Don't know if imessage is something new with the ios5 or what? What's the difference between imessage and text/emailing?
    10-06-2011 01:15 AM
    iMessage is like bbm. It's free over wifi to/from any iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch.
    Yes, it comes with ios 5.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4 on iOS 5 b7 using Tapatalk.
    10-06-2011 01:30 AM
    It is essentially free text messaging between iOS 5 iPhones that travel through the Internet to apple servers and then onto the recipient.
    10-06-2011 01:35 AM
    so u need wifi to have it work? you can't use 3G?
    10-06-2011 09:41 AM
    It will work over wifi or 3G
    10-06-2011 09:45 AM
    so u need wifi to have it work? you can't use 3G?
    It will work over either. It just uses data rather than SMS.

The advantage is that it allows for free messaging anywhere in the world (as long as you are on wifi).

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4 on iOS 5 GM Seed
    10-06-2011 11:12 AM
    imessage is basically messaging over the internet. Texting is through the carrier no need for the internet. So you can imessage someone on a ipad of itouch as long as they have WiFi.
    10-06-2011 06:05 PM
    As others have said, it's basically BBM for iOS devices. Messages are sent as data rather than through your carrier. This allows for transfers of pictures etc. over your data network rather than using expensive picture messages as is currently the case with me. Also you can get delivery notifications, and see when someone is typing.
    10-06-2011 06:08 PM
    hopefully it will run via data not the phone radio...sometimes I have wifi but not cell signal
    10-06-2011 10:26 PM
    will automatically list the people who have iOS 5 in your contact list or will you have to ask around and manually add those by say asking them for a PIN# or similar ID Code?
    10-06-2011 11:25 PM
    will automatically list the people who have iOS 5 in your contact list or will you have to ask around and manually add those by say asking them for a PIN# or similar ID Code?
    You just fire off a message to anyone you like using the normal Message app and if the recipient has iMessage it will automatically switch to an iMessage. No need to do anything. No PIN required.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4 on iOS 5 GM
    ZOFOURTWENTY likes this.
    10-06-2011 11:28 PM
    [QUOTE=MasterofPuppets;1767431]You just fire off a message to anyone you like using the normal Message app and if the recipient has iMessage it will automatically switch to an iMessage. No need to do anything. No PIN required.

Oh cool so it won't be a separate app, now that's convenient
    10-06-2011 11:31 PM
    question: what is imessage and how do i get it? is it supposed to be preinstalled with the ios 5? cuz i dont see it?
    10-11-2011 04:45 AM
    question: what is imessage and how do i get it? is it supposed to be preinstalled with the ios 5? cuz i dont see it?
    It's "baked" into the pre-installed messages. Simply enable it in your phone settings and it automatically recognizes when your recipient is also using iMessage.

And it is NOT like BBM, in that it is not a standalone app, with features etc. It's a simple text message using data perk...
    10-11-2011 07:56 AM
    iMessage is the same App as your SMS/MMS. It will detect if someone has iMessage and will send to that account automatically. It is preinstalled so all you have to do it set up your iM account.
    10-11-2011 07:58 AM
    As far as I see, it's essentially going to be like Blackberry Messanger. iMessage will be nice though, it's nice to have something that's just for the iPhone/iPod/iPad. I'd assume it runs off of either Data or Wireless Internet.
    10-11-2011 08:37 AM
    While iMessage can be compared to Blackberry Messenger it has one huge advantage over BBM (other than being on am iPhone, of course ) in that it is one app for iMessage and text massaging. It is a smart way if doing things. You will also be able to move from iPhone to iPad to iPod touch and your messages will all be there- ready to continue the conversation. It is what I will likely use more than anything in iOS 5.
    10-11-2011 01:25 PM
    I hope that it will have groups/group messaging added at a later date. That was one thing I loved about BBM, and definitely would love to see that on iMessage.

As stated before it will run over data, so if you're connected to wifi when you have no cellular service, it will work. Not every iPad has a cellular connection, and of course the iPod touch doesn't.
    10-11-2011 01:36 PM
    I hope that it will have groups/group messaging added at a later date. That was one thing I loved about BBM, and definitely would love to see that on iMessage.

As stated before it will run over data, so if you're connected to wifi when you have no cellular service, it will work. Not every iPad has a cellular connection, and of course the iPod touch doesn't.
    cosign. I said this in another thread of my own tho and got slandered lol
    10-11-2011 01:50 PM
    So this is only cross-platform to other apple products. I wish that bbm did open it's doors and it could be incorporated in this.
    hollidizzle likes this.
    10-11-2011 02:01 PM
    While iMessage can be compared to Blackberry Messenger it has one huge advantage over BBM (other than being on am iPhone, of course ) in that it is one app for iMessage and text massaging. It is a smart way if doing things. You will also be able to move from iPhone to iPad to iPod touch and your messages will all be there- ready to continue the conversation. It is what I will likely use more than anything in iOS 5.
    I thought each device had their own imessage "id". I don't feel like having my ipad go off everytime i get a message from someone on my phone. That will get annoying quick.
    10-11-2011 02:05 PM
    I thought each device had their own imessage "id". I don't feel like having my ipad go off everytime i get a message from someone on my phone. That will get annoying quick.
    That is very true! I think it is by id too...If that did notify in both places they would have to have a way to shut it off.
    10-11-2011 02:08 PM
    cosign. I said this in another thread of my own tho and got slandered lol
    Actually if it is written, it is libel
    10-11-2011 02:15 PM
    You go to Settings>Messages and turn on iMessage. It sends a SMS (international) to activate it. You can use either your phone number or your email as your iMessage id.

When you type a message it automatically detects that the other person has iMessage activated on his device and you ll see "New Message" written on top turn to "iMessage".
    10-11-2011 02:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD