View Poll Results: Do you say "Text" or "Texted"?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • I say: "She just text me about tonight's plans."

1 6.25%
  • I say: "She just texted me about tonight's plans."

15 93.75%
    Lately I've been hearing more and more people say "I text her about the meeting" or "she text me that she was at the store" and it's been driving me crazy. Shouldn't it be "I texted her about the meeting" or "she texted me that she was at the store"?

Pretty sure it's just a slip due to the sound of the word "text" (it can seem like it's in the past tense) but thought I'd ask you all. So, what do you say?
    Last edited by Massie; 11-07-2011 at 12:14 PM.
    11-07-2011 12:11 PM
    I say "texted," but then again I'm old school (about to turn 56 next month) and received proper English education.
    11-07-2011 12:33 PM
    I would have said "texted" in that context that you mentioned.
    11-07-2011 12:33 PM
    Well, I'm not sure either is actually a proper verb, but if we're going with real English it should be texted :P
    11-07-2011 12:54 PM
    Why are you axing this question?? JK!!
    11-07-2011 01:04 PM
    When I have to use it in that way, I say "messaged" or "SMSed". I know autocorrect on the iPhone doesn't underline the word "texted" like Google Chrome does.

I don't believe 'texted' is correct, nor is 'text' when used in the sentence above.

"She just messaged me about tonight's plans." or "She just text messaged me about tonight's plans." would both be proper grammar, if I'm not mistaken.
    11-07-2011 01:11 PM
    I go with texted.
    11-07-2011 01:24 PM
    According to the online version of the Oxford English Dictionary
    (available through some libraries), there has been a verb "text" since
    the 1500s, with a past tense of "texted" or "tex'd." The current
    meaning of "to send a text message" was accepted by the OED in its
    draft additions of June 2004, and include the example of "texted."

Google Answers: Text messaging - past tense of verb "text"

BUT, those examples you have in the poll are current tense. So texted would not work.
    Last edited by Bias X; 11-07-2011 at 08:07 PM.
    Eileen89 likes this.
    11-07-2011 03:15 PM
    I use both. Mainly "texted", but sometimes when I'm with friends or just feeling tired and lazy I'll say "text"
    11-08-2011 10:53 PM
    According to the online version of the Oxford English Dictionary
    (available through some libraries), there has been a verb "text" since
    the 1500s, with a past tense of "texted" or "tex'd." The current
    meaning of "to send a text message" was accepted by the OED in its
    draft additions of June 2004, and include the example of "texted."

Google Answers: Text messaging - past tense of verb "text"

BUT, those examples you have in the poll are current tense. So texted would not work.
    Good answer, but I'm not sure about that last part--if the texting has already happened, past tense seems correct to me. If it were someone talking, you would say "she just spoke," not "she just speak." Cool info about the OED, by the way.
    11-08-2011 11:55 PM
    Lately I've been hearing more and more people say "I text her about the meeting" or "she text me that she was at the store" and it's been driving me crazy. Shouldn't it be "I texted her about the meeting" or "she texted me that she was at the store"?

Pretty sure it's just a slip due to the sound of the word "text" (it can seem like it's in the past tense) but thought I'd ask you all. So, what do you say?
    Or they could have said, "I sent her a text about the meeting." & "she sent me a text that she was at the store"

I think texted fine. Most ppl refer to it in that manner.

Sent from my iPhone communication device using Tapatalk
    11-09-2011 12:37 AM
    I HATE THAT!! We have full keyboards. We can type 'texted'.
    11-11-2011 09:01 AM
    In the example you gave I would say "I sent her a text message". I wouldn't use texted.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    11-13-2011 10:03 PM
    Good answer, but I'm not sure about that last part--if the texting has already happened, past tense seems correct to me. If it were someone talking, you would say "she just spoke," not "she just speak." Cool info about the OED, by the way.
    I guess you're right. To be honest I like the idea of it being text more than texted, never did like the word texted.
    11-13-2011 10:31 PM
    I guess I say texted, I've never really put that much thought in to it though, it seems kind of trivial.
    11-14-2011 09:47 AM
    Oh, it's definitely trivial, it just gets on my nerves, like saying "axe" for "ask" or "a whole 'nother". Basically, I'm kind of grammar snob but too polite to say anything in real life...
    11-14-2011 11:14 AM
    I haven't really noticed the others but "axe" is all too common in my area and I agree that does get tiring.
    11-14-2011 11:17 AM
    "Will you text her", "She just Texted me!" Hmmm now I'm curious which is proper...questions that make you go hmmmmmmm?
    12-21-2011 02:52 PM
    I voted for "texted" but not sure what's in the urban dictionary.
    12-21-2011 03:12 PM
    12-21-2011 03:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD