Email Issues on POP Accounts - Spontaneous Loading of Older Mail

Gator5000e

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
Hey all. Hope someone can help me out here. On my iPhone 6S running 9.1, I am having 2 main email issues with my POP email accounts. I don't know if they are interrelated or not. And sorry for the long post.

First issue is my phone loads about 24 hours of worth of mail, even though they have already been downloaded in Outlook 2010 on my PC already (Windows 10). Before iOS 9, getting my mail in Outlook used to keep them from loading on the phone. That is, if I opened Outlook first, the mail loaded into Outlook would not be loaded on my phone. The only mail I would get on the phone would be mail that I hadn't gotten in Outlook yet. I do not have the "delete from server" option checked in Outlook. I have never done that in the past. Before iOS 9, the phone would not load any mail that I had downloaded to my PC. It would only get mail that I hadn't loaded to the PC yet.

The second issue is that the phone will spontaneously load mail. I have always had my my mail accounts set to manual retrieve. No fetch, no auto loading of mail. Yet at various times, like when I reboot the phone, my mail will load without my actually accessing the mail accounts through the phone's mail app. I then run into the problem above where I get about 24 hours worth of mail. This is driving me crazy having to delete the same mail 120 emails already loaded and read in Outlook.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had these issues and if so how to fix them.

Thanks.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I haven't done POP email in about a decade, but I used to support a POP email client. Does the iPhone have any option in the email account regarding what to do about "read" messages on the server? If it does, one of the action options should be to not retrieve it.

Gator5000e

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
If I understand that would remove mail from the server after I have read it on my phone. I don't want to do that. I need to be able to get mail on my desktop in Outlook even if I have read it on the phone. What used to happen was after the mail was downloaded to Outlook on my desktop, I would get it again on my phone. That is what I want to go back to. And so I can't tell if this is an Outlook issue, Windows 10 issue or an iOS 9 issue.

dougef2

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I am having the exact same issues. Was working fine on my 2 previous iPhones and on my current iPhone 6 before iOS 9. I am very frustrated.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2