So the new way it works would be safer as the perp can’t fully turn off the wireless completely- or at least for too long. I think I agree with you. Perhaps I may be changing my lock screen settings.
    You're right. Now I only need Airplane Mode to be removable - the rest of the icons can stay.
    Tartarus likes this.
    09-20-2017 02:52 PM
    As some others have said here.... This "new" way that the wifi toggle operates on iOS 11 is EXTREMELY annoying, to say the least. I really thought I was losing my mind yesterday when it kept coming back on...I was like wtf?

I wish Apple didn't change the behavior of it from iOS 10.

Hopefully they will change it back🤞🏽
    09-20-2017 03:14 PM
    It’s how iOS 11 is designed, Control Center only temporarily disables them now.
    Wait is this for real? What's the point of even having it in the CC then?
    I much rather have it so it turns fully off....
    decypher44 likes this.
    09-20-2017 04:39 PM
    That’s quite personal.
    I really really love this feature. I don’t want to enable and disable it all the time when I’m out and about.

Disabling wifi when I feel it has no added value for my connectivity is much better than to realize I haven’t enabled wifi when I needed it the most.

But just like I said, this is a personal preference and will take some getting used to.

As with most things Apple, you won’t even realize that the functionality of the toggle in Control Center has changed after a while.
    What's the point of even having it in the Control Center then if it's not turning it off? Is it just disconnecting me from that WiFi I was just on? If I toggle it, then my intent is to turn the WiFi off.
    decypher44 likes this.
    09-20-2017 04:41 PM
    What's the point of even having it in the Control Center then if it's not turning it off? Is it just disconnecting me from that WiFi I was just on? If I toggle it, then my intent is to turn the WiFi off.
    I have never wanted to fully disable wifi or Bluetooth when I tapped those toggles.

I simply wanted to disconnect from the currently connected wifi or device.
    With this new feature, Apple finally has made this possible.

The toggles now simply disconnect from where they’re connected, allowing you to connect to wifi as soon as you moved places or willing to connect to another Bluetooth device.

I have an Apple Watch and with hitting the Bluetooth toggle in Control Center I can now easily disconnect from my external speakers without also disconnecting my watch from my phone.
    09-20-2017 05:09 PM
    This new feature is frustrating to say the least. Before, I only had to go to Control Center to toggle my wifi when getting home or leaving, but now it means going into Settings to do it, otherwise it pops up while I'm at work where I do not have wifi. I reported this as a bug.

It's not a bug... you can turn it off in settings or by telling Siri to do it.. and it will be off.
    09-20-2017 06:20 PM
    Oohhhh.....So that's why my wifi keeps turning back on without my knowledge. Bad Apple, bad Apple
    09-20-2017 06:57 PM
    Bad Apple, bad Apple
    I literally LOL'd at this 🤣🤣🤣
    kcox52692 likes this.
    09-20-2017 08:19 PM
    I have never wanted to fully disable wifi or Bluetooth when I tapped those toggles.

I simply wanted to disconnect from the currently connected wifi or device.
    With this new feature, Apple finally has made this possible.

The toggles now simply disconnect from where they’re connected, allowing you to connect to wifi as soon as you moved places or willing to connect to another Bluetooth device.

I have an Apple Watch and with hitting the Bluetooth toggle in Control Center I can now easily disconnect from my external speakers without also disconnecting my watch from my phone.
    So the entire point of the new toggles is to literally save a few seconds of time? When I tested a few days ago it actually took 22 seconds to reconnect to wifi after using the toggle, but only took eight seconds to reconnect to wifi when I turned wifi off in the global settings. I'm guessing it's designed to work the opposite?
    09-21-2017 07:24 AM
    My usecase for the toggle is this:
    Previously: Tap the wifi to disconnect. Go somewhere else and connect to wifi by enabling it.

Now: tap the wifi to disconnect go somewhere else and my phone connect without me having to do anything.
    muckle_dabuckle and iwoodland like this.
    09-21-2017 07:38 AM
    My usecase for the toggle is this:
    Previously: Tap the wifi to disconnect. Go somewhere else and connect to wifi by enabling it.

Now: tap the wifi to disconnect go somewhere else and my phone connect without me having to do anything.
    Hmmm....I was hoping it worked like that but so far no luck. So in theory when I toggle off work wifi it should automatically connect to wifi when I get home? Is there a setting I have to change in location services?
    09-21-2017 08:27 AM
    Hmmm....I was hoping it worked like that but so far no luck. So in theory when I toggle off work wifi it should automatically connect to wifi when I get home?
    In theory, yes. That’s how Apple describes it.
    muckle_dabuckle likes this.
    09-21-2017 08:32 AM
    In theory, yes. That’s how Apple describes it.
    Cool thanks. It's a great idea. Now I have to figure out why it's not working for me.
    09-21-2017 08:33 AM
    So the entire point of the new toggles is to literally save a few seconds of time?
    No.

From https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208086

About Wi-Fi and Bluetooth

In iOS 11 and later, when you toggle the Wi-Fi or Bluetooth buttons in Control Center, your device will immediately disconnect from Wi-Fi and Bluetooth accessories. Both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth will continue to be available, so you can use these important features:

• AirDrop
    • AirPlay
    • Apple Pencil
    • Apple Watch
    • Continuity features, like Handoff and Instant Hotspot
    • Instant Hotspot
    • Location Services

I am sure that Apple was tired of people calling to ask why they couldn't, say, AirDrop files to their friends in the same room and discover it was because they had WiFi radios off, or why the Apple Pencil wasn't working, and find out that they turned off BT from control center just to disconnect from an external speaker (a more likely scenario).

This should be an option for power users like us, though, who know what we are doing when we turn these radios off. Hopefully 11.0.x at some point will add a long press/3D press for radio off, or a three way toggle, or something else in control center.
    09-21-2017 10:06 AM
    This is totally fu**ed. When they introduced control panel several years ago, they boasted about the ability to turn these things off. Now they’ve undone it. Bad decision, seriously. I use this feature several times a day.
    09-22-2017 01:19 PM
    This new feature is frustrating to say the least. Before, I only had to go to Control Center to toggle my wifi when getting home or leaving, but now it means going into Settings to do it, otherwise it pops up while I'm at work where I do not have wifi. I reported this as a bug.
    Go into WiFi settings and uncheck the "Ask to Join Networks" and you wont get anymore pop-ups...
    09-22-2017 03:05 PM
    Hmmm....I was hoping it worked like that but so far no luck. So in theory when I toggle off work wifi it should automatically connect to wifi when I get home? Is there a setting I have to change in location services?
    That's how it functions for me.. I'm at work now and connected to WiFi. Toggle off in CC. When I get home, it will automatically connect to my home wifi..
    09-22-2017 03:08 PM
    That's how it functions for me.. I'm at work now and connected to WiFi. Toggle off in CC. When I get home, it will automatically connect to my home wifi..
    Cool. So it is supposed to work like that. I had it work like that once since Monday. Toggled off wifi at home and when I got to work it automatically connected to work wifi. Never reconnects automatically when I get home.
    09-22-2017 03:26 PM
    Go into WiFi settings and uncheck the "Ask to Join Networks" and you wont get anymore pop-ups...
    It actually was already off. Just checked. But thanks for the suggestion!
    Rockdog97 likes this.
    09-22-2017 03:57 PM
    Being still on iOS 10.1.1, it's taken me a while to figure out what Y'all are talking about. LOL I think I finally got it.
    Tartarus likes this.
    09-22-2017 05:52 PM
    Here’s from apple support

09-22-2017 06:01 PM
    There’s little doubt in my mind that leaving these radios on unnecessarily drains battery life.
    09-22-2017 08:34 PM
    There’s little doubt in my mind that leaving these radios on unnecessarily drains battery life.
    I agree that it uses a little more battery than when you have it completely turned off. But the 1 to 2 hours extra battery life isn’t worth it for me to completely turn it off.

I use geocaching a lot, especially now when I’m on vacation, abroad, I use it to check in on Swarm what places I have been.

Since I’m on vacation in Istanbul, I don’t have wifi in my house (I only stay here for a maximum of 2 weeks, so it’s not worth it to get it for my house).
    I have been using solely LTE for the past week and will do so for the coming week. Only at places that I trust I use WiFi, to download big app updates or playlists to Music.
    It would have been too much steps for me to enable disable the wifi radio each time I want to use it.
    Instead, I only swipe up Control Center to disable that one or 2 wifi spots my phone connects to because I had previously connected to it.
    Imagine that I have to disable it, then enable it again to use better geo location the disable then enable and so on and so.
    The way it works in iOS 11 is much more convenient in my use case.

It’s not like I don’t care how others feel, on the contrary, but these decisions are not made lightly by Apple. They have focus groups and such.
    If, by any chance, Apple feels their decision is wrong, they’ll hopefully revert it back to the old way in a future update.

Until then there is not much we can do than to submit feedback to Apple through https://www.apple.com/feedback/.
    09-23-2017 03:41 AM
    I agree that it uses a little more battery than when you have it completely turned off. But the 1 to 2 hours extra battery life isn’t worth it for me to completely turn it off.

I use geocaching a lot, especially now when I’m on vacation, abroad, I use it to check in on Swarm what places I have been.

Since I’m on vacation in Istanbul, I don’t have wifi in my house (I only stay here for a maximum of 2 weeks, so it’s not worth it to get it for my house).
    I have been using solely LTE for the past week and will do so for the coming week. Only at places that I trust I use WiFi, to download big app updates or playlists to Music.
    It would have been too much steps for me to enable disable the wifi radio each time I want to use it.
    Instead, I only swipe up Control Center to disable that one or 2 wifi spots my phone connects to because I had previously connected to it.
    Imagine that I have to disable it, then enable it again to use better geo location the disable then enable and so on and so.
    The way it works in iOS 11 is much more convenient in my use case.

It’s not like I don’t care how others feel, on the contrary, but these decisions are not made lightly by Apple. They have focus groups and such.
    If, by any chance, Apple feels their decision is wrong, they’ll hopefully revert it back to the old way in a future update.

Until then there is not much we can do than to submit feedback to Apple through https://www.apple.com/feedback/.
    Yük, I'm still a bit confused by this. Help me get this straight. I'm on 10.1.1. When I turn wifi off in the control center, it's the same as toggling it off in settlngs. But it doesn't "forget this network" where I would need to sign back in. So in iOS 11, when you turn wifi off in the control center, it only turns off what you're connected to, but other wifi spots still show, and can be connected to. Is that correct? Or am I still wallowing in ignorance?
    09-23-2017 07:36 AM
    No, it’s exactly how you describe it.

In iOS 10, the toggle completely shuts off WiFi.
    In iOS 11, it disconnects and disabled auto-join for that network until you went somewhere and came back, or at 5 am in the morning or if you have connected to another WiFi in the meantime. WiFi stays enabled and still joins networks automatically if you have previously connected to them.
    To clarify, it simply disconnects from that one WiFi and disables auto join only for that one WiFi.
    Last edited by Tartarus; 09-23-2017 at 07:55 AM.
    09-23-2017 07:45 AM
63 123