Is this true?

humanmusic

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
"3GS phone with 4th and 5th serial numbers of 40 or above cannot be jailbroken"

I thought they all could be jailbroken, just not unlocked?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
"3GS phone with 4th and 5th serial numbers of 40 or above cannot be jailbroken"

I thought they all could be jailbroken, just not unlocked?

Where'd you get that?

There is so much misinformation out there, it's ridiculous.

Most MC model iPhone 3GS, will have a tethered jailbreak ( this is where the 4th and 5th #s also come into play ). If these devices have been updated to 3.1.3 or have come with 3.1.3 pre-installed, they cannot be jailbroken.

dragonc12

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
if you have a 3GS running 3.1.3 and you have NEVER been jailbroken or if you do not have SHSH's saved in Cydia, than you CANNOT jailbreak at this time.

if you are running 3.1.2, then you can jailbreak.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You can save the shsh in Cydia if you are currently jailbroken by opening Cydia and tapping on "make my life easier." If you're not currently j/b, you can't do it.

humanmusic

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
You can save the shsh in Cydia if you are currently jailbroken by opening Cydia and tapping on "make my life easier." If you're not currently j/b, you can't do it.

Disregard anything Alli says.

You can't go to cydia on your phone UNLESS its jailbroken anyways, and they no longer have the "make my life easier." because Apple changed something so saving shsh's won't help now. If you previously were able to get them saved on cydia then you are ok, but no one can go to cydia now and save their shsh's.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Disregard anything Alli says.

You can't go to cydia on your phone UNLESS its jailbroken anyways, and they no longer have the "make my life easier." because Apple changed something so saving shsh's won't help now. If you previously were able to get them saved on cydia then you are ok, but no one can go to cydia now and save their shsh's.

I don't know who you think you are or what you think you know but Alli gave the exact right answer.

If the user is jailbroken he can go on and tap "make my life easier" to save current and future shsh firmware blobs.

Nothing was changed, and 3.1.3 SHSH blobs have been and are saved currently. If you have proof otherwise, provide a link with a posting by saurik.

As of April 1st:
Twitter / Jay Freeman (saurik): In case anyone was wonderi ...

SHSH files are saved, but only the SHSH for the CURRENT firmware is able to be saved.

humanmusic

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't know who you think you are or what you think you know but Alli gave the exact right answer.

I am someone who is using their jailbroken phone and am on cydia and THERE IS NO "make my life easier".

If the user is jailbroken he can go on and tap "make my life easier" to save current and future shsh firmware blobs.

It's not there!

Nothing was changed, and 3.1.3 SHSH blobs have been and are saved currently. If you have proof otherwise, provide a link with a posting by saurik.

It has been changed thats why cydia doesn't display the "make my life easier" anymore. It doesn't work now. It only works if you saved your shsh earlier. I can't find the link now but there was a date in April when you had to save your shsh or else it would no longer work and we are passed the date now.

Wiltron

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
You are incorrect humanmusic.. My SHSH blobs for 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 are saved on Cydia.

You can restore a custom firmware if you have previously not saved your blobs on Cydia by editing your hosts file and shift-clicking restore button, and selecting your custom firmware.

I've done it on about 30 phones so far, for friends and people who've paid me to JB their phones.

I did it just today infact, restored a custom firmware on a phone that was never JB'ed before (as I also unboxed it) and restored 3.1.2 custom just fine. Loaded up Cydia and it asked me to make my life easier. Unlocks don't work, because of new baseband, but JB is just fine.

Last edited:

humanmusic

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
You are incorrect humanmusic.. My SHSH blobs for 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 are saved on Cydia.

You can restore a custom firmware if you have previously not saved your blobs on Cydia by editing your hosts file and shift-clicking restore button, and selecting your custom firmware.

I've done it on about 30 phones so far, for friends and people who've paid me to JB their phones.

I did it just today infact, restored a custom firmware on a phone that was never JB'ed before (as I also unboxed it) and restored 3.1.2 custom just fine. Loaded up Cydia and it asked me to make my life easier. Unlocks don't work, because of new baseband, but JB is just fine.

Ok, I've unlocked and jailbroke 30 phones in the last month. Not one single
time did cydia show or mention anything about "make my life easier"

nor is that an option on cydia's homepage. Explain that.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Well if you were jailbreaking and unlocking they weren't on 3.1.3 and most likely not a 3GS. The make my life easier only shows up for the 3GS ( and maybe the ipt3G ).

You may want to watch how you come across, especially like when you tell someone to completely disregard something a respected forum member has said. You manage to ruffle too many feathers and you may find it hard to get your questions answered.

Last edited:

humanmusic

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Well if you were jailbreaking and unlocking they weren't on 3.1.3 and most likely not a 3GS. The make my life easier only shows up for the 3GS ( and maybe the ipt3G ).

It helps to have the specific, correct info because this is the first time I have heard only the 3gs is able to view that message. I can't find the site now but I had read that saving shsh was no longer going to occur after a certain date, but they failed to mention this didn't apply to 3gs. Thank you for the clarification.

You may want to watch how you come across, especially like when you tell someone to completely disregard something a respected forum member has said. You manage to ruffle too many feathers and you may find it hard to get your questions answered.

Everytime I see a post by her, it is either incorrect, out of date or sometimes even seems like disinformation which happens on forums. See this thread to see what I am talking about:

http://forum.tipb.com/iphone-jailbreak-unlock/186403-how-jailbreak-i-phone-2g-3-1-3-a.html

OP: "How to jailbreak I Phone 2G on 3.1.3"

Alli: "Once the device is upgraded to 3.1.3 you're stuck there. It can't be unlocked (at all) and can only be jailbroken if it was previously jailbroken and you stored your SHSH on Cydia."

Dlprak: "This info in incorrect. As a 2g iPhone you can still JB and unlock using redsn0w. You have to download the 3.1.2 restore ipsw and point redsn0w at that when it asks. Directions can be found pretty easily, either here or on another site."

Alli "You can only do this if you have your SHSH on file on Cydia. Otherwise there is no way to restore to anything. Apple is no longer signing the older firmware."

OP "thanks for the reply.

so does that mean that the phone is now useless?

because now we cant unlock and use it on a different carrier.

thanks, mark"

Alli: It's hardly useless, but you can't unlock it for use on another carrier, and may never be able to do so.

**by this time the OP is confused and is ready to get rid of his phone!

SHANE11111 "HI im new here. but if u upgraded to 3.1.3. just listen to everyone here that says to get a ipsw 3.1.2
and roll your firmware back! i did then run blackra1n done.... i dont know what grandma is talkin about???
from all the posts ive read of hers shes giving false info. it didnt have to be jailbroken before. and u dont need no ssh.

i bought my phone 3.1.3 brand new. rolled it back to 3.1.2 with ispw 3.1.2 firmware. blackrained it im good to go!!!
hope this helps"

**I even posted to support the fact all 2g's can be unlocked and jailbroke no matter what has been d/l from itunes.

Incorrect info like this given to newbies causes confusion and harm.

Mav3n

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Ummm????

Where'd you get that?

There is so much misinformation out there, it's ridiculous.

Most MC model iPhone 3GS, will have a tethered jailbreak ( this is where the 4th and 5th #s also come into play ). If these devices have been updated to 3.1.3 or have come with 3.1.3 pre-installed, they cannot be jailbroken.

Ok, I was JB'ed on 3.1.2 with a 3GS, with a MC phone and I was the JB wasn't tethered. (Frankly I didn't pay attention to if I was always an MC or if it was MB prior to 3.1.3) It crashed and I had to restore to 3.1.3. So did 3.1.3 change my model number, or am I one of the lucky few with an untethered MC model?
Follow up to that... will my 3.1.3 SHSH blob still be in Cydia when I finally am able to JB again? How will I be able to find it?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
When the next jailbreak is out, you likely won't want the 3.1.3 SHSH blob.

The SHSH blobs are good for downgrading firmwares no longer signed by Apple.

When 4.0 comes out, it's going to have some pretty good stuff. People won't care about their 3.1.3 SHSH blobs, especially since the 3GS cannot be jailbroken off a clean 3.1.3 install ( barring what comes out of the spirit jailbreak that is ) and there's a lot of evidence to show that a jailbreak will be available for devices running 4.0 quite soon after release.

3.1.2 SHSH blobs are more or less the only useful SHSH blobs right now. If for some reason someone installs 3.1.3 on their device, 3.1.2 can be installed and jailbroken.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I agree, but where apple is concerned, I like to have my ducks in a row. What about the MB/MC stuff?

A firmware upgrade shouldn't update the model #. If anything you either installed something that changed that ( from Cydia ) or you are one of the lucky few.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2