Survey: You have data plan with your iPad?

dalaen

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I have WiFi only currently, but will definitely upgrade to a Cellular model.
I live in France so it's different from your carrier, but the newest iPads are the first iPads in France to support our 4G/LTE frequencies. Moreover, my carrier gives me for free a 2nd SIM-card sharing the data consumption with my phone data plan.

You can do without Cellular on an iPad: you always have your iPhone with you anyway. It's not like you're with *no Internet at all*. But I think that opening your iPad in the train to start watching a movie or resume reading your book, and being able to have a sneak peak at a website, or check your emails from it, is just so good.

Last edited:

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I've had 2 iPads and have bought the wifi only for both of them. I haven't really regretted it. Having the cellular version would have come in handy in a few places but the extra cost of the ipad itself with yet another data plan has made it an easy decision for me.

nat750

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
I have an iPad mini 64gb with cellular & pay ?10 a month for 1gb of data with EE in the UK (that's not the 4g plan). I used to tether all the time because I have all you can eat data on my iPhone but it can kill battery life & be a mess about sometime connecting so now the tether is just there if I need it but 1gb seems enough for my iPad. I just use the tether for Netflix that's why I used 17.5gb one month on my phone data (thanks to Breaking Bad)

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Exactly my reasoning. My iPad mini has been my hotspot for my ps vita, 3ds and MacBook Air. The battery just goes forever when I need it. Since in on a family share plan, the iPad just uses the data from my phone anyway.

Great thinking, bro, I like that...

jodihansen

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I have 4G in my mini & use it a lot. I use it at work & while out. I'm in Australia where iPads are unlocked (not sure if they are in the US?) and I have a pre-paid sim. It's optional if I put data in it or not. I use Telstra since their 4G coverage is great here & I pay $180 for 12GB data with 12 months expiry. If I have remaining data left and I recharge the SIM, then the remaining data rolls over into the next year (or month if I was to pick the monthly recharge). I find that 12GB is plenty & the 12 month option makes it great since I can use it little one month & lots the next without thinking about it. So, for myself, it's worth getting the cellular version. For yourself though, I think you need to consider costs in your country vs how often you will use it.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I have purchased two iPad with retina (iPad4) units and both were LTE/WIFI units. I put them on my mobile share and pay only $10/ea per month for them. But we saw no point in wifi only, because we go a lot of places that wouldn't have a signal.

vic867

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I am definitely getting a data plan with my iPad Mini with Retina. I have a Verizon Family Plan and it is only 10 a month to add the iPad.

cyberpaw

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Verzon capable iPad 3 but a year later and I have never use it with my Verizon account. I think if I get a Mini I will just save the money and tether it it to my 5s.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Yep, it's only 10 a month for me as well on a verizon data sharing plan. Plus you should get a subsidy for your LTE ipad of 400 or more off making it cost less than a wifi only version.

Subsidy for iPad? This is the first I've heard of that... I had VZW iPad 3 (3.1, limited edition), purchased from VZW- def no subsidy then. Now have mini wi-fi only, amd need to go back to LTE with either mini2 or Air.

Details, please!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strawberrymelon