What the success of Google Maps on iPhone tells us about Apple and monopolies -- and what the DOJ needs to understand about good products

ok24

Mar 26, 2024
Visit site
The reason google maps are so popular on iOS is because apple maps are a bunch of crap. They’ve lead me to the other side of town too many times for me to use them.

post edited by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
The reason google maps are so popular on iOS is because apple maps are a bunch of crap. They’ve lead me to the other side of town too many times for me to use them.

post edited by moderator
Hello and welcome to iMore! When you get a chance, please take a minute to familiarize yourself with iMore's Community Rules & Guidelines. Also when you get a chance, please take a minute to introduce yourself here!

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Apple Maps has been mostly correct in my neck of the woods, in Central Canada.

The most common issue is the road closures that are sometimes missing. They’re also missing on G Maps.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
There was a time when I would not depend on Maps as much as others, but that time has long passed. I almost exclusively use Maps, but I will switch to the built-in Maps in my car on occasion.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
What boggles me is why isn’t Apple Maps, powered my Tom Tom, any better than it is.

I jumped on the iOS 17 beta train specifically for offline Apple Maps. After downloading both North and South Carolina and navigating to a few areas I’ve been to many times yet letting Apple “lead the way”, it still took me “around my bunghole to get to my elbow”. In this day and age, is Tom Tom that horrible? Or does Google just do it better?

And don’t get me started on Waze. I wouldn’t recommend that to my worst enemy. I think they suck worse that Apple and they are OWNED by Google.

I really want to reply on Apple Maps and have even started the process of “moving” all my favorites into Apple Maps. But at this point in time, Google Maps is king of the hill and may remain there for a long time.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77