Has Apple Maps improved?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I read an article earlier that stated that Apple Maps was still too much of a mess to even be mentioned at WWDC. What do you think about that? Personally, Apple Maps have served me well. I find it fast, detailed and smooth with iOS 8 beta 1. What are your recent experiences and/or views regarding Apple Maps?

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I have used Maps ever since it was released and I have had no issues..... Did they state in detail on what was wrong, that maybe I am over looking some things?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have used Maps ever since it was released and I have had no issues..... Did they state in detail on what was wrong, that maybe I am over looking some things?

Not really. The article stated that the new features that were originally suppose to have been announced during WWDC were not ready, and many of the developers who had been working on them are no longer with the company. The alleged "mess", as I understand it, is basically from not having improvements to it.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I've used Apple Maps since it was introduced and it has worked well for me. It hasn't been perfect but has suited me well. Although I do like the experience of Google Maps on my Note 3 a lot better.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I like Google Maps but Apple Maps is just as good. Google has been in the mapping business for a much longer time though.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
There are a ton of issue's with Apple maps, it's not even close to Google, or waze in accuracy, the above posts defy logic!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
There are a ton of issue's with Apple maps, it's not even close to Google, or waze in accuracy, the above posts defy logic!

If anything, the above posts may defy your personal experience...:)....Believe it or not, there are those of us who have had little to no problems with Apple maps and are content with using it.

zebulun12

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I too have been using Apple maps from the beginning and it has always taken me to my destination with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Only reason I have to use Google maps now is to get a route without tolls, hopefully apple adds that feature in the next version of maps. I don't care that much about transit apps as "there is an app for that"

Back to the OP - Apple has constantly fixed issues in the maps in the background. There has not been a major software push if that is what you meant but I have seen it has gotten better over time in terms of exact location of some of the points of interest that I have checked.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I use it regularly.
I also search for a store on it.
Once it locates it I can easily add it to my contacts with a couple of clicks.
Good Luck

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I love apple maps but I can't say it improved yet. Once I see transit (my most needed feature ) I'll be satisfied.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 😁

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I still use Google Maps as my preferred choice. For me, Apple Maps is great if I know the address of where I'm going but it doesn't work as well when I search for a business. It's about 50/50 & I search for businesses more than I use actual addresses.

Edit: And with all the traveling I do, Apple Maps isn't too useful in all states especially in newer areas.

rana.avneet

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Apple Maps doesn't work here in India.
And I doubt even when they start supporting India they'll be as good as Google maps that's because even google hasn't perfected here in India yet because of the complexity of Indian roads although they are pretty reliable now.
But honestly I hope that apple realises soon the importance of Indian public(because apple always underestimates India and everything is launched so late by apple here ) because there is a lot of potential here.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
No out of all of them they are still the worse mapping apps out there and won't get any better. They will probably remove them from iOS 8. Lol. Just kidding and have a bit of fun. I use them all the time. Well now I have Nav built into my new car so I use them not so much. Still a great app.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Only reason I have to use Google maps now is to get a route without tolls, hopefully apple adds that feature in the next version of maps. I don't care that much about transit apps as "there is an app for that"

Back to the OP - Apple has constantly fixed issues in the maps in the background. There has not been a major software push if that is what you meant but I have seen it has gotten better over time in terms of exact location of some of the points of interest that I have checked.

Agreed. The avoiding tolls option is the only reason I'm still using Google maps.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77