Plugging in headphones no longer shows Music app on lock screen?

Morac

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Plugging in headphones no longer shows Music app on lock screen

It used to be if I plugged in my headphones, the music app would appear on the lock screen and in the app switcher screen. That's no longer happening on my iPhone. I tested it on my iPad last night and it worked, but this morning it wasn't working either, even after turning my iPad off and on.

Is there some way to get this working again?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Plugging in headphones no longer shows Music app on lock screen

Have you tried a hard rest on both devices??

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

It will still do that - unless there's an App handoff situation... those get priority apparently.

Morac

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Plugging in headphones no longer shows Music app on lock screen

I don't think there's an app handoff since no app is showing up at all.

If the music app is playing and I unplug the headphones the music controls disappear off the lock screen. They reappear if I plug the headphones in, but the app never shows up.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

I've heard of that icon, but I've never seen it on my iPhone 6 nor iPad 2. Handoff is disabled on the phone since I don't have a Mac and my iPad doesn't support it.

Morac

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site

I just tried it on three different iOS devices I own and it's not showing up on any of them. Two worked last night, one didn't.

I was in the Apple Store and I tried it on all the display models and it worked on all of them.

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site

This happened to me several times. What I found to work is take a q tip & take the cotton off the end & stick it in the headphone jack.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus  using Tapatalk

Morac

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me several times. What I found to work is take a q tip & take the cotton off the end & stick it in the headphone jack.

What does that accomplish? The headphones are working and plugging them in actually turns on the screen, it's just no apps show up on the lock screen. I checked and both Handover and App Suggestions are enabled.

Edit:

Here's something odd, my 5s is now displaying a different app when I plug in my headphones. It's the same one it was displaying last night, but displayed absolutely nothing all day. It looks like there's some kind of time factor involved. My Air 2 still isn't displaying music like it did last night though.

I'll mention that the app shows up even if handoff is turned off as long as "installed apps" is turned on.

Last edited:

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
What does that accomplish? The headphones are working and plugging them in actually turns on the screen, it's just no apps show up on the lock screen. I checked and both Handover and App Suggestions are enabled.

Edit:

Here's something odd, my 5s is now displaying a different app when I plug in my headphones. It's the same one it was displaying last night, but displayed absolutely nothing all day. It looks like there's some kind of time factor involved. My Air 2 still isn't displaying music like it did last night though.

I'll mention that the app shows up even if handoff is turned off as long as "installed apps" is turned on.

It fixed the problem that your having. I fount that when YouTube was last open it suggested that when I plugged in the headphones, then the music app when I opened it then closed it.

archheretic1

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site

Found the FIX!, Go to General, Handoff & Suggested Apps, Turn on Installed Apps

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
The option stated above has been activated already for me, but after updating to 9.2, the music icon no longer shows when connecting to Bluetooth.

AdamHunterATC

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

This happened to me. A full restore via iTunes was the only thing that fixed it. Sorry. :-/

mhedi

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site

It used to be if I plugged in my headphones, the music app would appear on the lock screen and in the app switcher screen. That's no longer happening on my iPhone. I tested it on my iPad last night and it worked, but this morning it wasn't working either, even after turning my iPad off and on.

Is there some way to get this working again?

The "Siri App Suggestions" widget must be enabled.

AdamHunterATC

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Wow. Thanks mhedi. Mine stopped working again the other day. Turning the Siri App Suggestions widget back on fixed it.

That's kind of silly, though. There is no obvious connection between that widget and the proactive lock screen media controls. Not sure if that's intentional or not. If it is, Apple needs to make that more clear somehow.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saiprasad