Battery: Slow charge, quick drain...

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
What experiences are you having w/ battery...charging and draining?

Mine seems to charge extremely s l o w l y, yet drain more quickly than iPad2. have had it plugged in all afternoon, to get from 72-88... still not fully charged. I realize that using it while charging saps some of the charge, but this is pretty different from my experience w/ iPad 2.

What are others seeing?

SwsFoe

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I tried using my phone charger to charge my iPad and it was taking forever. So I switched over to the one that came with the iPad itself and it charged much more quickly. As far as drainage it seems about right to me. I haven't been playing many games but ive been using it constantly and my iPad was at 100% around 11am, it's now 5:30 and at 82%

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I tried using my phone charger to charge my iPad and it was taking forever. So I switched over to the one that came with the iPad itself and it charged much more quickly. As far as drainage it seems about right to me. I haven't been playing many games but ive been using it constantly and my iPad was at 100% around 11am, it's now 5:30 and at 82%

wow - mine drains a LOT more quickly than that... Losing 20% or more per hour, with mostly constant use. For me, constant = email, newspapers, Facebook and random web stuff (like iMore).

Mine is 4g on Verizon (32GB) - wonder if this is different for 4g compared w/ wi-fi. My iPad 2 was wi-fi only, and battery life was great.

aggieastrosfan

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
wow - mine drains a LOT more quickly than that... Losing 20% or more per hour, with mostly constant use. For me, constant = email, newspapers, Facebook and random web stuff (like iMore).

Mine is 4g on Verizon (32GB) - wonder if this is different for 4g compared w/ wi-fi. My iPad 2 was wi-fi only, and battery life was great.

Have you tried turning off cellular data when on wifi? I started doing this at home when I noticed a pretty quick battery drain. I'm at 10% right now, but I started the day at about 65%. It's a new toy, I've been on it quite a bit all day, some of that on 4g. Even used the hotspot a bit to let the kiddo watch TV on "his" iPad (my old 2) :roll eyes:

I have noticed the battery doing much better when I turn off cellular data when I don't need it.

Sent from my new Verizon 4G iPad using Tapatalk HD

triantic

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
iPad 3 slow charge, quick drain stopgap

New VZ LTE iPad 3 charges slow, drains fast. Markedly.

1. Took to not-so-genius bar. Diagnosis is I have to do a 'deep firmware fix' which will require a synch, not iCloud back up. Apparently I have some corrupt core applications and an iCloud restore will just overwrite the fixes. have not gotten to this yet but will do and report out.

2. Meanwhile, I upgraded to the Griffen LOD-USB 20 gauge charging cable and 2.1 amp charger. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. The device is finally performing like its Predecessors power-wise.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I've noticed my at&t ipad drains a bit more slowly than the verizon one i had. No clue why and i'm not exactly complaining. Though i did set each up as a new ipad so i'm pretty sure it's not an app. Cellular is off most of time.

Both take longer to charge than the ipad 2 did but that's understandable.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
My charge is slow, but I get a lot of usage out of mine. I can sit for hours watching Netflix, YouTube, playing games, on social sites, browsing and not even be at 20% after the day is over. At least that was with the iPad I just took back; I haven't tested this one out yet. The first was a 32gb LTE model, second is a 64gb LTE model. So its the same, should have the same results. At least I hope so. The wi-fi model also charges slow but drains slow to me.

Keep in mind the faster processor though.

Vortec 5.3

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
New VZ LTE iPad 3 charges slow, drains fast. Markedly.

1. Took to not-so-genius bar. Diagnosis is I have to do a 'deep firmware fix' which will require a synch, not iCloud back up. Apparently I have some corrupt core applications and an iCloud restore will just overwrite the fixes. have not gotten to this yet but will do and report out.

2. Meanwhile, I upgraded to the Griffen LOD-USB 20 gauge charging cable and 2.1 amp charger. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. The device is finally performing like its Predecessors power-wise.

Isn't that like $60.00? What does that do, that the original cable and wall adaptor can't do?

Chop

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Isn't that like $60.00? What does that do, that the original cable and wall adaptor can't do?

Not sure about his, but it's a much thicker and more durable cable. Mine charges rather quickly. Added bonus of the length (about 10'). I didn't get the additional power adapter, as the original one works fine for me. I was a bit wary of doubling the wattage anyway when charging (the one I contemplated buying was rated at 20W).

Also, you can get them from Amazon for under $20.

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
First off, the larger charger that comes with the iPad is a 10w charger while the smaller iPhone charger is only 5w so it'll take a lot longer to charge. If a device charges really, really fast and uses up its juice really, really fast, that's usually the sign of a shot battery. You might want to take it to the Apple store to have it checked out if that's what's happening. I get a hella lot of hours off my slow charging iPad. When I'm at work I'm usually streaming Pandora through my iPad into computer speakers with it plugged in most the time and have had no problems with the battery. I did this for over a year with my iPad Classic and had a perfectly good operating battery when I sold it.

drethos

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Mine charges great off anything I plug it into. My MacBook, the charger it came with, and the car charger. I use mine a lot during the day. Usually end an 8hr day at around 64% if I'm not in my truck all day. Granted I'm not gaming when I'm on it.

infoghost

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I feel like I am getting slightly less battery life too. Nothing major enough for a complaint (I'll take a hit for that awesome screen) but I do think that at the end of the day, it's a little less than my ipad 1.

Charging isn't a surprise, but I do sort of wish they built a new charger for the new ipad, knowing it takes longer.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2