"Text" or "Texted"?

Do you say "Text" or "Texted"?

• Total voters

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Lately I've been hearing more and more people say "I text her about the meeting" or "she text me that she was at the store" and it's been driving me crazy. Shouldn't it be "I texted her about the meeting" or "she texted me that she was at the store"?

Pretty sure it's just a slip due to the sound of the word "text" (it can seem like it's in the past tense) but thought I'd ask you all. So, what do you say?

Last edited:

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
When I have to use it in that way, I say "messaged" or "SMSed". I know autocorrect on the iPhone doesn't underline the word "texted" like Google Chrome does.

I don't believe 'texted' is correct, nor is 'text' when used in the sentence above.

"She just messaged me about tonight's plans." or "She just text messaged me about tonight's plans." would both be proper grammar, if I'm not mistaken.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
According to the online version of the Oxford English Dictionary
(available through some libraries), there has been a verb "text" since
the 1500s, with a past tense of "texted" or "tex'd." The current
meaning of "to send a text message" was accepted by the OED in its
draft additions of June 2004, and include the example of "texted."

Google Answers: Text messaging - past tense of verb "text"

BUT, those examples you have in the poll are current tense. So texted would not work.

Last edited:

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
According to the online version of the Oxford English Dictionary
(available through some libraries), there has been a verb "text" since
the 1500s, with a past tense of "texted" or "tex'd." The current
meaning of "to send a text message" was accepted by the OED in its
draft additions of June 2004, and include the example of "texted."

Google Answers: Text messaging - past tense of verb "text"

BUT, those examples you have in the poll are current tense. So texted would not work.

Good answer, but I'm not sure about that last part--if the texting has already happened, past tense seems correct to me. If it were someone talking, you would say "she just spoke," not "she just speak." Cool info about the OED, by the way.

jakeless.123

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Lately I've been hearing more and more people say "I text her about the meeting" or "she text me that she was at the store" and it's been driving me crazy. Shouldn't it be "I texted her about the meeting" or "she texted me that she was at the store"?

Pretty sure it's just a slip due to the sound of the word "text" (it can seem like it's in the past tense) but thought I'd ask you all. So, what do you say?

Or they could have said, "I sent her a text about the meeting." & "she sent me a text that she was at the store"

I think texted fine. Most ppl refer to it in that manner.

Sent from my iPhone communication device using Tapatalk

decarlo4

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
In the example you gave I would say "I sent her a text message". I wouldn't use texted.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Good answer, but I'm not sure about that last part--if the texting has already happened, past tense seems correct to me. If it were someone talking, you would say "she just spoke," not "she just speak." Cool info about the OED, by the way.

I guess you're right. To be honest I like the idea of it being text more than texted, never did like the word texted.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Oh, it's definitely trivial, it just gets on my nerves, like saying "axe" for "ask" or "a whole 'nother". Basically, I'm kind of grammar snob but too polite to say anything in real life...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2