I love gmail, have been using gmail apps since it was out. It has addressed one of the main things it was missing, "push mails", next best would be the idisk, but i'm not complaining. lol.
    09-24-2009 02:41 AM
    well mine works both ways; i dont know about how you set things up, but if i add a pic on the iPhone, it automatically updates the server too, and the same if i add them in the html app it updates the device. about the pic: the problem is that the html app only lets you put in certain size of the pic. so when it come out on the phone is really small. thats y it comes out at the top; but if you add it in the phone the iphone will let you put a higher def pic so when somebody calls you call see pic in full screen.
    I usually add the pic to the contacts from the Iphone this way when rgw contact calls it comes up full screen. Yes it does update the contacts pic rightaway in google but when I restore my contacts back into the iPhone from google the pics come back small and not full screen like before. Now when I sync it to outlook the pics come back full screen. So i don't know if it's something with google or what. Either way it's all good. I mean if I was paying for it then I be like WTF but since I'm not then I'm not really stressing it cause the service overall is great. Plus I use google voice so my contacts are always up to date.
    09-24-2009 03:35 AM
    yeah google resize the pics to keep the files size small in order for better faster sync with your device. this is great right? i never got so much for free. i feel special, now i know what a hot chik in a club full of single man feels like. lol
    09-25-2009 01:35 AM
    I have the exact opposite experience. I used SyncInABlink for contacts and regular gmail for mail. It worked perfect and it even stored google groups as iPhone contact groups on the phone (google sync does Not do this).

Once I decided to try out Google sync, I lost contacts, many duplicates were created, and no groups were synced. Same happened with MobileMe. I won't be renewing it due to it's hefty price tag.

Once my MobileMe expires I'll be doing what I do now: SyncInABlink for contacts and GPush for gmail. It's way cheaper.
    09-25-2009 03:37 AM
    now i know what a hot chik in a club full of single man feels like. lol
    hahaha yeah thats wild
    09-26-2009 08:02 PM
    I have the exact opposite experience. I used SyncInABlink for contacts and regular gmail for mail. It worked perfect and it even stored google groups as iPhone contact groups on the phone (google sync does Not do this).

Once I decided to try out Google sync, I lost contacts, many duplicates were created, and no groups were synced. Same happened with MobileMe. I won't be renewing it due to it's hefty price tag.

Once my MobileMe expires I'll be doing what I do now: SyncInABlink for contacts and GPush for gmail. It's way cheaper.
    This is exactly what I am doing right now as well. Good to see some one else using the same method.
    09-26-2009 08:04 PM
    if you have a Mac - hands down MobileMe is worth every penny.
    Simplicity at it's best!
    09-29-2009 04:39 AM
    I LOVE the concept of MobileME, but the $99 price tag is quite steep for something that gmail does for free! Right now, I only have one email account set up on my iPhone and no work email/calendar account to worry about, if I had more than one, MobileME would be a good investment
    10-07-2009 10:22 AM
    I think for the 'find your iphone' feature that Mobile ME offers, it's worth it.

Plus with Google Sync, there are many issues at present. I use ME, and forward my GMail to it, and use GMail's SMTP to reply...

I LOVE the concept of MobileME, but the $99 price tag is quite steep for something that gmail does for free! Right now, I only have one email account set up on my iPhone and no work email/calendar account to worry about, if I had more than one, MobileME would be a good investment
    10-07-2009 03:31 PM
    I don't know. I like the concept, but I do think the pricetag is high, even if you get the find/nuke your iphone option. It does seem to sync calendar items better than GMail sync does. (I've always had issues with GMail Sync. The timezone stuff must play havoc because my appointments are always off by a few hours (and that's particularly annoying on the "all day" events).) I guess we'll see. I just started my trial last week.
    10-07-2009 04:25 PM
    ...apparently you can get a cheaper version of Mobile ME on Amazon and eBay. Just becareful with family packs...

I don't know. I like the concept, but I do think the pricetag is high, even if you get the find/nuke your iphone option. It does seem to sync calendar items better than GMail sync does. (I've always had issues with GMail Sync. The timezone stuff must play havoc because my appointments are always off by a few hours (and that's particularly annoying on the "all day" events).) I guess we'll see. I just started my trial last week.
    10-07-2009 05:51 PM
    I tried the trial version, but even with the find my phone and the ability to lock it remotely, the price tag is quite high for a college student.. Maybe some day/ if the price is dropped
    10-07-2009 07:47 PM
    ...apparently you can get a cheaper version of Mobile ME on Amazon and eBay. Just becareful with family packs...
    I saw some of those on there. Appears to be different versions and such (not only family packs, but "old" versions as well?) I don't know. Push isn't working for me this evening. That would be a compelling factor in the decision if it worked somewhat reliably. But it isn't at the moment (and last week, I thought setting it up after setting up Google Sync caused the push not to work, so I deleted all my accounts and re-added them, and it worked for a while). Kind of bummed.
    10-07-2009 09:43 PM
    Weird, because earlier this week, I had half Mobile ME (Find and Browser favourites) and Google Sycn installed. Seems to cause a few issues...

Yesterday, I reverted to JUST Mobile ME. But, not all my emails were being PUSH instantly like it use to. I removed everything, i.e. all accounts, and then re-added my Mobile ME. Thus far, all is well...

I saw some of those on there. Appears to be different versions and such (not only family packs, but "old" versions as well?) I don't know. Push isn't working for me this evening. That would be a compelling factor in the decision if it worked somewhat reliably. But it isn't at the moment (and last week, I thought setting it up after setting up Google Sync caused the push not to work, so I deleted all my accounts and re-added them, and it worked for a while). Kind of bummed.
    10-08-2009 08:14 AM
    ill be honest i paid for mobileme because i wanted a good email address and with google having a ridiculous amount of users so i could not have the username i wanted where as mobile me i could

since then i have used it for about a year and now i don't think i could move to another email address i love mobile me

i have all my mac's synced more than worth the price tag
    11-03-2009 07:41 PM
    I love my mobile me. I also love logging into my boyfriends and sending him annoying messages he can't ignore. Usually purposely embarrassing while he's at work.
    11-06-2009 04:43 AM
    I've been using Mobile Me and am pretty happy. I don't use my @me email though I prefer gmail for that.
    11-06-2009 03:28 PM
    I just set io the google sync and the push mail works great. I'm going to cancel my MobileMe account before my free trial is over
    me too I believe. I was talked into it in the store and am finding it is not necessary for my personal needs. I am on a PC.

I've only had a iphone for a few days, and I tried Mobile Me and it took ALL my google contacts - regardless of whether they were in my contacts area or not - and pushed them. So if google had created a contact automacally for someone and then later I created a separate contact for them - well the google one is still lingering in gmail. Mobile Me picked BOTH up. Google sync using Microsoft Exchange did not - it only picked up the items I had personally marked as contacts. Since I am on a PC and am using Picasa for my pic hosting and gmail for email... I'm thinking Mobile Me isn't a good fit for me. Good thread, is really helping me decide at a critical time.
    11-08-2009 03:57 AM
    MobileMe works great, but the Web Apps leave a little to be desired. If you access your email via the web frequently, MobileMe may not be the way to go. However, if you access it on a desktop client, I see little reason to not take the plunge to Apple's service.
    11-13-2009 10:51 AM
    MobileMe is awesome except to the @me email. It works great with my iPhone, but only sends an occasional email to my Mac.
    11-13-2009 01:51 PM
    I love MobileMe. However, @me.com email really needs server-side rules/filters. If they are not available by the time my current subscription ends, I'm probably going to not bother with it again.
    11-15-2009 02:05 AM
    I've been using Gmail\Google for the past two weeks or so, and thus far all seems well...
    11-30-2009 07:39 PM
    Id be using mobileme if it wasnt the price that you had to pay for which gmail does most all of that for free. So gmail for me
    11-30-2009 11:37 PM
    Downfall of using the GMail exchange (push) for the iPhone it doesn't sync all your mail, and the "load more" doesn't show up. It only syncs 30 days worth of mail before you don't see it on the phone anymore ( even though it's on the server ). Google has said they are looking into this, but who knows if anything will be done about it or how long it will take.
    12-01-2009 12:46 AM
    Gmail for me!
    12-03-2009 07:21 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD