bought iphone

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
for wife on her bday a day ago. I've made fun of some users on here who come trashing the 700p in praise of the iphone...and i'm gonna eat some crow here.

It's a really nice phone. Even better in person than what you see on the net. Yes, palm has work to do and it isn't the Centro.

So now i got one foot in sprint with the 700p and one foot in at&t. SERO is fine for me, but the next treo should redefine the treo line or it's bye bye.

Say what you want about apple (since i've never owned one), but i've seen two updates so far. They've made updating the device seamless.

tony bag o donuts

Oct 5, 2005
Visit site
Congrats on the new phone. One thing you haven't done in your post, and its just me with my business approach is to not bash another product or service to make yourself or your product look better. I like the new treo Centro, and in that grey I think it will compete against the Q and even bring the Iphone down in price.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
And its going back. Sound quality is just too bad for her. No reception where she teaches.

Really a shame its not on sprint because she liked the phone. Guess she'll go for the Mogul which was a close consideration to start with.

noodle

Jun 15, 2006
Visit site
I would buy an iphone in a hot minute if it was cdma, but I'll never go back to cingular, even if its called at&t...they dropped more the 50 percent of my calls, and when I could make a call it was all distorted and choppy. Add the worst customer service ever and it was a huge deal breaker. I was with cingular for years and right @ the merger things got bad.

Apple on the other hand is fantastic. I have always used them, my MBP runs vista ultimate, osx, and ubuntu. I don't agree with all there policies and the customer service is hit or miss, but the software and dev community is great.

The iphone needs evdo, a removable battery, keyboard, cut and past, true 3rd party apps(exist with hacks now), removable memory and I'm sold.

If palm does step it up, it will have to be major, because they have demonstrated a complete lack of innovation and support for their loyal customers.

I would go with the neo linux phone, but that is gsm, not cdma,

so this leaves me stuck choosing a blackberry, which doesn't have enough 3rd party apps or a windows/ HTC device, which will probably be where I go. Its not what I ideally want, but I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place and palm has abandoned me...b($tards!

anon(536616)

Jun 4, 2006
Visit site
"The iphone needs evdo, a removable battery, keyboard, cut and past, true 3rd party apps(exist with hacks now), removable memory and I'm sold."

Exactly...an iPhone with the above and I'm there.

gatorray

Nov 22, 2006
Visit site
"The iphone needs evdo, a removable battery, keyboard, cut and past, true 3rd party apps(exist with hacks now), removable memory and I'm sold."

Exactly...an iPhone with the above and I'm there.

Ditto...my colleague has an iPhone, and I have been very impressed with how it works. My fat fingers have trouble typing and so does his skinny fingers. You have to practice to get better.

My Verizon contract is up early next year. I hope there is another iteration of the iPhone so I can switch over, otherwise I don't know where I'll go.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
3G on ATT is great however! My 3G phones are loud and clear. This is where Apple made a big mistake. Had they done 3G, people may not have sound problems.

Mike Overbo

TC / Phone Different
Aug 21, 2006
phonedifferent.com
Apple has stated that they skipped 3G due to battery life concerns -- they couldn't deliver an optimal experience with the 3G chipsets available at the time.

A test was done in the past few months comparing 2.5/2.75G voice with 3G voice on iPhone and the Windows Mobile platform, and battery drain was twice the rate on 3G. Here's the link.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Apple has stated that they skipped 3G due to battery life concerns -- they couldn't deliver an optimal experience with the 3G chipsets available at the time.

A test was done in the past few months comparing 2.5/2.75G voice with 3G voice on iPhone and the Windows Mobile platform, and battery drain was twice the rate on 3G. Here's the link.

True 3G drains the battery faster, but EDGE is a step backward. You can't call an EDGE phone years ahead of it's time. Not when 3G's the way the world is moving. Plus the clarity difference between 3G and EDGE is significant!

Supes2000

Mar 17, 2006
Visit site
CDMA is just as bad...depending on the area...

I would buy an iphone in a hot minute if it was cdma, but I'll never go back to cingular, even if its called at&t...they dropped more the 50 percent of my calls, and when I could make a call it was all distorted and choppy. Add the worst customer service ever and it was a huge deal breaker. I was with cingular for years and right @ the merger things got bad.

Apple on the other hand is fantastic. I have always used them, my MBP runs vista ultimate, osx, and ubuntu. I don't agree with all there policies and the customer service is hit or miss, but the software and dev community is great.

The iphone needs evdo, a removable battery, keyboard, cut and past, true 3rd party apps(exist with hacks now), removable memory and I'm sold.

If palm does step it up, it will have to be major, because they have demonstrated a complete lack of innovation and support for their loyal customers.

I would go with the neo linux phone, but that is gsm, not cdma,

so this leaves me stuck choosing a blackberry, which doesn't have enough 3rd party apps or a windows/ HTC device, which will probably be where I go. Its not what I ideally want, but I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place and palm has abandoned me...b($tards!

Before I go into my point about the dependability of CDMA vs. GSM; let it be known that I am huge iPhone fanatic and my passion for this device now and in the future grows daily.

I live in the Chicagoland area and was a loyal Sprint customer for years. But, since the Nextel merger, they are not the same company. It seems that they have lost touch with their customer base and will not work to retain their customer base. I personally gave them 3 chances to do the right thing when my wife?s phone died and give pleaded to me some sort of credit towards a new handset. All they said is No.
All this while none of my 4 lines were under contract!

Further, since the merger, signal strength has diminished and dropped calls have soared. I consistently had less than two bars on my Treo, OUTSIDE of my home. Now I was okay with that annoyance to a point, I purchased a signal booster for my home, and called Sprint when the dropped calls became too much. But, when it these issues have ripple affects to other areas like customer service and resolution - - You lose me.

In the last few weeks of my relationship with Sprint, I had to wait anywhere from 30 minutes to 45 minutes on hold for a rep. I even had to record the last 2 conversations with customer service because each time I called, I was promised something different. then I was told there was no record of my previous contact.

Finally, after all this, I ported over all 4 of my lines to AT&T, (they rolled out the red carpet for me). Sprint tried to charge me for canceling my lines!!!! (Which were not under contract?)

AT&T has been great, customer service hold times have been less than 5 minutes, and the level care on the phone has been top class.

Now to the points brought up by Noodle:

I have had no issues with call quality and signal strength, in fact, I have full bars on my iPhone ? INSIDE my house!

EDGE is faster than Vision service and Sprint EVDO. Period. There are also some great test videos on this at you tube.

Battery removal can go either way with me. Every time I have purchased a replacement/additional battery, I have never used it. So for me, additional charger is enough; and some common sense on charging the battery. Another notion is that the battery reportedly has at least 1000 charges it can before any noticeable decline in charge life. That means in will be more than 3 years before you?d have to consider sending in the iPhone for a new battery, or simply invest in the latest phone out at the time.

3rd party apps. Give it some time people. The only area I can see this being a real issue is for games. I?d like to be able to play solitaire on the plane while on a plane. Since the release of the iPhone, there have been gluts of Web 2.0 apps that have popped up that provide all the workarounds for the iPhone?s perceived short comings. But, that being said, why would anyone buy an iPhone who has spotty data service. This phone is 100% dependant on constant data connectivity all the time. Even for its visual voicemail!

I am not knocking Sprint, they were good, but CDMA service has a lot of improvements to make. As I understand the other major CDMA providers have similar issues like Sprint does...so it GSM for me! Rock on iPhone!!!

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site

People with the Blackjack report the same thing. Even if the phone isnt being used for data, but being used for voice the battery drain is twice as fast when in 3G coverage.

Considering how fast the EDGE service is on the iPhone i'm very happy they went this route. When the 3G radios get more efficient I'm sure a switch will be made.

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
I think it's more like "when AT&T actually has a national 3G network the switch will be made."
Nah, most of the people live in cities in the US anyway, and soon this wont only be a US phone. Much of Europe already has 3G GSM data networks.

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
Finally, after all this, I ported over all 4 of my lines to AT&T, (they rolled out the red carpet for me). Sprint tried to charge me for canceling my lines!!!! (Which were not under contract?)

Supes - did they do anything other than welcome you with open arms? I have 3 lines with Sprint and I am digging the iPhone. However, I am under contract so it is gonna cost me. Maybe I'll just do one line and see how it works.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Glad i took the iphone back regardless after the price slash..

I'll definitely look at getting one in the future for myself though at 399 (thanks apple for the incentive). Guess i'll have to tell sprint i moved or something..lol

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
$399 definitely makes it much more attractive. I'll see where the iPhone is in a year's time, at least the price is more in line with my budget. Now they just need 3rd party apps ;)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77