Something has started draining my battery recently

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
I have a 32 GB Wi-Fi only ipad3. For many weeks, before I loaded many apps on it, it used to drain very little battery when not in use (like overnight). Maybe 1-2% at the most.

Recently, I notice that I am losing up to 50% overnight even when the ipad is not being used, with the screen off and all apps closed. I have disabled bluetooth and location services and removed all apps from the notification center.

Any ideas on what to try next? Cold reset (Power and home buttons pressed down simultaneously)?

BTW, I notice that even after a cold reset, the apps previously loaded still show up when you double tap the home button.

How do I do a reset so that no apps get loaded and get active?

Aloke

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
None of those apps are loaded when you reboot. It just shows the list of recently used apps. If you open each one, you'll notice it goes through the full loading process. As for what is draining your battery, I don't know.

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a 32 GB Wi-Fi only ipad3. For many weeks, before I loaded many apps on it, it used to drain very little battery when not in use (like overnight). Maybe 1-2% at the most.

Recently, I notice that I am losing up to 50% overnight even when the ipad is not being used, with the screen off and all apps closed. I have disabled bluetooth and location services and removed all apps from the notification center.

Any ideas on what to try next? Cold reset (Power and home buttons pressed down simultaneously)?

BTW, I notice that even after a cold reset, the apps previously loaded still show up when you double tap the home button.

How do I do a reset so that no apps get loaded and get active?

Aloke

Can you remeber the last app that you installed before that battery started draining. 50% is a lot, it almost sounds like you iPad is fully working on something whilst in stand by. Very strange!! If you can't get to the bottom of it, I would start with a fresh restore. At least that way, you can eliminate that it isn't the battery itself. Only reason I say that is because a friend of mine bought one recently and it did the same thing and it turned out to be the battery itself. Therfore apple replaced it no questions asked.

Good luck!! ;)

eric6052

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes if defiantly sounds like you have an app that is running in tHe background constantly. I've had that happen once on my Droid X. Try uninstalling apps one at a time to see if that gets rid of the problem and if that doesn't work try the complete reset.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Do you have an RSS/newsreader app that is updating automatically? What about the pull times for your non-push email accounts, if applicable? Any Zynga games?

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Vox

Jan 16, 2009
Visit site
This sounds unbelievable, but it works for me whenever my battery goes weird...I read this in a forum somewhere and have been doing it for the last 2 years or so, whenever my battery starts draining like crazy.

1) Go into your mail preferences and erase every account. If your accounts are pop3 instead of imap or exchange, DO NOT do it, or you'll lose all your mail...otherwise, go ahead.
2) Shut down your phone
3) Turn on your phone
4) Re-add your accounts.
5) Enjoy your battery.

My guess is that there's a mail process that is getting stuck, and since mail is a load-from-boot app, simply rebooting doesn't do a thing...but the above described method has worked for me 3 or 4 times in the last couple of years, whenever I get weird battery issues.

Hope it helps.

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
This sounds unbelievable, but it works for me whenever my battery goes weird...I read this in a forum somewhere and have been doing it for the last 2 years or so, whenever my battery starts draining like crazy.

1) Go into your mail preferences and erase every account. If your accounts are pop3 instead of imap or exchange, DO NOT do it, or you'll lose all your mail...otherwise, go ahead.
2) Shut down your phone
3) Turn on your phone
4) Re-add your accounts.
5) Enjoy your battery.

My guess is that there's a mail process that is getting stuck, and since mail is a load-from-boot app, simply rebooting doesn't do a thing...but the above described method has worked for me 3 or 4 times in the last couple of years, whenever I get weird battery issues.

Hope it helps.

Would be interesting if this works. :)

iSpi7Fire

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It's an app issue (probably email - in most cases on exchange accounts because I encountered a bug on the iOS 4 firmware one time in which the exchange account queries the server every 5 minutes, regardless of the override settings of push be it manual or automatic) or a battery issue. You can test it by removing all email accounts. If it continues it's the battery which youll need to replace your device for.

pinzk

May 24, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue... it was an App

I had the same issue and it ended up being an App that drained the battery. In my case it was BRIA a SIP Client for VoIP Calls and online chat that keeps the UDP port open while in background (so registration is stable, but it drains the battery). After I found this issue by pure luck I did stop using the App and everything is find now.

Just my two cents...I hope this helps.

zstairlessone

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I know this may be silly, but is your bluetooth turned on? Also on my phone, but not on the pad, after updating to 5.1.1 my battery life is so bad I can have the phone inactive for 10 minutes and it goes down by 1-2%. I have let the battery go down to less than 20% (the low battery warning surprised me) and done a full recharge which hasn't helped. It may be something that you are using combined with the new update causing this. I don't have everything from my phone on my pad so it is going to be a setting or software causing it to happen.

Speszel

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
The Apple "Genius" can run diagnostics on your iDevice to show what is happening, shows battery condition, how it is being charged, how often, bad apps causing crashes etc, takes very little time, make an appointment and let them check it out. Replaced my iPhone due to bad battery. Found a bad app on the iPad.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lakeland Ghost