Accessing iCloud via Web browser?

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Well, sounds like you’re just not going to be happy regardless. Good luck with your future mobile electronics choices.

Andrew Brehm

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Well, sounds like you’re just not going to be happy regardless. Good luck with your future mobile electronics choices.

I am just puzzled as to how the Web interface is meant to be used. Apparently it can only be accessed in situations in which I can access iCloud using a device instead and don't need the Web interface. And when I need the Web interface, I cannot access it.

With gmail and Outlook I am used to using the Web interface on many devices that I never set up specifically to be used with my gmail or Outlook accounts.

Maybe it was a bad choice to go with Apple here. But that decision was made in 2001 or so long before I had any idea that they would make it so difficult in the future.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I am just puzzled as to how the Web interface is meant to be used. Apparently it can only be accessed in situations in which I can access iCloud using a device instead and don't need the Web interface. And when I need the Web interface, I cannot access it.

With gmail and Outlook I am used to using the Web interface on many devices that I never set up specifically to be used with my gmail or Outlook accounts.

Maybe it was a bad choice to go with Apple here. But that decision was made in 2001 or so long before I had any idea that they would make it so difficult in the future.

Like there is said many times in here: the web interface is not intended to serve you when you don’t have your phone with you.
It’s intended as an extension to your phone.
That you fail to grasp this is on you and not on Apple.

Andrew Brehm

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Like there is said many times in here: the web interface is not intended to serve you when you don’t have your phone with you.
It’s intended as an extension to your phone.
That you fail to grasp this is on you and not on Apple.

I do not "fail to grasp this", I simply disagree with the usefulness.

As I have explained several times, I find a Web interface problematic if it merely creates extra problems but serves no purpose.

If I have my Apple device (or other iCloud-connected device) with me, I don't need the Web interface.

And if I don't have my device with me, I cannot use the Web interface.

Hence the Web interface is superfluous, adds an extra risk to the system.

That you fail to grasp this is on you and not on me.

The Web interface is a security risk but can be useful to access iCloud in the absence of an iCloud-enabled device. But if it cannot be used as such, it is merely a security risk.

I suppose it might be useful if my iCloud-connected device is partly broken in such a way that the calendar and address book and/or email doesn't sync any more but it is still accepted as device to unlock the Web interface. But I have NEVER been in that situation. My phone either works or doesn't. The address book was never broken alone.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I do not "fail to grasp this", I simply disagree with the usefulness.

As I have explained several times, I find a Web interface problematic if it merely creates extra problems but serves no purpose.

If I have my Apple device (or other iCloud-connected device) with me, I don't need the Web interface.

And if I don't have my device with me, I cannot use the Web interface.

Hence the Web interface is superfluous, adds an extra risk to the system.

That you fail to grasp this is on you and not on me.

The Web interface is a security risk but can be useful to access iCloud in the absence of an iCloud-enabled device. But if it cannot be used as such, it is merely a security risk.

I suppose it might be useful if my iCloud-connected device is partly broken in such a way that the calendar and address book and/or email doesn't sync any more but it is still accepted as device to unlock the Web interface. But I have NEVER been in that situation. My phone either works or doesn't. The address book was never broken alone.

Yeah, like I said. That’s a you problem. You don’t see the use of it, the way it is now? Then simply don’t use it. You are in no way forced to use it.

Everything else is already said. Good luck.