Anyone use Facebook Messenger on iOS 5?

greasyg2006

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
And if you do, does your push notifications still work? I am using iOS 5 b7 and my push notifications have stopped working with FB Messenger. This is a big deal for me because I basically use FB Messenger to text when at work since I don't get any signal in my office, only WiFi. Thanks. I would gladly take any tips on how to fix this too. I have checked all of my setting twice, and notifications are turned on.

phoon61

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I use it on ios 5 B7 and never had a problem with it. I get my notifications still.
Maybe try deleting the app then reinstalling it

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
Works for me. I did notice that it stops pushing to the iPhone if you are online with the desktop messaging part of Facebook.

Theophany

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
What are the advantages of even using Facebook messenger

For me, the main reason I use it is because there are a lot of people that don't have my phone number. People from work, people that I went to high school/college with, etc.

It's basically a text message client that people don't need your phone number for.

Oh, and it works internationally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
For me, the main reason I use it is because there are a lot of people that don't have my phone number. People from work, people that I went to high school/college with, etc.

It's basically a text message client that people don't need your phone number for.

Oh, and it works internationally.

I think he meant why use that over the chat in the Facebook app itself.

Theophany

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I think he meant why use that over the chat in the Facebook app itself.

In that case, it's because the Facebook app is incredibly slow and clunky, where the Messenger app is sleek and fast (and includes more features to the best of my knowledge).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
In that case, it's because the Facebook app is incredibly slow and clunky, where the Messenger app is sleek and fast (and includes more features to the best of my knowledge).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eh, I wouldn't go that far but yeah, it's not the best. :)

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Latest update for facebook app is terrible.. But most of the time i'm at home and I find it annoying being alerted twice about facebook msgs, so i mostly don't use the messenger app.

Tillsworth

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Works for me. I did notice that it stops pushing to the iPhone if you are online with the desktop messaging part of Facebook.

Do you know if this is intentional? Because the only thing that's stopping me getting the app at the moment is the fact that I don't want to keep getting notifications on my phone when I'm chatting to someone on my computer.

Theophany

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Do you know if this is intentional? Because the only thing that's stopping me getting the app at the moment is the fact that I don't want to keep getting notifications on my phone when I'm chatting to someone on my computer.

I've noticed the same, so I'm guessing that Facebook recognizes when you're on the site and will stop pushing to your phone, similar to how they stop pushing notifications to the Facebook app when you have Messenger.

toomanyphones

Oct 14, 2008
Visit site
I've noticed the same, so I'm guessing that Facebook recognizes when you're on the site and will stop pushing to your phone, similar to how they stop pushing notifications to the Facebook app when you have Messenger.

I don't know about the deskstop site since I seldom use it but I still get 3 notification for each message.Text ,app and messenger

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I seem to be having notification problems in general with IOS5 ... Just depends on my signal strength, much more sensitive than iOS 4 ...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2