unable to connect to Personal Hotspot

tokyotony

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
When my phone was on the latest version of iOS 8 and my iPad on 9.1 Beta 1, I had no issue connecting my iPad to my iPhone using Personal Hotspot. Now that I've upgraded to iOS9 on my iPhone, it won't connect. Anyone else having this issue?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Reinstall a fresh copy of iOS 9 via iTunes and then set it up as new. Afterwards, try to connect your iPad to your iPhone via the personal hotspot feature.

teekay17

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
I too have the same issue of not being able to connect my iPad Air 2 to my iPhone 6 using Personal Hotspot (and vice versa) after upgrading to iOS 9 on both devices. Both the iPad and iPhone 6 appear on the other device's Personal Hotspots list but return the following error message when connecting: "Remote Hotspot Failure, Unable to start personal hotspot "iPhone 6" (or "iPad")".

I also have an iPhone 5S work phone upgraded to iOS 9 and the strangest thing is the 5S has no problem connecting to both the iPad and iPhone 6 using Personal Hotspots and vice versa.

Have contacted Apple Support and spoken to a couple of technicians including a Senior Technician which was a waste of time as they have no clue whatsoever!!!

Has anybody done a restore / reinstall as suggested by Just_Me_D and does it work?

Last edited:

Nuno Marques Luis

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Same problem here... After upgrading both iphone 6 and ipad air 2 to ios 9 it gives that error when trying to use personal hotspot... I cannot find any workaround to fix this error yet. Did the fresh install solve the problem? The error doesn't appear when I connect an iphone 5...

dj_foo

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue

Not just the ipad, but NO device can connect to the hotspot. They can see it, but I get an "incorrect password" error.

I have been on live chat with apple all day. Have tried resetting, restoring and still no joy.

Will keep you posted if I find a solution

maccast

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm having exactly the same issue. I'm trying a restore of the iPad now and will let you know how it goes. If anyone finds a fix, please share it.

CPekrZ2U8AAw7-z.jpg

dj_foo

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Still no joy.

Someone from Apple is calling me today to discuss. Incidentally what colour is your iPhone 6?

Both myself, and a colleague, have the same problems with Space Grey - direct from Apple.

jhon joppy

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same issue on my iPad. Before update to ios9 it was working perfectly, but after update to ios9 , personal hotspot has stopped working. I tried every method I got from Google search

dj_foo

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
An interesting development

After several resets and restores at work with no joy I left it. When I got home, it worked.

This morning on the way to work in the car it was connected and now, again at work, no connection.

I have a 4g signal on my iphone but the hotspot feature will not accept incoming connections.

How odd... thankfully I have wifi at work and home and only NEED this feature away from wifi (which it seems to work anywhere other than my pace of work.)
I am extremely confused and will do some research to see if I can figure out a reason for this

tokyotony

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
The only thing that ended up working for me was to do a full restore on the iPad. A bit of a pain, but it seems to work perfectly now.

Uncle Mark

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with my iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6. I installed 9.1 but its still a problem. I did, however, notice that if I connect via bluetooth, instead of wifi, it works. Also check for updates on the iPad got it to connect automatically. It's a workaround that I can live with until it gets fixed.

twinlight

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. I have never tried it before but visiting my mother I'm now without wifi and tried the hotspot feature. It even activates the hotspot on my phone and the fails. Tried rebooting both devices to luck.

dj_foo

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Interestingly I managed to get it to work correctly today.

There's a setting in "Mobile Data" at the bottom called "WiFi Assist" which used data when you have a poor WiFi signal.

Turned that off, wondering if it was messing with the Hotspot, and now it works perfectly wherever I am.

Maybe a workaround and maybe a glitch but I dont NEED WiFi assist anyway... anyone on a limited data plan should switch it off :)

acssnipa

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi there,

I had same issue, iPad Air (grey) on iOS 8.4 with iPhone 6s plus (pink) on iOS 9.0.1 With wifi assist off. when try to connect personal hot spot get connect error vice versa. But when I check in Bluetooth its shows xxxx's iPad/iPhone. So I turn Bluetooth off from both devices and now I can connect both of my devices use personal hot spot on each other. Hope this help.

Regards:big-hug:

deanotek

Jun 9, 2017
Visit site
Hi guys. I have had the same issue for months now. At home I could not connect my iPhone 6 hotspot to my ipad2. When trying to connect it would always ask for the password and when putting in the password correctly it would say "incorrect password". Frustrating to the hilt!! Went into the Apple Store today in Perth, Western Australia and you guessed it. Worked perfectly! ?????? Got home. Same bloody issue! So it got me thinking it only does it at home so maybe wifi interference. I turn of the whole house power to kill all wifi devices and possible electrical interference and it connects perfectly every time! I have a wifi router for my intra room cable
Tv/Foxtel and found that to be the little ******* causing the issue. Router turned off now all good. Finally. If I had to deal with it any longer the iPad and phone would have been frisbees!!!

nan11

Oct 22, 2017
Visit site
The solution was the same for me - personal hotspot is not working with wifi assist on. iPhone 8 here. Turned it off and hotspot works. Strange. I hope Apple reads this forum.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner