Should I charge my new iPad Air 2 while it is on, off, or completely powered off? Which is best?

I

iMore Question

Battery is now at 18 percent. So need to know. On, off, or powered off completely?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Are you concerned about battery memory? It was more of an issue with the old NiMh batteries, and even older lithium batteries. Modern lithium batteries aren't nearly as susceptible so it really doesn't matter. If you're looking for the quickest possible charge, put it in airplane mode and don't use it while it's charging.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Battery is now at 18 percent. So need to know. On, off, or powered off completely?
If you had turned your iPad Air 2 in your case or any other IOS device off once you plug the lightning cable in to charge it, It will automatically turn on anyway so it makes no difference what you do.
A few more things... Got try and extend your battery life and this DOES WORK, Turn on Low Battery Mode just before 20% and that will turn your battery indicator yellow letting you know it is on and once it hits 80% will turn off and charge to 100%.
You can ask Siri to do it and she will be happy t do it - Turn it on that is and off when it hits the 80% I spoke of.
More than you asked but that you would like to know but that's me.... LOL. :)

PS A good thing to let your iPad do is at least once or twice a month is to let it turn off on it's own and turn off letting your battery condition and last longer and you only have to do it when you think about it a few times a month as I said. God luck with all of this and thank you for the questions.

MrRJ

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
PS A good thing to let your iPad do is at least once or twice a month is to let it turn off on it's own and turn off letting your battery condition and last longer and you only have to do it when you think about it a few times a month as I said. God luck with all of this and thank you for the questions.

I'm no expert, but there's a lot of conflicting advice about this. I have read in various places that doing this can do more harm than good. My advice, is use the iPad. Charge when it needs to be charged and don't 'sweat the small stuff'...

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Yup, exactly. Modern batteries don't have memories. Old NiCAD did, but NiMH, Lipo, Lithium Ion and LiFE batteries don't typically do that...