iMessage troubles iphone 6+

Watrat

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Good evening. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing similar issues with iMessage on the 6+ or on any of their phones:

Noticed about a month ago that when I selected a message it would hang before it opened and then it would only show the last message. I would shut phone off and the message was all there. Then it became more of a regular thing..my screen would darken slightly and none of my messages would go thru and I couldn't receive any. Hard reset of the phone...all back to normal but then same issues. The only way I knew I was getting messages would be because my iPad would alert me or messages on my mac. I have tried several tips from hard reset, to shutting off iMessage, rebooting. I signed out of iCloud on all devices and reentered them one at a time. I am finding I can't trust when I might miss a message or not. As soon as I reboot the phone my messages al come flooding in. Noticing this happens when I am away from home and not on same wifi as other devices. Have Verizon and they just pushed a carrier update..not sure that will mean anything or not. I have not tried reseting all network settings yet. Anyone else coming close to experiencing any of these things or is it my phone having its own problems?

Thanks for reading.

PS. Also noticing that when I delete a conversation it sometimes comes back after a reboot and it always still appears on iPad and iMac. I can't delete a conversation on one and it removes it from all?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
iMessage does not delete messages across your devices, it simply syncs them in a kind of "forwarding" type manner. Messages must be deleted individually on each device.

As far as the other issues you mentioned, I've never seen anything like that personally...nor do I see any common complaints similar to what you described on other Apple centric forums/blogs. My advice? Fresh restore or schedule a genius bar appointment and have it replaced.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I would definitely do a clean install of the latest iOS version and then set it up as new, if it were me, and if that didn't fix the problem (although it should), I would then make a Genius Bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store as was advised by SeanHRCC.

Watrat

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Good evening and thank you for the replies. I have tried erasing all settings and content but didn't set it up as a new phone. Obviously I need to do that because same problems exist when I used all information. When I set it up as a new phone will I slowly be able to add content back or am I going to start from scratch and figure out which apps and everything else to eventually add? This seems to be my only solution before making a genius bar appointment. It seems most of the issues arise from messages. Could it be that I have too many conversations and attachments stored up? What I am also noticing is that messages I delete on the phone keep coming back after a reboot or some other restart. Once I delete them shouldn't they be gone from the phone? Could this be part of the issue?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Good evening and thank you for the replies. I have tried erasing all settings and content but didn't set it up as a new phone. Obviously I need to do that because same problems exist when I used all information. When I set it up as a new phone will I slowly be able to add content back or am I going to start from scratch and figure out which apps and everything else to eventually add? This seems to be my only solution before making a genius bar appointment. It seems most of the issues arise from messages. Could it be that I have too many conversations and attachments stored up?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

When "I" say set up as new, I mean set it up from scratch. Install your apps from the purchased section of the App Store, configure your email accounts, etcetera manually. I prefer to do a clean install of iOS instead of merely erasing all contents and settings just in case I had a corrupted iOS version. Anyway, it can be an inconvenience, but the end result is usually favorable.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So don't enter my iCloud account at the beginning?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204686

How do you do a clean install of iOS other than erasing all content?

The instructions via the link you posted *should* be sufficient. Having said that, if you suspect that the installed iOS version may have gotten corrupted, you can have iTunes download and install a fresh copy of it. To do that, follow the instructions below.

1. Locate the .ipsw file on your computer and put it in the trash bin.
2. Put your device in DFU mode. Note: Nothing will be displayed on your device's screen when in DFU mode.
3. After iTunes detects that the device is in recovery, select to restore and update it.
4. When the process is finished, you will be met with the Welcome screen. Proceed to set up your device from scratch.

Watrat

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Not trying to avoid going thru the setting up as a new phone process but notice that things seem to work better when my iPad is shut off. Could be a coincidence I know but just grasping at straws here

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Not trying to avoid going thru the setting up as a new phone process but notice that things seem to work better when my iPad is shut off. Could be a coincidence I know but just grasping at straws here

I hear you. Just continue as-is for a while and see how things go with your iPad off. If things change or doesn't get better, then start fresh.

Watrat

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
While waiting for next move I have been reading online where to find the .ipsw file to remove it. in the latest version of Yosemite iPhone software updates folder is empty. When I do a search of all files for .ipsw files I get nothing. I found a site to direct download the latest 8.3 .ipsw file directly from apple but would rather not go that route if the initial file is still on my computer. Are certain files hidden?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
While waiting for next move I have been reading online where to find the .ipsw file to remove it. in the latest version of Yosemite iPhone software updates folder is empty. When I do a search of all files for .ipsw files I get nothing. I found a site to direct download the latest 8.3 .ipsw file directly from apple but would rather not go that route if the initial file is still on my computer. Are certain files hidden?

~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates

I'll fire up my MacBook in a moment to verify its location, but I think that's where I found it the last time I needed it.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Don't worry about it if its off..no problem. My advice software update folders are all empty

I just confirmed it. Just right click on the Finder and then select "Go To Folder" and then type ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I can find the folders but they are empty. Is there a hidden file selection that I might have that is hiding it?

I'm sorry. Yes, the Library folder is hidden by default, but I've unhid mine so long ago to where I had forgotten. You can either press the OPTION key in conjunction with Finder or use a Terminal command similar to chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks...I have been able to find the folders but they are empty inside.

I'm confused about what you have and have not done. Did you restore your phone as new from scratch? Not from a back up? If so, did you sign in to iCloud? Signing in is not the same as backing up to. You should sign in to iCloud, iMessage and FaceTime.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks...I have been able to find the folders but they are empty inside.

If you've ever used iTunes to update your iPhone then the file should be there. If not, skip step 1 and proceed to put your iPhone in DFU mode.