Do I need a phone for a cellular Apple Watch for my young child?

blessed2bamommie

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I am not ready for the phone at 9 (didn’t ask for opinions I’m an old Mama). I have a SE 2nd gen with cellular. I thought we could connect it without her having a phone too? I also have a 7 myself.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I am not ready for the phone at 9 (didn’t ask for opinions I’m an old Mama). I have a SE 2nd gen with cellular. I thought we could connect it without her having a phone too? I also have a 7 myself.
You should be able to configure a cellular Apple Watch for a child using your own iPhone through Family Setup.

Apple provides step-by-step instructions in this document: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT211768

Reactions: blessed2bamommie

blessed2bamommie

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I went directly to VZW which I might get rid of again and apparently I can add another line for $10 with a $35 activation on top of a $173 bill and I hadn’t activated all the watches! (for the older one with a phone and their Daddy) I’m looking at Visible again. It seems they own them now or I heard they do Total too.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

At the present time, you cannot directly call an Watch even though your wireless carrier has attached a phone number to it. You will have to associate the Watch to an iPhone that your daughter uses. She can then receive phone calls with the Watch. Forgive me if I’ve misunderstood your post.

blessed2bamommie

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
At the present time, you cannot directly call an Watch even though your wireless carrier has attached a phone number to it. You will have to associate the Watch to an iPhone that your daughter uses. She can then receive phone calls with the Watch. Forgive me if I’ve misunderstood your post.

She uses a first gen SE but it has no service. Maybe this wasn’t a good choice.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DRizzlemeup