Gmail delete help

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm not that familiar with Gmail. My work email has switched to Gmail. It's setup and working fine on the native email app on my 4S. I can't find an option to remove deleted messages. Is it not there or what?

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Ahhh Gmail, it works a bit different .. You will need to go into Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> Tap on your gmail account and toggle the setting from Archive to Delete. This will allow you to delete your messages with a swipe instead of auto archiving them. Hope this helps!

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Ahhh Gmail, it works a bit different .. You will need to go into Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> Tap on your gmail account and toggle the setting from Archive to Delete. This will allow you to delete your messages with a swipe instead of auto archiving them. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the help! :)

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how this carries over to iOS and the native Mail app, but if you go into gmail settings in a browser and go to the 'forwarding and pop/imap' tab, there are options to archive, move to trash, or immediately delete forever.

Thank you Karen. I'll check it out.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
When you right swipe the message in Mail it doesn't delete?

It does delete if I swipe. I'm referring to like other email accounts I have on my iPhone that get deleted automatically from the trash box. I have them set to be removed after 1 week normally.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Ahh that setting is handled on the gmail side. You will need to go into settings on the Gmail site. Click on Forwarding and POP/IMAP .. Take a look at IMAP Access: first make sure it's enabled and also make sure the Auto Expunge Off is selected. The next option "When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from last visible IMAP folder:" select Move the message to the Trash.
ruzuqeme.jpg

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Ahh that setting is handled on the gmail side. You will need to go into settings on the Gmail site. Click on Forwarding and POP/IMAP .. Take a look at IMAP Access: first make sure it's enabled and also make sure the Auto Expunge Off is selected. The next option "When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from last visible IMAP folder:" select Move the message to the Trash. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/15/ruzuqeme.jpg

Thanks much! :)

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2