Android owner wanting to know about iOS streaming apps

Dark Penguin

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
As a current user of the Android OS, I'm content with that except for the fact that one or two apps I'd very much like to use are available only for iPhone, and as a result I might look at some kind of iPhone when it comes to be time for a new phone.

One criticism of Apple frequently heard on the Android side is that the company limits your access to content, and I'm wondering how justified that accusation is. Using radio streaming apps on my Android device I can access not only made-up (i.e. Internet based) radio "stations", which I tend to despise, but also real brick-and-mortar broadcasters from all over the world. I live in California but I like to listen to German radio, and I can do that.

Does Apple's operating system allow one to do that? Or do iPhones only offer Internet "stations" plus maybe some brick and mortar stations that are in my region? Is there a version of the TuneIn app for iOS as well as for Android?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
TuneIn Radio and iHeart Radio work very well. Pandora is pretty good as well.

Dark Penguin

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
Request

TuneIn Radio and iHeart Radio work very well. Pandora is pretty good as well.

If you haven't already done this for yourself, could you run a simple experiment for me?

(a) Using TuneIn, try to tune a station which broadcasts in your primary language (presumably English), but from another part of the world, e.g. Australia if you're in America or Canada if you're in the UK.

(b) Same as above, but this time find a station that is not in any of the commonly spoken languages in your region; e.g. if you're in California then Spanish, Mandarin, Farsi, and Urdu won't do.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
TuneIn radio is my favorite streaming app...i use it all the time to listen to radio shows i miss for whatever reason, and it streams perfectly where i am.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you haven't already done this for yourself, could you run a simple experiment for me?

(a) Using TuneIn, try to tune a station which broadcasts in your primary language (presumably English), but from another part of the world, e.g. Australia if you're in America or Canada if you're in the UK.
Dance Radio 89.0 Czech Republic -- played songs in English and the stream was excellent.

(b) Same as above, but this time find a station that is not in any of the commonly spoken languages in your region; e.g. if you're in California then Spanish, Mandarin, Farsi, and Urdu won't do.

North America /St. Pierre Miquelon /French /1ere -- Songs played in French and the stream was excellent.

Dark Penguin

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
Cool, thanks!

I only asked because I know that other features of mobile devices are region-controlled. For example, here in L.A. if I wanted to change the language of my phone's menus and default displays, I could choose from most of the ones I listed above. But I can't change it to French or German as there are no significant numbers speaking those languages here.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2