iPad2: Wifi or 3G or Mifi?

ematts

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
I am about to buy an iPad2 (if there are any left) and don't know what strategy I should take:

• 1. Wifi only
  • 2. Wifi plus a Mifi subscription from ATT or VZ
  • 3. Wifi + 3G model

Don't know if I should do ATT or VZ in Philly with Mifi?

Don't know which 3G iPad VZ or ATT?

Don't know how much data I might be using and which package to buy?

The new hotspot plan from my iPhone sounds interesting which I can then use with my iPad but I'm not sure how this new service would work.

I will likely be a moderate user of the 3G service each month and will definitely not be my primary device. The idea of Mifi is interesting since I can use it with my netbook or laptop when I travel.

Thanks for all your input.

Matt

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
What kind of phone do you use? If you have an iPhone or Android phone you can tether for free or a small one time fee and make your device a wifi hotspot. My iPhone is my wifi hotspot for free by jailbreak.

Personally, I would never pay those prices for MiFi or to the carrier for mobile hotspot. But if you don't mind paying, I would say do the mobile hotspot over mifi. No sense in paying a lot more money and sign a contract when you have a device that does what you would need the Mifi for. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

ematts

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
I use an iPhone 4. I assume you are talking about jailbreaking my phone? I would be happy to pay a small one time fee. And I am not opposed to jailbreaking but have never done it before.

With 4.3 coming how far is jailbreaking going to be for that? Does it matter to me?

I would like to hear more about the "free" option of using my iPhone as a mobile hotspot. Which jailbreak solution should I use?

I tried jailbreaking 2 years ago and found it be a pain.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I use an iPhone 4. I assume you are talking about jailbreaking my phone? I would be happy to pay a small one time fee. And I am not opposed to jailbreaking but have never done it before.

With 4.3 coming how far is jailbreaking going to be for that? Does it matter to me?

I would like to hear more about the "free" option of using my iPhone as a mobile hotspot. Which jailbreak solution should I use?

I tried jailbreaking 2 years ago and found it be a pain.

I used the green poison jailbreak and it takes like 2 minutes. Just hook your phone up to the computer and follow the instructions. After jailbreak there is PDA net and MyWifi. Right now there is a free edition of PDA net (that I'm currently using that works fine) and MyWifi is trial period and then I think it's 15 bucks one time payment and good to go.

If you want to jailbreak, I wouldn't upgrade to 4.3 until there is a jailbreak available. Besides mobile hotspot there isn't a big reason to update to 4.3 especially if you are looking to jailbreak and tether at a low cost.

Do a google search for greenpoison jailbreak, or look in the jailbreak section of the forum to get all the info you need.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2