WP user, tried iOS for seven days, now a "Convert"

gpobernardo

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
Hello, everyone!

This will be my first post here in iMore, but certainly not my first in Mobile Nations. I've been a Windows Phone user since Windows Mobile 5 almost a decade ago (when they didn't even have ROM and all data will be lost if the battery was removed from the phone for more than 10 minutes). My most recent WP devices were the legendary Lumia 1020 and the Lumia 535 (as a backup phone).

But then, the Lumia 1020 started to become sluggish, struggling with the "BETA" releases of Windows 10 Mobile. And Microosft wasn't releasing anything new - aside from the Lumia 950 and 950XL which I both had the chance to play around with in their store but just didn't have "it".

Then, it so happened that there was an old iPhone 4s lying around in the house, and I decided to "just try it" for one week.

Aside from the missing "Live Tiles", almost everything was working perfectly - not bad for an almost-four-year-old phone (twice as old as my 1020). Of course it didn't have LTE. And the apps? Probably I was just in a state of shock seeing the apps I'd like to have in my Windows Phone, but there's a LOT of apps.

But most importantly - almost everything was working as it should. I say almost because the 4s couldn't keep up with the Swype Keyboard requirements, and it only had 16GB of storage.

Cutting the long story short, I'm now using a brand new iPhone 6s that is less than two weeks old.

I'm still not leaving Windows entirely (my PCs are still Windows 10, and I have commitments and friends in WindowsCentral :cool:), but I'll probably not be seeing Windows 10 Mobile any time soon, if ever.

I'm probably just unlucky that my particular iPhone 6s has that antenna factory defect - no 2G/3G/4G, no GPS readings unless WIFI is turned on even if it is not connected to any particular WIFI router, buggy Bluetooth. But my carrier has agreed to replace the unit free-of-charge, they're just looking for the exact same model (128GB, space-gray).

Among other things, I'm a street photography enthusiast, a classical pianist, a portraitist (charcoal and pencil), a model-aircraft, vintage pocket watch, and mineral/crystal collector, and a Ph.D. candidate in Chemical Engineering - might have missed one or two, but that's for my Introduction entry here in iMore.

Nice to meet you all!

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
You're here! Welcome to iMore.

You're not alone here, you might even see some familiar names around. I hope that you get your 6s replacement soon though! I still watch and have my Windows phones on Windows 10 Mobile to see how that is. Occasionally, I like to play with it, but the quality of some apps is a bummer. I totally had the same app shock as you, it's really underrated. lol

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations on your new iPhone! I'm glad you like iOS . 😊

I hope the replacement will arrive soon and without any hardware issues.

gpobernardo

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
You're here! Welcome to iMore.

You're not alone here, you might even see some familiar names around. I hope that you get your 6s replacement soon though! I still watch and have my Windows phones on Windows 10 Mobile to see how that is. Occasionally, I like to play with it, but the quality of some apps is a bummer. I totally had the same app shock as you, it's really underrated. lol

Yup, never thought the day would come. :wink: Yeah, it's nice to see some familiar names around, including yours, Laura, and James. Just like you, I'm keeping my Lumia 535 and am seeing how things are going - gave my Lumia 1020 to my grandfather since he's looking for a "good" camera. App builds, in general, seem "more assuring". Downloaded/purchased a few to make my phone a more interesting device (e.g. the Sleep Cycle and Pact apps). I'll be around in both forums. Really looking forward to that replacement, though, and soon. :smile:

Congratulations on your new iPhone! I'm glad you like iOS . ��

I hope the replacement will arrive soon and without any hardware issues.

Thanks, Laura! I've been reading on possible issues and causes as to why this happened, turns out there's a lot of similar complaints (but I doubt that it represents the majority of 6s users). I suspect it started after plugging the headset in or after using a plastic case... at any rate, the local carrier is taking a bit too long to find a replacement unit. At least it'll be free-of-charge, hopefully without any hardware issues long term.

And thanks to everyone for the welcome! Nice to meet you all! I'll update this thread as soon as I get the replacement unit, or if things get worse. So far, even Bluetooth has started to fail completely. The only thing keeping it connected is Wi-Fi.

Nogitsune Micah

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I can't say that I am an iOS convert. At least not from Windows phone. It is still my preferred ecosystem and in many ways I find Apple iOS to be tedious. But I am at least committed to using it as a daily driver for the rest of the summer if only to get a better experience for my customers and when summer ends I will gladly replace it back with my lumia as my daily driver but it has at least replaced my laggy android nexus phone. So I'm happy about that.

It's a good OS though. So you chose well!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! I'm sure you'll run into a few old friends as you participate in our forum. Congratulations on your iPhone! The 6s--once you get one that actually works--is a great device.

gpobernardo

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for all the greetings! I'm back for an update - finally got a working iPhone 6s 128GB Space Gray, and just to be sure the Mobile Service Provider branch had another device (exactly the same) as a spare in case the one they handed over as replacement malfunctioned on the spot. I've been using it for five days already and so far everything is working perfectly.

However, I'm a bit frustrated seeing a 2-inch scratch on the screen in just that short period of ownership. I take care of my devices - the reason my Lumia 1020 (previous phone) lasted two years without scratching the screen - but for the iPhone 6s I'm not sure why it was so easily scratched. It's always in it's case, the case comes with a cover that protects the screen and it is always closed whenever I'm not using it. I suspect it was a single grain of sand (a surprisingly very common artifact on Earth) that scratched it while I was wiping off some fingerprints. The scratch isn't affecting readability or is discoloring any of the pixels (by diffraction) anyway, so I guess I'll be living with it (or more of it) for the next couple or so of years. In case this phone breaks down, I still have two days to claim another replacement.

The Barometer is especially interesting - being an amateur meteorologist - and it seems to detect my altitude to the nearest decimeter; finally got my hands on a device with a barometer that actually lets me see barometric data (I wonder why Microsoft didn't make that available for the Lumia 1020 which also had a barometer).

Anyway, I'll see you around in these forums (as well as in Windows Central for those who have Windows devices).

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
However, I'm a bit frustrated seeing a 2-inch scratch on the screen in just that short period of ownership. I take care of my devices - the reason my Lumia 1020 (previous phone) lasted two years without scratching the screen - but for the iPhone 6s I'm not sure why it was so easily scratched. It's always in it's case, the case comes with a cover that protects the screen and it is always closed whenever I'm not using it. I suspect it was a single grain of sand (a surprisingly very common artifact on Earth) that scratched it while I was wiping off some fingerprints. The scratch isn't affecting readability or is discoloring any of the pixels (by diffraction) anyway, so I guess I'll be living with it (or more of it) for the next couple or so of years. In case this phone breaks down, I still have two days to claim another replacement.
That happened with my iPhone 5. I found using a crystal style screen protector covered up the scratch in the screen so it wasn't noticeable at all. My 5 was also only a few days old, and I used it for 2 years and never saw the scratch once the protector was installed.

gpobernardo

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
That happened with my iPhone 5. I found using a crystal style screen protector covered up the scratch in the screen so it wasn't noticeable at all. My 5 was also only a few days old, and I used it for 2 years and never saw the scratch once the protector was installed.

Are you referring to one of those Liquid Kristall Screen Protectors, or one of those solid crystal-like adhesive tempered glass proectors?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2