No notifications/alerts when phone is locked

x143x

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Little help please

Iphone 4s Verison

I use a password to lock my screen and I have chosen NOT to allow notifications on my lock screen .. the problem is Im not getting any notification/alert/vibrate when I receive a SMS message until I unlock the phone .. Then they all sound off one after another .. its as if the phone is asleep and doesn't receive the SMS till it wakes up .. all works fine when I set it to sent notifications to my lock screen but this is not the setting I want .. could it be that since I don't have the notifications going thru to the screen the phone isn't acknowledging a new SMS until its unlocked? if that is the case then what a waste having the option of not having them appear on the lock screen

on my 4 i would still get a tone or vibrate when I got a new txt .. I would then choose to unlock and view it or wait till later but at least I knew I received one .. now I have to keep unlocking the phone to see if I did

is there some setting I might not be using correctly??

I want the upper banner when the phone is unlocked and I'm using it .. I just dont want it showing who or what I received while my phone is locked and unattended (reason being I work in a rather unsavory place and I would not want any friends names info or etc being received by someone who could somehow look at my phone .. misplaced or just not currently in my hand) and as stated I would like to at least know I received a message while the phone is in my pocket on Vibrate/silent

Thank you all in advance for any help you may offer .. I have usually found my answers by searching on here but I could not find anything on this subject matter

Joe

AStranger

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think you have to have to show notifications on your lock screen in order for the notifications to do anything when the phone is locked.

I did a couple tests with email and if I had it set to "View in lock screen" to on and SHow Preview to off then it gave me a notification but it only gave who the email was from.

I also tried with View in lock screen being Off and it still gave me the new email tone even though there were no notifications in the lock screen.

Not sure about with text messages though.

Dustin3924

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same problem with my 4 S, I just confirmed with a senior Apple adviser that it is likely a firmware bug. I have been through a rough time since iOS six was downloaded on my 4 S. Many trips to the Genius Bar, many calls to AppleCare. Many restorals and even set the phone up as a new device. Lastly, Apple replaced the phone. When the phone is locked and the "view lock screen" is off, there are no alerts. However if the phone is illuminated the alerts come through just fine. This does not happen with the phone 5.

If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate hearing from you. Otherwise, I guess we will have to wait until the next firmware update.

Dustin

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Do you have Sounds turned on in your Messages settings? And you have selected a tone that isn't None?

Usman Rauf

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
Little help please

Iphone 4s Verison

I use a password to lock my screen and I have chosen NOT to allow notifications on my lock screen .. the problem is Im not getting any notification/alert/vibrate when I receive a SMS message until I unlock the phone .. Then they all sound off one after another .. its as if the phone is asleep and doesn't receive the SMS till it wakes up .. all works fine when I set it to sent notifications to my lock screen but this is not the setting I want .. could it be that since I don't have the notifications going thru to the screen the phone isn't acknowledging a new SMS until its unlocked? if that is the case then what a waste having the option of not having them appear on the lock screen

on my 4 i would still get a tone or vibrate when I got a new txt .. I would then choose to unlock and view it or wait till later but at least I knew I received one .. now I have to keep unlocking the phone to see if I did

is there some setting I might not be using correctly??

I want the upper banner when the phone is unlocked and I'm using it .. I just dont want it showing who or what I received while my phone is locked and unattended (reason being I work in a rather unsavory place and I would not want any friends names info or etc being received by someone who could somehow look at my phone .. misplaced or just not currently in my hand) and as stated I would like to at least know I received a message while the phone is in my pocket on Vibrate/silent

Thank you all in advance for any help you may offer .. I have usually found my answers by searching on here but I could not find anything on this subject matter

Joe

Usman Rauf

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
I just had that problem. If all sound and notification settings are correct, your phone may be in night mode. Once you switch the night node off, it works.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2