Passcode Reset Pop-up

kgizhang

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm on the latest iOS. Never rooted or anything like that.

Out of nowhere I received a popup advising me I must reset my phones passcode within 60 minutes. The interface looked like the standard Apple style (wish I would have grabbed a screenshot!)

This happened just after I had used the Starbucks app to pay for a purchase.
Apple rep had no idea about what this was or if it was valid. I've been on every iPhone since the 4 and never seen it.
I'm somewhat concerned, though it wasn't requesting my actual Apple ID password to be reset.

Anyone else seen this before?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've never received a prompt like that, and I, too, would be quite suspicious if it ever happened to me. In fact, I'd reset it in a heartbeat, but that's Just Me, D...;)...Were you connected to Starbuck's Wi-Fi network? Did you have AirDrop enabled and set for everyone which could have allowed a prankster to screw with you or something?

bobsgolf

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Starbucks have asked all customers to upgrade their passwords or change their passwords after a flaw was discovered in their apps . This was in the news a few months ago
.i would guess that all their apps have been up dated and they have put a reminder on their app asking customers to upgrade their password to something more secure . Is it a while since you last used the app or has the app recently updated . I don't use the app , so I have not seen the message . Their was plenty information in the news about it recently

kgizhang

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Thank you both.
I do remember that Starbucks story. This prompt was definitely not in the SB app, it looked like the system.
As far as airdrop, I keep that off and was not connected to the wifi.
I did end up restoring my phone when I arrived home.

If anyone knows anything about this I'm still very curious to know. Apple had no idea and had never seen or heard of this. It seems like something that must have happened to someone else before.

djantpt

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Ironically this just happened to my wife and we immediately called Sprint and Sprint transferred me to Apple and Apple Tech had no CLUE what the hell she was doing which means Apple may not have had too many calls about this issue. I am wondering if this is ANOTHER glitch in this latest update.

Fingers crossed and prayer it doesn't hit my iPhone.

I'm guessing the best option would be wipe phone and setup as new and restore from Cloud which is what I knew Apple was going to say.

Jon LeJeune

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
I've had a similar experience. I've read other forums about this same topic and I'm pretty sure it has to do with a new security protocol feature with the mail app. For those using the iOS mail app to receive mail from their Microsoft exchange account, they are required to change their passcode every so often. I do have an exchange account set up on my phone. Many others that have received this pop-up don't. So, if you received the pop-up and don't have exchange, I'd attribute it to being a glitch in iOS, not malware. Another theory about this pop-up is that iOS detects that the passcode you have is not secure enough. This theory does not make sense because I received the prompt and I have a complicated 6-digit alphanumeric passcode.

Dimitar Velev1

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
It is a malware - close Safari completely by double click on the home button and swipe the safari up (very important), then go to Settings, Safari and clear all history, cookies and all website data. Hard reset your phone by holding the power and the home button at the same time for 5 sec. After that the message will be gone!

That did worked for me - I have no VPN, profiles or exchange accounts - apple geniuses will try to convince you differently - well... good luck with the apple support :)

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
It is a malware - close Safari completely by double click on the home button and swipe the safari up (very important), then go to Settings, Safari and clear all history, cookies and all website data. Hard reset your phone by holding the power and the home button at the same time for 5 sec. After that the message will be gone!

That did worked for me - I have no VPN, profiles or exchange accounts - apple geniuses will try to convince you differently - well... good luck with the apple support :)

A malware? That manage to pass through out the entire securities and land on the home screen? Hum... If only that sort of vulnerability could exist I know some who would love to exploit it for better goal than a simple password reset pop up message :)
And that was not a malware stay assured.