3GS 3.1 can't upgrade to 3.1.2

ElectricDoodie

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a 3Gs iPhone that has 3.1 on it.

I want to jailbreak it and I've found a guide that uses blackra1n, and it can jailbreak 3.1.2.

This is the site:

redmondpie..com/jailbreak-iphone-3.1.2-firmware-with-blackra1n-zni327/

It tells me that I need to have 3.1.2, so they give you a link to download it. I went to the link, and downloaded it. When I try to install it, it tells me that it apple won't let me, because it tells me that the device is not eligible for the requested build.

I don't want to update to 3.1.3, as I won't be able to jailbreak it. And I need 3.1.2 to do it. So, I have to upgrade from my 3.1 to 3.1.2, but Apple seems to only allow me to install 3.1.3.

Is there a way to fix this? I'm guessing that it's not giving me the ability to install 3.1.2 on it when I shift+restore, because I never had 3.1.2 installed on it before. In other words, it can't restore my phone to something that was never on it in the first place.

Am I just stuck, and should just install 3.1.3 on my non-jailbroken iPhone, and just wait for there to be a new tool out that can do it?

OR

Is it possible for me to upgrade to 3.1.3, and then restore it to 3.1.2, and jailbreak it?

KEEP IN MIND:
I have never jailbroken this phone before.

ElectricDoodie

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
So, should I just upgrade to 3.1.3?

Or stick with 3.1, hoping that something will come out?

Also, would me going to 3.1.2 be a downgrade, since 3.1.3 is out? Or an upgrade, since I have 3.1?

LozBlanko

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
Seems to me that the only sensible option is to update to 3.1.3 and then patiently wait for a new rain to be issued. Could be a while though depending on what Apple has changed.

Alternatively, search online to see if there's any way of upping to 3.1.2 still or downgrading from 3.1.3 to 3.1.2. I'm not aware of a way but there's far more techy people than me!

ElectricDoodie

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I think I'll just upgrade.

And whenever I look online on how to downgrade from 3.1.3 to 3.1.2, all I get is people saying it's impossible, or that you need the SHSH file, which I don't have.

And when I look for upgrades from 3.1 to 3.1.2, all I get is past articles about the "new upgrade" at the time.

infohpreet

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
You should never upgrad to 3.1.3 unless you have complete information about jailbreak/unlock process of this os. As Apple is more cleaver this time.

good luck!

infohpreet

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
But if you want to upgrade to 3.1.2 then you have to download the original firmware for 3.1.2. Do google search to get this firmware.

Now connect your iPhone in recovery mode to PC and open iTunes.

Here you will now see restore option.

Now press the shift button and click the restore button.

This will ask the .ipsw file for 3.1.2 and select that you have downloaded one.

Please note that when you download ipsw file, it has .zip ext. you have to change its extension to .ipsw.

good luck.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77