MMS pictures blurry

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Now that I finally got MMS to work, I noticed that the pictures are blurry/pixelated. Is anyone else having this problem or know a fix?

Oh yeah, my iPhone is a 3g unlocked/jailbroken on 3.0 with tmobile as my carrier.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I read this this morning

Pics come in HORRIBLE resolution!

I remember a post i found when I was using a nokia e61 on tmobile that if tmobile doesn't have the phone listed as supported, it automatically resizes the image to 160x120

so this is why receiving pics with the iPhone messages app are so bad.
I hope there is someone whom can hack the iPhone so it sends out a fake device profile to your carrier so we could receive pictures in better resolution.. in SwirlyMMS I had to set up the device as a Motorola V300 or something or the Nokia profile, and the pics came out great... lets get this rolling for the stock apple MMS settings someone! Please!

I also noticed that pics viewed in "full screen" usually look horrible because the iPhone has a much larger screen and resolution than most of the phones sending mms. So it's putting really small pics and filling up your screen with them.

bruce.abbott

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Some carriers alter the quality on their MMS pictures because most camera phones do not have the resolution the iphone. They do this to conserve bandwidth.

honkiet

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi, eventually I know how to fix the blurry mms

Now that I finally got MMS to work, I noticed that the pictures are blurry/pixelated. Is anyone else having this problem or know a fix?

Oh yeah, my iPhone is a 3g unlocked/jailbroken on 3.0 with tmobile as my carrier.

Hi, I know how to fix it, it works on my iphone now, the pictures were great on incoming/ sending.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Well first thing I would do is wait for AT&T. Then there shouldn't be a problem.

The OP is on Tmobile and waiting on AT&T will have no effect. However, your going to find that while viewing mms pics on the iPhone from AT&T some are going to be pixelated and blurry cause full screen means just that, it's gonna show the pic full screen, even if the resolution of the sent pic is 20X20.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Actually I think that they'll find a fix for that on AT&T.

I really hope you are right. It would be nice if it would just show the pic at it's actual size, if it is smaller than the screen res, with a black border maybe, and of course, if it's bigger, scale it down to screen size.

butchiem1

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I just want you to know it has nothing to do with AT&T or MMS, even if I open an email and save a picture to the camera roll, the picture (which looked good in the email) looks blurry in the camera roll

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I am one of those developers, and I can tell you, if the received photo is much smaller than the iPhone's screen res, the photo is pixellated and blurry.

Here is a for example. I took a quick snap of my watch and cropped it down to smaller than the iPhone screen resolution. much smaller actually, say 1/4 to 1/3 the size. Still within the realm of the size you might get from a "dumb" phone.

Actual size from email (emailed using the photogene app)
939d924a.jpg

Here is a screen shot of what it looks like if emailed from the photos app
7e81b3a3.jpg

and here is the thumbnail view from the messages app
90c6f4c7.jpg

And here is fullscreen from the messages app
1244480a.jpg

Personally, I would rather have it at it's native size with a plain black border around it to fill up the rest of the screen. It's useable, but it is a problem with the iPhone and the photos app and the way it integrates with the mail app and messages app.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Many many people have argued for MMS because their freinds do not have email on their phone. Now your telling me that even if I had mms and received a pic from a "dumb" phone that it would be a bad pic?

Sounds like it is a technology that is on it's way out the door. And not something I want on my phone.

Btw I am sure a pic sent IPhone to IPhone would rock! But if you have an IPhone, you have email! MMS is not needed IMO

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
It has nothing to do with AT&T or mms in general, it is the way the iPhone handles photos and images. It does the same with email. All that is required is for the iPhone to recognize the physical size of the image, and if it is smaller than the 480X320 it presents the image as actual size on a black background. If it's larger...it optimizes for the screen. This is an issue for apple to fix with the iPhone, IMO.

Many many people have argued for MMS because their freinds do not have email on their phone. Now your telling me that even if I had mms and received a pic from a "dumb" phone that it would be a bad pic?

No, not at all, I'm just saying in some instances, and most likely it is gonna be pics that are attached to jokes, the pics are gonna be blurry. If it is a photo taken by the camera in the phone, it will most likely be fine, unless their service provider scales the pics. All the photos I receive from my wife, taken with her bold, come out fine.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site

Sounds like it is a technology that is on it's way out the door. And not something I want on my phone.

Btw I am sure a pic sent IPhone to IPhone would rock! But if you have an IPhone, you have email! MMS is not needed IMO

E-mail IS a dated technology dating back to the 60's, MMS came about this decade.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2