Auto-brightness not working!

himmatsj

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I am pretty happy with my new iOS device, but the auto-brightness is NOT working! Kinda irritating I have to manually set things every time I get into a dark room and then out, and into the sunlight etc.

Mine is an Apple iPad Mini Retina running on iOS 7.1.1.

Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
1. Disable auto-brightness.
2. Go into a dark room and set the desired leo for low light conditions.
3. Re-enable Auto-brightness.
4. Walk outside and see if the brightness level automatically increases. It should.
5. Now go back to the dark room and see if the level decreases back to your preset level. It should.

himmatsj

May 5, 2014
Visit site
4 happens, but not 5. I can see the brightness increasing when I do this going from dark to bright, but not the other way round.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
4 happens, but not 5. I can see the brightness increasing when I do this going from dark to bright, but not the other way round.
Sometimes it takes a while to decrease the brightness. Give it time.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

himmatsj

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Wow, it's a serious issue then. Weird, cause it is Apple and they haven't taken steps to counter this issue nor address it publicly since it is somewhat common.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Wow, it's a serious issue then. Weird, cause it is Apple and they haven't taken steps to counter this issue nor address it publicly since it is somewhat common.

My auto-brightness has a mind of its own! Couldn't take it anymore and just turned it off.

himmatsj

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Guys take a look at this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5576561

Apparently some guys are claiming for the screen to dim, you need to sleep/wake your device. Now, this works for me.

But that still doesn't make sense. Things are fine with my older iPad 2 on iOS 7.1.1 as well, and my brothers iPhone 5s.

Another guy on that same thread says he went to an Apple store, compared to their display model there, and saw that theirs was dimming and not his. Apparently, he got a new replacement tablet.

I'm wondering if I should do the same.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

I don't know if this is a "common" issue or an issue on how apple has not been clear on how the feature works and how it can be customized. As for me the auto brightness works as advertised, although the device takes a few moments to recognize the room has gone dark.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

himmatsj

May 5, 2014
Visit site
What do you mean by that exactly? To my understanding, when turned on, AB should work like this: screen brightens when moving into more light, and darkens when moving into low light areas. Is my understanding wrong?

So basically you are saying on iOS 7.1.1 (or anything iOS7 and above) it works like how I understand it to work? What device?

It works just one way for me (brightens when moving to bright areas), but not the other way round. If you search Google, many others have the same issue. Calibration doesn't help.

himmatsj

May 5, 2014
Visit site
So I went to an Apple service centre, and apparently this is how things work on ios 7. They showed all the latest devices on display were the same. Brightness only goes up, and never down.

Ios 6 obviously wasn't like this. Any chance they may address this in ios 8?

Reparkable

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
With iOS 7 auto brightness, the brightness level you set stays at the level you set at that given light level.
So if your in a low light room, set the level. Next go into a high light level room and set the level. iOS 7 remembers the light level you set in that particular situation. The auto brightness will adjust as you move about with your device

Sent from my Retina iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app

Reparkable

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
So I went to an Apple service centre, and apparently this is how things work on ios 7. They showed all the latest devices on display were the same. Brightness only goes up, and never down.

Not true for me. I just turned off the light in my room, with the auto brightness set, it automatically dimmed my Retina Mini

Sent from my Retina iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app

himmatsj

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Come on man. I have a Retina Mini myself on the latest OS.

So what should I do if Apple Service Centre is telling me there is no issue?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77