So since this morning, I've been drooling about the mini with retina display. I want to go for it this fall or Christmas and I was wondering if the wifi+cellular was worth it or not.

I could use both ways of connexions if I have it so I can't give an edge over one or another. Knowing this, do you guys have just wifi or wifi+4g models?

Is it work the extra money? Do you guys use it for work or just for pleasure?
    10-22-2013 08:08 PM
    I've only had the wifi models but the tmobile variant is tempting because they are apparently giving 200MB data for free. Not much but better than the other carriers.
    10-22-2013 08:10 PM
    Same here. I've only had Wi-Fi Only models. No data plan for my iPad Mini. By the way, would you like to include a voting survey with this thread?
    10-22-2013 08:16 PM
    Same here. I've only had Wi-Fi Only models. No data plan for my iPad Mini. By the way, would you like to include a voting survey with this thread?
    I would've liked to do so but didn't see the option with the iM app. Thanks for asking though!
    10-22-2013 08:21 PM
    This mini Retina is very tempting and have to decide on full size vs mini over the long period of time I would own it and of course the money difference.
    10-22-2013 08:26 PM
    So since this morning, I've been drooling about the mini with retina display. I want to go for it this fall or Christmas and I was wondering if the wifi+cellular was worth it or not.

I could use both ways of connexions if I have it so I can't give an edge over one or another. Knowing this, do you guys have just wifi or wifi+4g models?

Is it work the extra money? Do you guys use it for work or just for pleasure?
    I have a ipad 4 cell model .. I got it because I thought I would use it away from wifi .. Yes it has came in handy sometimes. Most of time I don't use it thou.
    The main thing you have to answer is how often to you take your ipad with you places ?
    For me I take it to work every day so it comes in handy for me when I do need it.
    If your mainly taking it places with wifi then no . If you want to use it outdoors like a park then it's worth it.
    10-22-2013 08:42 PM
    I have about 39 more weeks of a summer promo that AT&T had, 1GB/7days for .99.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.
    10-23-2013 10:59 AM
    I have about 39 more weeks of a summer promo that AT&T had, 1GB/7days for .99.

Well if that was the case, I'd gladly get the LTE model but being the data plans 30-50 bucks... I have to think twice
    10-23-2013 12:28 PM
    My current iPad mini has the data option but I've never used it. I can usually find a wifi signal.
    10-23-2013 02:18 PM
    I've always owned iPads with cell radios for in case I want to have a data plan. I can enable my data plan for 30 days if I want. And if I don't want it have it for 60 days, I can just discontinue it until I want it again.

It's worth it if you know you'll have a use for it in places that you won't get wifi.
    10-23-2013 02:39 PM
    I'm going to do wifi + data this time. T-mobile is offering free data for life on tablets and if you need more than the allotted 200MB, their plans seem to be more reasonable than the others. I love my Verizon service but I don't think I can pass this up!
    10-23-2013 08:44 PM
    I hate tethering on my phone, and it drains a ton of battery. Unless the day comes where tethering is a cost and battery effective solution, I will have data plans on any device I have, tablet or otherwise. And besides what's more cool than loading a James Bond movie on the move in a bus? lol
    10-24-2013 06:40 AM
    Well if that was the case, I'd gladly get the LTE model but being the data plans 30-50 bucks... I have to think twice
    Hey Kevin, the plan that I have now is no longer available anyway so once my plan runs out I'll be forced to select a higher one.

Last edited by Irish Rose; 10-25-2013 at 08:45 AM.
    10-25-2013 08:22 AM
    I hate tethering on my phone, and it drains a ton of battery. Unless the day comes where tethering is a cost and battery effective solution, I will have data plans on any device I have, tablet or otherwise. And besides what's more cool than loading a James Bond movie on the move in a bus? lol
    Exactly my reasoning. My iPad mini has been my hotspot for my ps vita, 3ds and MacBook Air. The battery just goes forever when I need it. Since in on a family share plan, the iPad just uses the data from my phone anyway.
    10-25-2013 09:06 AM
    I've been checking the data plans and so far I've found the T-mob one of 200mb/month for free... But definitely not enough and the coverage here around Fayetteville-ft Bragg is not good.

So looking into At&t the shared data plan of 4gb is 45/smartphone + 70month + 10/tablet or the 6gb for 35/smartphone + 90/month + 10/tablet. Definitely a rip-off in my opinion.

So I don't know what to do yet
    JoyfulHeart35 likes this.
    10-25-2013 09:19 AM
    Plus having a data plan on your iPads is a sexy tech savvy thing haha
    10-25-2013 07:00 PM
    I purchased the first two models wifi only, and regretted it. The last two models I purchased with LTE and it was great. As a Verizon Family Plan customer, to add a LTE iPad is only 10 dollars a month to my plan.
    10-25-2013 08:27 PM
    Mine I have the option for pre paid 20 bucks for 2 gb it's good for 30 days or when I use the 2 gb after that I have to authorize another 20 bucks if I want more .. if not I use it as wifi until I feel like paying for data again
    10-25-2013 09:01 PM
    I have the mini with wifi+cellular. I use it for work and home. I'm never without a signal. I will always buy now with both in the future.
    10-26-2013 04:00 AM
    I currently own the mini with wifi only, I regret not getting the cellular. Will be upgrading to the mini w/ retina wifi+cellular when available.
    Rocket_Girl likes this.
    10-26-2013 08:45 AM
    I purchased the first two models wifi only, and regretted it. The last two models I purchased with LTE and it was great. As a Verizon Family Plan customer, to add a LTE iPad is only 10 dollars a month to my plan.
    Yep, it's only 10 a month for me as well on a verizon data sharing plan. Plus you should get a subsidy for your LTE ipad of 400 or more off making it cost less than a wifi only version.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    10-26-2013 09:34 AM
    I have WiFi only currently, but will definitely upgrade to a Cellular model.
    I live in France so it's different from your carrier, but the newest iPads are the first iPads in France to support our 4G/LTE frequencies. Moreover, my carrier gives me for free a 2nd SIM-card sharing the data consumption with my phone data plan.

You can do without Cellular on an iPad: you always have your iPhone with you anyway. It's not like you're with *no Internet at all*. But I think that opening your iPad in the train to start watching a movie or resume reading your book, and being able to have a sneak peak at a website, or check your emails from it, is just so good.
    Last edited by dalaen; 10-29-2013 at 02:02 PM.
    10-26-2013 10:04 AM
    Mine I have the option for pre paid 20 bucks for 2 gb it's good for 30 days or when I use the 2 gb after that I have to authorize another 20 bucks if I want more .. if not I use it as wifi until I feel like paying for data again
    What plan is that Peligro?
    10-26-2013 10:55 AM
    I've had 2 iPads and have bought the wifi only for both of them. I haven't really regretted it. Having the cellular version would have come in handy in a few places but the extra cost of the ipad itself with yet another data plan has made it an easy decision for me.
    10-26-2013 11:04 AM
    I have an iPad mini 64gb with cellular & pay 10 a month for 1gb of data with EE in the UK (that's not the 4g plan). I used to tether all the time because I have all you can eat data on my iPhone but it can kill battery life & be a mess about sometime connecting so now the tether is just there if I need it but 1gb seems enough for my iPad. I just use the tether for Netflix that's why I used 17.5gb one month on my phone data (thanks to Breaking Bad)
    10-26-2013 11:53 AM
33 12