My thoughts on the Nexus 6

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
It's a really good flagship, but it's not a bargain anymore; it's way too big also. Who wants a 6" phone? Like seriously, I'd be surprised if this thing takes off.
That's all. :)

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think at some point I would head to the Chinese phone market these days for cheap flagships to tide me over... Which I'm currently doing with the Oneplus-one... It's a wonderful phone and that's coming from an iPhone lover... I wouldn't go Nexus 6 simply because of price.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
It will be interesting to see how it sells now that they are getting support from all the carriers in the US. Including subsidy pricing if a person wants to buy on contract.

But IMHO I'm not sure it will really drive sales that much higher.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It will be interesting to see how it sells now that they are getting support from all the carriers in the US. Including subsidy pricing if a person wants to buy on contract.

But IMHO I'm not sure it will really drive sales that much higher.
In my opinion, having stock Android on a device is a huge draw by itself.

diesteldorf

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Of course, it remains to be seen, but rumor has it that there will only be two models.

1. USA
2. Rest of the World

It's already been determined that it'll be on all 4 of the major US carriers, so people are definitely wondering if the USA model will be able to be activated on any of them. If that's true, it's an advantage in itself, regardless of what you think about Android or Android vs. IOS.

At least in the US, people hate the idea of having to buy different devices when they switch carriers. The Nexus may give the consumer greater mobility.

Every Verizon Iphone since the 5C has had all the radio bands for full compatibility (HSPA, CDMA, LTE etc) with Verizon, ATT, and TMO---that's 3 of the 4 major carriers---sorry Sprint--AND it is UNLOCKED so it can easily be used most places in the world, so it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that the Nexus 6 could support multiple carriers with a single device---Apple has already done it and done it well.

The Nexus 6 (and most other Nexus devices IIRC) can easilly be rooted, not exactly the same as jailbreaking, but similar, without much hacking.

While Google doesn't manufacture the phone, they typically have a hand in the design and update the software themselves.

While Apple has always been pretty timely and reliable with their device updates, android devices don't always have that luxury, so knowing that there is an android device that can easily be rooted, expect timely updates and be cross compatible between carriers will offer advantages, even if some consider the dimensions less than ideal.

I would have to think that if Apple released a device that was unlocked, compatible on all major carriers and easily jailbroken, but had the dimensions of the 6+, it would still be popular since there is a sizable user base that appreciate flexibility, customization and control over their device.

Last edited:

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm an Android phone guy. That said, i've wanted to buy a Nexus since the "4". This new beast is way too big, as is the iPhone 6+. I don't like these new phablet sizes at all, and i don't care who makes them. My next phone will probably be the Nexus 5. It may be a year old, but at $399.00(unlocked) for 32gbs., it's still a good buy. Believe it or not, i would buy an iPhone 6, over the Nexus 6, if those were my only two choices.:p

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77