I'm on T-Mobile (testing) w/some startling finds. $1 a day? Hell yes!

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Now, before I go into this small little review of mine, as ALWAYS with T-Mobile and the iPhone, you go into it KNOWING that you are going to lose speedy service. A/k/a? Edge only, no 3G.

With that being said, I purchased a prepaid kit from a T-Mobile store, set it up on the Sidekick prepaid plan, got the SIM card and got to my car. I pop that little bast@rd in, got the service working. Phone call quality is automatically better than AT&T. Why? Because I can ACTUALLY MAKE A CALL (I'm in NYC, where 1 out of 2 calls are dropped. I can attest to this!)

So, the calls are working, and the unlimited SMS messaging is working, as it comes standard with the prepaid plan. (I know because I neurotically kept calling #999# to check my available T-Mobile balance.) However, my e-Mail and internet were not working, along with almost all of the apps on the iPhone, and a quick research session on my laptop unveiled the fact that T-Mobile had caught on to the fact that millions of iPhone users were coming on and using the Sidekick plan for their iPhones (without paying for the postpaid "Smartphone" plan T-Mobile offered for the iPhone). So, in short, they modified the original Sidekick plan to have certain features and functions not work with the Sidekick prepaid plan.

But I want my internet and e-Mail, g0ddamm!t!

So once again, more research (I can't stress this enough, RESEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND, it will WORK WONDERS, as long as you aren't retarded!) lead me to the following site -

iPhone

Now, I am not advertising anything about this site except that they more or less, for a fee, set up a proxy server specifically for your iPhone (I ordered the $9.99 per month plan, personally) where basically, everything works. Your e-Mail, internet, YouTube, iTunes, AppStore, Twitter/Facebook, etc... it all works - albeit on the Edge network, so yes, it WILL work, but it will also be a bit slow.

The customer service reps who I spoke to were EXTREMELY helpful. The process is not difficult at ALL, you download and install (directly from your iPhone) a mobileconfig file after they create it for you. THEN, you have to set up a time with them (keep in mind, they're located in Arizona) and you will have a 15 minute time window to take the iPhone you want to use, and visit a link they send you via e-Mail. They capture your IP address, add it to their private VPN server which was set up for you and you alone, and voila - all your sh!t works, just as it should.

I DID run into a few problems. For example, I attempted to use my "GV Mobile+" app (for the free SMS feature, and a familiar # my contacts would recognize) and it simply would not load. The reason for this, after speaking in depth with the website customer service reps, is because very few (almost NONE, actually) apps released on Cydia have support for proxy servers. That means no VPN support. Almost ALL App store apps have proxy support, so they will work.

So to test that theory, I fired up Skype (while using 3G Unrestrictor, of course), and attempted to make a phone call.

It went through. Barely. But not because of software or hardware conflicts, but simply because the Edge network is too slow to maintain a decent call quality. There were lots of echoes, and a good amount of feedback as well. The call didn't drop, I killed it. Violently.

So ultimately, if you are savvy enough, I'd ABSOLUTELY recommend that you give my methods above a try. It's a pretty sweet deal to pay $1 a day (plus phone calls at $0.15 per minute) as compared to AT&T's $4.66 per day.

Ultimately, I'd rather pay about $45 per month for the iPhone than $145, no?

Cliffnote: As much as I hate to do it, I DO intend to go back to AT&T, but ONLY because I want their 3G speed, and ONLY until Verizon gets the iPhone, which is looking more and more plausible each day, especially now that the Verizon CEO has gone on records to state that Verizon wants it. HOWEVER, I only posted this tutorial / review mainly because with the way the economy has been lately, and just students in general, not everyone can afford a $145+ cellular bill every month, and T-Mobile may be the best way for that to go down. I happen to be lucky, because my profession thrives on hard times, but not everyone else's does. This is just a way to save you guys some money. I genuinely hate AT&T, I just want to make that clear. I would actually subscribe my iPhone to a goat if it had better service than AT&T, but unfortunately, AT&T's data (which is really all I use the iPhone for) is just simply top notch.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
WOW, that had to have taken a lot of free time to configure all of this. very good work!

here's my one and only question; why so much hate for "the nations fastest 3G network?"
you said that the data is top notch. is it the voice capabilities, or lack there of? too high priced?

i've always been intrigued with individuals who just cant stand their mobile provider but yet they stay & pay

i know i may be getting off topic here (not trying to start a forum war) but just curious where you're comin' from
you seem like a very intelligent individual so how you respond to this i will most definitely respect more than the trolls who come here

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Once you add $9.99/month for the proxy, aren't you up to what T-Mo would be charging for a smartphone plan anyway?

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
The $9.99 includes unlimited iPhones. :)

I added 2 from my house, plus an additional 3 through friends and family, and I anticipate at least 2 more, so ultimately, I'll be saving everyone else cash. *chuckle*.

Blink, the problem I have with AT&T is exactly what you mentioned - absolutely sh!tty call quality, dropped calls like crazy, and they are obscenely overpriced.

Now, as I said, I'm in NYC. Seriously - 1 out of 2 calls REALLY DO drop. If I have a phone call for over 1 minute, 30 seconds, the quality degrades and eventually drops mid call. It's truly atroscious. If they fixed their network, I would be seriously happy.

It's gotten to the point where everyone who knows me knows that I will ONLY text, IM or e-Mail them if I need to contact them for any reason.

I automatically forward all incoming calls straight to voicemail, because at least AT&T won't drop THAT in the middle.

As a data only service, AT&T is wonderful. As a cellular PHONE service in NYC, they're horrible.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Wow.... I'm sorry to bore you, forum reader. I'll try to be more entertaining the next time I try to alert people about saving some cash...

My bad.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You haven't noticed any improvement in NY lately? My podcast partner, Jerry, has mentioned the improvement recently. And my son, also in NYC, has never mentioned problems...then again, he doesn't use the phone for voice much.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Alli, honestly, I've noticed their data speeds improving slightly, and their data reliability now is better. There's absolutely more 3G coverage here, but voice calls are still pretty bad. I just can't seem to catch a break. *chuckle*

I haven't had a decent call on a cell phone since I was using the Razr on Verizon, right before coming to AT&T for the iPhone!

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i'm paying $220 a month [5 lines, 1400 mins w/rollover, unlimited text & 2 iPhone plans]

can't really tell if i'm getting bent over...

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I pay $185 for 2 iPhones - 700 minute family plan (2 lines, both iPhones), "unlimited" data x2, and that's about it.

Seriously.

sirchip

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
ya know i didnt even think about the family plans...duh on my part... :)

mine is like $70 for 450 min with the rollover, unlimited data and the 200 texts (im not a texter)...plus when i do i do use google mobile + so im good here.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
I'm always a fan of a creative workaround, so nice work :) I pay way too much for my AT&T service, but with two iPhones + unlimited data, 4 people on a family plan and unlimited texting (teenagers), it's the price I pay for peace and happiness in the home. :eek:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
ya know i didnt even think about the family plans...duh on my part... :)

mine is like $70 for 450 min with the rollover, unlimited data and the 200 texts (im not a texter)...plus when i do i do use google mobile + so im good here.
I do long conference calls. What I would like is 450 plue A-list. Not available. What I have to buy is 900 including A-list.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh