iPhone 3g NOT possible to unlock for use on another carrier {Yet}

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
its been unlocked already India.

Also gizmodo and others have shown unlocked iphones online.

No, you are thinking of unlocked 2.0 firmware. Big difference.

*Unless this person lives in a country where they legally had to sell unlocked iPhones*

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
i mean the phone. yesterday i saw the ceo of one of the large mobile companies (equivalent of att here) carrying the new iphone. he showed it to me.

I dont know the difference ..can u pls explain?

2.0 firmware can be unlocked with a tool that has not been released yet by the dev team. So if you have a first gen iPhone with the 2.0 firmware on it you can unlock it to use on another carrier. When it will released I do not know. You can not do this with a iPhone 3g. (yet) Please read the link I provided above for more information.

*Here is the link:http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/jail...pps/166033-iphone-3g-not-possible-unlock.html

Last edited:

athreya#IM

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site
2.0 firmware can be unlocked with a tool that has not been released yet by the idev team. So if you have a first gen iPhone with the 2.0 firmware on it you can unlock it to use on another carrier. When it will released I do not know. You can not do this with a iPhone 3g. (yet) Please read the link I provided above for more information.

*Here is the link:http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/jail...pps/166033-iphone-3g-not-possible-unlock.html

thanks. but the gentleman im referring to was using the 3g iphone on his own network here...presume its unlocked right?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
thanks. but the gentleman im referring to was using the 3g iphone on his own network here...presume its unlocked right?

I don't know where you are located but I'm sure they were using it on a carrier that has the iPhone 3g in its line up.

athreya#IM

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site
i read the link u mentioned..what is the difference between 2.0 firmware unlock and the iphone 3g device unlock?

can one work without the other?

thanks

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
i read the link u mentioned..what is the difference between 2.0 firmware unlock and the iphone 3g device unlock?

can one work without the other?

thanks

The 2.0 firmware is what comes on the iPhone 3g when you purchase it. The first iPhone had 1.4 firmware that you can not upgrade to 2.0 firmware. You will be able to unlock 2.0 firmware 1st generation iPhones soon. The iPhone 3g you can NOT. The hardware is completely different and hackers have not yet found a way to unlock the 3g to be used on other carriers. Hope this helps - only way I know how to explain it.

athreya#IM

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site
The 2.0 firmware is what comes on the iPhone 3g when you purchase it. The first iPhone had 1.4 firmware that you can not upgrade to 2.0 firmware. You will be able to unlock 2.0 firmware 1st generation iPhones soon. The iPhone 3g you can NOT. The hardware is completely different and hackers have not yet found a way to unlock the 3g to be used on other carriers. Hope this helps - only way I know how to explain it.

thanks. but i myself saw the iphone 3g on Airtel network yesterday morning.
so somoene has found a found around it in India.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
There really is not point to all of this canceling a contract with At&t... you can't unlock the phone to use with any other carrier yet. Who knows how long it will take.

http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/jail...pps/166033-iphone-3g-not-possible-unlock.html
I do not know what you mean. I thought that "jailbreak" software was already available.

Neither Apple not AT&T seem to get it. For world travelers, this lock down defeats part of the motivation for choosing GSM. When I travel to Hong Kong later this year, Calls from the US, which look like local calls to the caller, will be international calls at roaming rates for me. Calls within Hong Kong become international calls at very high rates. Data, including e-mail, becomes prohibitive.

I plan to take a regular GSM phone, fortunately with all of my personalization, and buy a local pre-paid chip. This is not an ideal solution because no one will be able to find the number for this phone.

Simply using your iPhone as you would in the US can result in hundreds of dollars of charges. I will have to put the iPhone in airplane mode so that it does not register on the local network.

Given the alternatives, jailbreaking starts to look pretty good.

Keep in mind, I am not trying to cheat anyone out of legitimate revenue. I pay for my software. I do not mind paying global roaming charges on calls that I control. I do not want to pay global roaming charges on what are really local calls.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I do not know what you mean. I thought that "jailbreak" software was already available.

Neither Apple not AT&T seem to get it. For world travelers, this lock down defeats part of the motivation for choosing GSM. When I travel to Hong Kong later this year, Calls from the US, which look like local calls to the caller, will be international calls at roaming rates for me. Calls within Hong Kong become international calls at very high rates. Data, including e-mail, becomes prohibitive.

I plan to take a regular GSM phone, fortunately with all of my personalization, and buy a local pre-paid chip. This is not an ideal solution because no one will be able to find the number for this phone.

Simply using your iPhone as you would in the US can result in hundreds of dollars of charges. I will have to put the iPhone in airplane mode so that it does not register on the local network.

Given the alternatives, jailbreaking starts to look pretty good.

Jailbreaking and Unlocking are two totally different things. Please check out this link and I think you will get a better understanding of what I've been trying to say.

http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/jail...682-iphone-ipod-touch-mods-jailbreak-faq.html

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
no not yet..the official launch date is september on airtel and vodafone.

i asked him pointedly and he said he had it unlocked.

Ok then... I don't know what to tell you. I just know the facts at the moment. And you claim you had some links to prove this. Please provide them. I'd love to see them. :cool:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Ash you?re talking out of your earpiece man......

blog.iphone-dev.org

3g iPhone - Unlocked, Jailbroken and freakin almost released to the Pubic ;-))))))))))))

I said the phone is not CURRENTLY unlockable.... And it still is NOT unlockable. They unlocked the firmware. Not the phone itself.

Here are some quotes from the latest post on the idev website from idev members...(all posted within the last 10 hours)

"AFAIK, the release will have jailbreak for both models of iPhone, and will include BootNeuter to unlock 2G iPhones.

The security of the 3G baseband is stronger than that of the 2G iPhone, so a new unlock will have to be developed for it. No, we don't know how long that will take."

A person asked if all this meant if we could unlock the phone for different carriers...

"No, this means we will be able to "Jailbreak" 3Gs. SIM-Unlocking is a separate challenge."

Bottom line the 3g hardware can not currently be unlocked.

*Here is link to the idev team members making the above comments if anyone who does not believe me wants to see it for their own eyes.
blog.iphone-dev.org | iBoot unlaced....

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
My how things change in a few days... Unlocking update

Unlock IPhone 3G Using SIM Card: iPhone 3G Unlocked with SIM Card Adapter

Like I said it was not unlockable a few days ago but now it seems someone just came out with a way. This seems a little weird to me here with another sim. Which I'm guessing you'd have to buy since it's not using some software we all can download. I'm curious how this will all play out. Especially when the iDev team finally gets it unlocked. Who would buy something like this when you can use free software?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2