2.1 Firmware this Friday [Details inside]

spsands

Sep 10, 2008
www.twitter.com
Well they did that with Leopard too. A lot of tech release are like that, release it rather than delay it and fix the known issues with future updates. It's not Apple's fault that apps you want to see aren't being developed. If you have good ideas you can make your own app or collaborate with someone else who already is developing, that's the beauty of the App Store. As far as battery life, I've been told that the battery life improvement is dramatic.

I can make it all day on the battery on 3g as long as I dont surf the internet all day. And that is with pushing email every 15 min. As far as the apps go, 3,000 apps in one place is great. When I had my curve, I had to search several sites to find certain apps/themes. The great thing about the iphone is its integration with itunes and the rest of the mac platform. All the Apps in one place is waay better than hopping bb sites and not knowing who to trust for downloads. Here, we at least get the mental reassurance that Apple is at least monitoring these apps for "phoning home" and if by chance we find out differently, we have a place to voice our frustrations and someone (apple) to make sure that there is regulation so others dont get burned.

With the 2.1 fix and Apples responsiveness to problems how can you complain. RIM still doesnt even have html email unless you take the hack version of 4.5... which is going to be release WHEN??

Ultimately, I think that the 300$ I spent to get the iphone 3g and the 20$ I spent unlocking my Curve to give to my sister was well spent. The Iphone kills the BB.

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Apple's responsiveness to problems? I did laugh at that as I put in an email request to support over two weeks ago and still haven't got a response apart from an automated response telling me someone would get back to me "usually within 48 hours"

Still, I suppose 2.1 is a kind of response, just not the one I was expecting to get!

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Well it'd be nice if i could sync. Running vista, everytime i plug the iphone up..boom..blue screen of death. From what i've read, this is a common problem.

nice job there apple..

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Well it'd be nice if i could sync. Running vista, everytime i plug the iphone up..boom..blue screen of death. From what i've read, this is a common problem.

nice job there apple..

Yes I read about that problem as well but it was after I'd synced my ipod. I'm running Vista as well and it's given me problems with upgrades in other programs. :mad:

spsands

Sep 10, 2008
www.twitter.com

nice job there apple..

thats more of vista being um... well to be polite, cheap. Most vista users I know switched back to xp... Then again, Im not a pc user. My wife and I have an ibook, a powerbook, a ipod 2nd gen, ipod nano 1st gen, ipod video 5 gen, an iphone, and an iphone 3g.

but maybe 2.1 will fix some of those issues too? who knows. 2.1 seems to be the hot thing right now, for all we know it could cure cancer, kill bin laden and cause the fall of microsoft all in a single day! :)

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
The problem's not due to Vista itself but camera/scanner software. The problem I had with my other program was due to Google desktop rather than just vista. Oh the whole, I much prefer vista to xp - it certainly runs better and I've not had the blue screens of death with vista.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
The problem is due to apple. Geez, this isn't rocket science. Itunes 7.7 ran fine or at least fine enough to sync. Itunes 8? BSOD. It's not vista. it's not that scanner or hp printer. It's something called itunes 8 not doing what its supposed to.

Vista is much better than xp, supports much more.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
An inside look at Apple’s sneaky iTunes 8 upgrade | Ed Bott’s Microsoft Report | ZDNet.com

Maybe because this isn?t a simple software update. Once again, Apple is using its automatic update process to deliver massive amounts of new software to users, including a device driver that has a long and checkered history of causing the Blue Screen Of Death to appear. And it?s delivering this massive payload without even a pretense of proper disclosure and without asking consent from its users.

spsands

Sep 10, 2008
www.twitter.com
An inside look at Apple?s sneaky iTunes 8 upgrade | Ed Bott?s Microsoft Report | ZDNet.com

Maybe because this isn?t a simple software update. Once again, Apple is using its automatic update process to deliver massive amounts of new software to users, including a device driver that has a long and checkered history of causing the Blue Screen Of Death to appear. And it?s delivering this massive payload without even a pretense of proper disclosure and without asking consent from its users.

The long and checkered history is only on windows machines. And by asking consent you must be referring to Windows long history of autoupdates that run in the background and invisible to most users??

Apples disclosure is in the fact that all of those drivers, software etc, are PART of Itunes and quicktime. Its the fluidness of all the whole Mac OS platform and the whole idea behind syncing all of your mobile devices, Ipod/Iphone/laptop/desktop. The author of that article tries to make it sound like Apple is being sneaky about something but theres nothing sneaky about Itunes, your iphone, ipods etc being completely integrated. That is public knowledge that you find in every page on apple.com/every mac ad on tv etc.

Its ridiculous that the author puts the onus of this on apple, when even xp users or vista 7.x users didnt have that trouble.

Its simply a PC hugger trying to act like a victim for once. And I have little sympathy for someone who chooses to run an apple product off of a windows machine. Kinda sucks to not be able to have certain programs or software or hardware you want to run huh? However, I knew full well when I switched to Mac, that I would have some troubles with compatibility. Gates has made no pretense about cross-platform non-compatability... So be thankfull you can run your iphone off those PCs to begin with.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Be thankful apple made a program that is compatible with windows, which is by and far the dominant OS?

I'm thinking apple should be thankful. I've already made enough concessions in owning the iphone. I sure as hell wouldn't buy a piece of crap mac computer.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Be thankful apple made a program that is compatible with windows, which is by and far the dominant OS?

I'm thinking apple should be thankful. I've already made enough concessions in owning the iphone. I sure as hell wouldn't buy a piece of crap mac computer.

Dominant? Please... you can keep your crashing, bogged down, bsod, pc... Enjoy!

:)

If I had as many issues as you seem to have I'd leave all Apple products and be done with it. But for some reason you stick around...

mikecc

Aug 21, 2007
www.icellphonedeals.com
I upgraded to 2.1 this week. Safari still crashed when I tried to accessed theiphoneblog and other sites :mad: And still can't get good 3G reception indoor. The signal just change from E to 3G back and forth.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
I think AT&T just bolted rabbit ears on their 2.5G antennas and called them 3G. I don't have any problems in Canada, where we pay through the orifices, but have a very solid network.

avt123

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site

Piece of crap mac computer? You are a fool if you think windows is better. The next time I get a bsod, a currupt file or a virus on my mac, I'll let you know. The next time my mac freezes or crashes, I'll let you know. I'm all for windows, I own 3 PCs, but to say that mac is crap is ignorant. The only reason windows is more popular is because it is used on any PC, and it is so dumbed down any idiot can operate it.

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
I guess I'm a PC owner because it was all I knew growing up. Having experienced the ipods and iphone and been shown a mac by a friend, I'm now quite keen to have a mac. Only problem is, I don't have the money at the moment. If someone wants to give me a nice pile of cash, I'd happily go out and buy a mac as I've been so impressed with what I've seen so far.

ExBBUser

Oct 2, 2008
Visit site

you really are dense along with being ignorant. quit complaining about your iPhone and sell it. nobody is stopping you. good riddance.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
LOL..don't think so. But likewise quit complaining about windows. I haven't complained much about the iphone besides its crashes and crappy at&t.

Once again, here's the math. Sprint's unlimited is 99. The same on the iphone is 150. For this premium i get to enjoy using a fantastic device now that it isn't crashing as much on 2.1 but still lacks much of what a palm can do. However, the network sucks, i drop calls left and right, and have a rough time getting a good signal.

These are the concessions. And now someone else is saying we should go to Macs as well and make further concessions? Half the programs i run for business are windows only. Combined with gaming, i see no compelling reason to use a Mac.

avt123

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
Yea, windows has all those programs because it is the easiest to use for most people who can't take the time to learn a better OS. So therefore more people use windows. Mac OS is so much better. The stability alone puts windows in the dirt. Yes your iPhone is crashing, but guess what, mine doesn't and the majority of peoples don't. You have bad luck. AT&T might suck for you, but it works great for me. Full 3g almost everywhere I go, no droped calls and great call quality.

Like you said, sprint is cheaper, but that is only because they are horrible. Bad CS, bad coverage, and if you like having extra charges on your bill every month or other mistakes, then they are the carrier for you.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2