What is imeasage? And how does it work?

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Don't know if imessage is something new with the ios5 or what? What's the difference between imessage and text/emailing?

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
iMessage is like bbm. It's free over wifi to/from any iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch.
Yes, it comes with ios 5.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4 on iOS 5 b7 using Tapatalk.

BillBerry

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
It is essentially free text messaging between iOS 5 iPhones that travel through the Internet to apple servers and then onto the recipient.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
so u need wifi to have it work? you can't use 3G?

It will work over either. It just uses data rather than SMS.

The advantage is that it allows for free messaging anywhere in the world (as long as you are on wifi).

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4 on iOS 5 GM Seed

blacjac2k

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
imessage

imessage is basically messaging over the internet. Texting is through the carrier no need for the internet. So you can imessage someone on a ipad of itouch as long as they have WiFi.

Tillsworth

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
As others have said, it's basically BBM for iOS devices. Messages are sent as data rather than through your carrier. This allows for transfers of pictures etc. over your data network rather than using expensive picture messages as is currently the case with me. Also you can get delivery notifications, and see when someone is typing.

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
will automatically list the people who have iOS 5 in your contact list or will you have to ask around and manually add those by say asking them for a PIN# or similar ID Code?

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
will automatically list the people who have iOS 5 in your contact list or will you have to ask around and manually add those by say asking them for a PIN# or similar ID Code?

You just fire off a message to anyone you like using the normal Message app and if the recipient has iMessage it will automatically switch to an iMessage. No need to do anything. No PIN required.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4 on iOS 5 GM

Reactions: ZOFOURTWENTY

hollidizzle

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
question: what is imessage and how do i get it? is it supposed to be preinstalled with the ios 5? cuz i dont see it?

It's "baked" into the pre-installed messages. Simply enable it in your phone settings and it automatically recognizes when your recipient is also using iMessage.

And it is NOT like BBM, in that it is not a standalone app, with features etc. It's a simple text message using data perk...

Nicodm

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
iMessage is the same App as your SMS/MMS. It will detect if someone has iMessage and will send to that account automatically. It is preinstalled so all you have to do it set up your iM account.

iCanadian

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
As far as I see, it's essentially going to be like Blackberry Messanger. iMessage will be nice though, it's nice to have something that's just for the iPhone/iPod/iPad. I'd assume it runs off of either Data or Wireless Internet.

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
While iMessage can be compared to Blackberry Messenger it has one huge advantage over BBM (other than being on am iPhone, of course :p) in that it is one app for iMessage and text massaging. It is a smart way if doing things. You will also be able to move from iPhone to iPad to iPod touch and your messages will all be there- ready to continue the conversation. It is what I will likely use more than anything in iOS 5.

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I hope that it will have groups/group messaging added at a later date. That was one thing I loved about BBM, and definitely would love to see that on iMessage.

As stated before it will run over data, so if you're connected to wifi when you have no cellular service, it will work. Not every iPad has a cellular connection, and of course the iPod touch doesn't.

hollidizzle

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
I hope that it will have groups/group messaging added at a later date. That was one thing I loved about BBM, and definitely would love to see that on iMessage.

As stated before it will run over data, so if you're connected to wifi when you have no cellular service, it will work. Not every iPad has a cellular connection, and of course the iPod touch doesn't.

cosign. I said this in another thread of my own tho and got slandered lol

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2