailbreaking to me because it's one thing to have the same model phone as everyone else but another thing to turn on the screen and be like "whoa" that looks nice! I do like the flow of the UI so I don't want that to change but I'm sure if Apple decides to change whatever I trust it will look nice. Function nice, who knows...
    08-25-2009 06:17 PM
    Jeremy hit the nail with this thread. The current UI looks already dated when compared with the latest builds of WebOS, Android/Sense UI from HTC, and specially MAEMO 5 on the Nokia n900

Mind you, the 3GS has more or less the same powerfull hardware that is inside the n900.

Current springboard looks too much static, notifications system suck (if youll have plenty of push notification enabled apps youll quickly see that), not to mention lack of themes, multitasking.

What i expect:

New notification system
    Limited multitasking - control is specially required for low memory devices pre-
    GS
    Coverflow for app switching
    Themes
    Some sort of widgets: live weather and live time icons, etc
    Display of information on lockscreen (PIM, etc)
    etc

The competition is improving, big time, so Apple cant afford to remain static. Fact is, right now, the iPhone UI has lost its tech edge...
    Last edited by antonioj; 09-02-2009 at 12:36 PM.
    09-02-2009 12:33 PM
    Jeremy hit the nail with this thread. The current UI looks already dated when compared with the latest builds of WebOS, Android/Sense UI from HTC, and specially MAEMO 5 on the Nokia n900

Mind you, the 3GS has more or less the same powerfull hardware that is inside the n900.

Current springboard looks too much static, notifications system suck (if youll have plenty of push notification enabled apps youll quickly see that), not to mention lack of themes, multitasking.

What i expect:

New notification system
    Limited multitasking - control is specially required for low memory devices pre-
    GS
    Coverflow for app switching
    Themes
    Some sort of widgets: live weather and live time icons, etc
    Display of information on lockscreen (PIM, etc)
    etc

The competition is improving, big time, so Apple cant afford to remain static. Fact is, right now, the iPhone UI has lost its tech edge...
    Notifications are poor and from people I've spoken with at Apple they are well aware of the other competing operating systems out there and how they handle notifications. We can expect changes in the near future in that regard.
    09-02-2009 12:47 PM
    Good to know Jeremy! You think even before 4.0?
    09-02-2009 02:26 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD