Longtime bug in iPad Safari app

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm calling it a bug when it's likely more of a design flaw. I'm pretty sure I've posted about this before but years later this still bothers me.

In Safari on the iPad, when you click on a bookmark from the bookmark bar on the left...the bookmark bar does not automatically slide out of the way. You have to tap the bookmark icon at the top of the screen.

It didn't used to be this way. This started with an iOS update several years ago when I was still using an iPad 4. The bar used to slide away automatically, which made total sense. Why would you want that bar to remain on the screen? Apple built an extra step into the process.

Thoughts on this? Am I missing something?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That seem to only happen when you initiate the bookmark bar by selecting the bookmark icon. However, if you select the "+" option in the upper right corner to display a new tab, the bookmark bar automatically appears on the left side of the screen. After selecting a specific bookmark, the bookmark bar disappears as it should.

Last edited:

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
That seem to only happen when you initiate the bookmark bar by selecting the bookmark icon. However, if you select the "+" option in the upper right corner to display a new tab, the bookmark bar automatically appears on the left side of the screen. After selecting a specific bookmark, the bookmark bar disappears as it should.

That does work, but now you're opening an extra tab in the process. Seriously, what was the point of this change? It's weird that nobody seems to know, but it's fairly well established that this change came with an iOS update. I'm going by all the Googling I've done on the issue. I can't imagine that this doesn't bother the iPad owners that actually work at Apple. That's why I'm wondering what I'm missing. The solution cannot be to open an extra tab.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That does work, but now you're opening an extra tab in the process. Seriously, what was the point of this change? It's weird that nobody seems to know, but it's fairly well established that this change came with an iOS update. I'm going by all the Googling I've done on the issue. I can't imagine that this doesn't bother the iPad owners that actually work at Apple. That's why I'm wondering what I'm missing. The solution cannot be to open an extra tab.

Send Apple feedback. They do read it.
Feedback
https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html#mn_p

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I just bought the new iPad 9.7 last night, so I'm, still playing with it. After setup the first thing I did was update the OS, so it's running 10.3.1 (14E304).

When I open Safari and tap on the Bookmarks Icon on the top left, it opens the Bookmark Bar. I go through my bookmarks and choose a site I want to visit. After tapping on a bookmark link the Bookmark Bar closes automatically. I don't have to tap on the Bookmark Icon to close it.

Kilwillie

May 4, 2017
Visit site
I just bought the new iPad 9.7 last night, so I'm, still playing with it. After setup the first thing I did was update the OS, so it's running 10.3.1 (14E304).

When I open Safari and tap on the Bookmarks Icon on the top left, it opens the Bookmark Bar. I go through my bookmarks and choose a site I want to visit. After tapping on a bookmark link the Bookmark Bar closes automatically. I don't have to tap on the Bookmark Icon to close it.

Are you in portrait or landscape mode? Mine does that when in portrait, but it stays open when in landscape.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Are you in portrait or landscape mode? Mine does that when in portrait, but it stays open when in landscape.

Ah, you're right!! I'm so use to not always being able to use landscape mode on my phone, so I had the iPad on portrait. The Bookmark Bar does indeed stay out when in landscape mode. How awful!

I also do not have a cover for it yet, so perhaps when I get one I'll use landscape mode more often, except in Safari lol. Yeah, that's annoying.

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

Holy crap! You're right! I never use the iPad in portrait mode. This makes me think it's a design flaw vs. a bug for sure. They actually made this change on purpose with an iOS update. Unreal.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2