Is iOS 7 killing your battery as well?

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Still suffering from battery issues using iOS7 on your device. You do have some options to try out. Most are simple settings that can be changed with in minutes.

Disable App Refresh -

Settings, General, Background App Refresh, and then turn off the switch.

Disable App Updates -

Settings, iTunes & App Store, and then switch off Updates under the Automatic Downloads section.

Disable Wallpaper Parallax -

Go to settings, General, Accessibility, and then switch on Reduce Motion which turns off the home screen’s parallax view.

Searching for WiFi -

Go to settings WiFi, at the bottom turn off Ask to Join Networks switch at the bottom.

Notifications -

Go to settings and then Notification Center and start turning off notifications on the lock screen and for other apps that you don’t need to be notified on.

Locations Service -

Settings, Privacy, and then Location Services to turn the whole thing off or just for the apps you don’t want to use the GPS receiver.

For additional tips and information check the link below

How to fix battery life issues with iOS 7, iPhone 5s, and iPhone 5c | iMore

Blue Shift

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
My battery life exceeds my expectations, it's way better than even my Z10 was. And that's with every option that can be turned on active. I wonder what in particular is affecting others' devices?

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My battery life exceeds my expectations, it's way better than even my Z10 was. And that's with every option that can be turned on active. I wonder what in particular is affecting others' devices?

They are using it more than before, happens with every iOS update.

Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) or iPhone 4S (iPhone 5S coming soon) using Tapatalk.

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Thats incredible. I max out at 4 hours of usage now on my 4S. Battery is only 10 months old

yup. i used to get 8-10 hours of use with 24-36 hours of standby. now i only get 4-6 hours of use and 16-20 standby. my battery/phone us useless now. they better fix this in 7.1. and the things listed in the write up done help whatsoever, and they never have. even DFU restores as new dont do anything.

yaynative

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I get 8-10 hours usage each day. I would try restoring as new and not putting any apps on it for 24 hours. If it still dies quickly, I would take it back to Apple and see what they say.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thankfully I'm getting 10 to 11 hours of actual usage with 1 day of standby time.... This is a nice write up for those who are having battery issues, though. Most of my settings match what is posted here.

yaynative

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Here are my battery settings:

iOS 7 battery saving settings

If you installed iOS 7 and restored from a backup, you should restore as new and resync all your apps manually. This is best done on your computer using iTunes. This helps ensure no problem files are brought over. It also helps get rid of the huge cache of old files you do not need. You will lose all data saved on the phone when you do this. Transfer pics and music to computer first. This is the best way to get a clean install, and worth the effort.

Always turn off wi-fi and bluetooth if you are not using them. Turn auto brightness on for the screen and make sure the timeout is 1 minute.

After using the settings below cycle your battery two times. That means let it die until it turns off on its own, and then charge to 100% without using it while it charges. This does NOT “train” the battery, but it calibrates the battery meter so you get a true measure of performance.

Use these settings for maximum battery life:

settings > notification > turn off notifications for all apps you do not truly need push alerts for.

settings > general > spotlight search > make sure nothing is selected. this archives and scans your hard drive with every change so it can index your data. this uses a lot of processing power.

settings > general > accessibility > reduce motion > on

settings > general > accessibility > increase contrast > on (this turns of transparency which uses a lot of processor power)

settings > general > siri > raise to speak > off

settings > general > background refresh > on. the only apps that truly need it are maps, find my friends, etc.

settings > general > auto lock > 1 minute

setting > wallpaper & brightness > choose a still wallpaper

setting > wallpaper & brightness > auto brightness > on

settings > privacy > location services > on

settings > privacy > location services > disable location services for any app that doesn't truly need it. Only maps and weather really need it.

settings > privacy > location services > system services > turn all off except for compass calibration and traffic

settings > privacy > location services > system services > frequent locations > off

settings > privacy > advertising > limit ad tracking > on

settings > cellular > turn off cellular data for any app that doesn’t truly need it

settings > general > diagnostic & usage > don’t send

I also recommend closing any Safari tabs when you are done browsing. Some sites automatically update, which uses data.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I typically get 4+ hours of usage depending on signal. On work days where a good portion of early usage is on spotty 3G/1x is when I'm closer to 3.75-4.25 hours. On weekends when I'm on good LTE or Wi-Fi is when my usage time ratchets up!

yzjustdatguy

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Here are my battery settings:

iOS 7 battery saving settings

If you installed iOS 7 and restored from a backup, you should restore as new and resync all your apps manually. This is best done on your computer using iTunes. This helps ensure no problem files are brought over. It also helps get rid of the huge cache of old files you do not need. You will lose all data saved on the phone when you do this. Transfer pics and music to computer first. This is the best way to get a clean install, and worth the effort.

Always turn off wi-fi and bluetooth if you are not using them. Turn auto brightness on for the screen and make sure the timeout is 1 minute.

After using the settings below cycle your battery two times. That means let it die until it turns off on its own, and then charge to 100% without using it while it charges. This does NOT “train” the battery, but it calibrates the battery meter so you get a true measure of performance.

Use these settings for maximum battery life:

settings > notification > turn off notifications for all apps you do not truly need push alerts for.

settings > general > spotlight search > make sure nothing is selected. this archives and scans your hard drive with every change so it can index your data. this uses a lot of processing power.

settings > general > accessibility > reduce motion > on

settings > general > accessibility > increase contrast > on (this turns of transparency which uses a lot of processor power)

settings > general > siri > raise to speak > off

settings > general > background refresh > on. the only apps that truly need it are maps, find my friends, etc.

settings > general > auto lock > 1 minute

setting > wallpaper & brightness > choose a still wallpaper

setting > wallpaper & brightness > auto brightness > on

settings > privacy > location services > on

settings > privacy > location services > disable location services for any app that doesn't truly need it. Only maps and weather really need it.

settings > privacy > location services > system services > turn all off except for compass calibration and traffic

settings > privacy > location services > system services > frequent locations > off

settings > privacy > advertising > limit ad tracking > on

settings > cellular > turn off cellular data for any app that doesn’t truly need it

settings > general > diagnostic & usage > don’t send

I also recommend closing any Safari tabs when you are done browsing. Some sites automatically update, which uses data.

I've done everything you have listed here and still nothing changes. I'm assuming its the OS its self. My 4S is still fairly new. Hopefully future updates will help the battery perform a a lot better

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2