iPad as an e-reader, recommended?

CavemanOOGA

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so lately I have been reading quite a lot. I'm a budding nutritionalist/herbologist who's been buying book after book.

I've found a book that I've been wanting for a while now in the iBooks store, and I'm kind of torn between spending the $10 on the iPad or ordering a REAL copy for $15.

Any book readers out there have an opinion on this? Pro's, con's? Let me know.

Thanks all.

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so lately I have been reading quite a lot. I'm a budding nutritionalist/herbologist who's been buying book after book.

I've found a book that I've been wanting for a while now in the iBooks store, and I'm kind of torn between spending the $10 on the iPad or ordering a REAL copy for $15.

Thanks all.

I haven't used mine as an e-reader, but I've used my iPad outdoors once, and not that its bad or particularly difficult to see, but I don't think it makes a great e-reader in direct sunlight. It makes me want to turn up the brightness more, but its already at max.

iamtone

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site

Thanks all.

i havent had any problem with mine outdoors dealing with sunlight

i think its a better looking ebook reader then kindle and nook

Jemjee

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I use my iPad for books, and love it. However, I use the Kindle app and get my books from amazon. I've found that many books are more expensive in iBooks than in the kindle store.

CavemanOOGA

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
I haven't used mine as an e-reader, but I've used my iPad outdoors once, and not that its bad or particularly difficult to see, but I don't think it makes a great e-reader in direct sunlight. It makes me want to turn up the brightness more, but its already at max.

I figured this would be the case with sunlight. Luckily, I don't plan on reading outside. ;)

CavemanOOGA

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
I use my iPad for books, and love it. However, I use the Kindle app and get my books from amazon. I've found that many books are more expensive in iBooks than in the kindle store.

Do you ever feel like your straining your eyes? That's mostly what I'm worried about.

I don't want it to feel like a chore to read something on the iPad, ya know? Which, in general, it doesn't. Reading forums or reading a sample from the iBooks store is a breeze... Unless I blast the brightness to max. Lol.

CalifJewls

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I have Kindle, Nook and iBooks on my iPad and prefer Kindle to the other readers, I find I like Kindles layout better. I don't have any problems outdoors, but I'm usually outside under an awning when reading. We have bookshelves full of books and the only way we read nowadays is with our iPads, there's something to be said about having your whole book library with you wherever you go, plus reading in bed is awesome, no bright lights on, blinding the other person trying to sleep or book lights in the way when you try to turn pages.

I would highly recommend your iPad as your reader, but on the other hand, if it's a collectible or a special book, I wouldn't hesitate in buying a hard copy to keep. But for everyday reading it's the iPad any day.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have Kindle, Nook and iBooks on my iPad and prefer Kindle to the other readers, I find I like Kindles layout better. I don't have any problems outdoors, but I'm usually outside under an awning when reading. We have bookshelves full of books and the only way we read nowadays is with our iPads, there's something to be said about having your whole book library with you wherever you go, plus reading in bed is awesome, no bright lights on, blinding the other person trying to sleep or book lights in the way when you try to turn pages.

I would highly recommend your iPad as your reader, but on the other hand, if it's a collectible or a special book, I wouldn't hesitate in buying a hard copy to keep. But for everyday reading it's the iPad any day.

I agree! I have about 50 books in the Kindle format on my iPad... comes in handy for reference, for reading and for making my family jealous!

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If your wanting top use it JUST AS AN E-READER, then save your self the money and get a Nook or a Kindle. Sure it may not look as good as the iPad but you save money and in todays enconney you would be stupid not to.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
If your wanting top use it JUST AS AN E-READER, then save your self the money and get a Nook or a Kindle. Sure it may not look as good as the iPad but you save money and in todays enconney you would be stupid not to.

That's silly. Why would anyone want to use it just as an e-reader? When you factor in what all it can do or replace, it's a bargain compared to a one function e-reader.

But it sounds like the OP already has an ipad and is just wanting to know if buying an ebook is worthwhile. If is concern is eyestrain, then just download a free sample and start reading?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
There's another thread (several actually), discussing the same thing. If you don't have a huge amount of money to blow, and only want to read books, get a Nook or a Kindle. The iPad makes a lousy ebook reader - it's too big, and too heavy.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
If you want a good e-reader and a somewhat mini tablet experience, get a nook from barnes and noble. I love my iPad for reading, but thats not that same for everyone. I set my lady up this way, and she can boot android from an SD. Soon B&N is pushing an update of android of their own. So it's a good reader and you can play some games and browse the web all for $250, not bad....

Reactions: anon(52425)

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm reading George Bush's Decision Points now and the eReader is awesome. I took it to the beach here in Hawaii and didn't have one issue with the sun.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
That's silly. Why would anyone want to use it just as an e-reader? When you factor in what all it can do or replace, it's a bargain compared to a one function e-reader.

But it sounds like the OP already has an ipad and is just wanting to know if buying an ebook is worthwhile. If is concern is eyestrain, then just download a free sample and start reading?

How is it silly? Why do they make e-readers then?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
How is it silly? Why do they make e-readers then?

So people can read books?

But the silliness was you saying "if you want to use the ipad just as an e-reader" Now why would anyone want to do that?

How about if you just want to use the ipad as a camera? Does that make any sense either? Then i'll just conclude the person should buy a cheapo digital camera instead. It may not look as good but in this economy you would be stupid not to..lol

ProjMob_Chris

Mar 17, 2011
www.prjctmobile.com
My personal experience with the iPad as an ereader has been mixed. It has pretty much every content store and reading app you can think of - iBooks is very, very good. You won't have a problem finding a book you want to read or a great app to read it in. The issue I've come to find, which may be limited to me, is that after about 30-40 minutes I start to feel my eyes straining and I get a little headache from reading off the screen. On my Nook long reading sessions were never an issue. If you can handle only reading in short bursts or only read in short bursts you will absolutely love the iPad as an ereader.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So people can read books?

But the silliness was you saying "if you want to use the ipad just as an e-reader" Now why would anyone want to do that?

How about if you just want to use the ipad as a camera? Does that make any sense either? Then i'll just conclude the person should buy a cheapo digital camera instead. It may not look as good but in this economy you would be stupid not to..lol

Your sort of missing my whole point. (very typical of an apple fanboy) Those who just want to read books are better off with an e-reader. Just because it has an apple logo on it does not mean you have to buy it.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I have a Pandigital Novel. It started out as a very cheap e-reader ($125). It's been updated to full fledged Android now. So it does plenty of stuff including email and web browsing. But it's a much more comfortable e-reader than the larger/heavier iPad.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77