Gmail exchange question

vinnyv11

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi everybody. I'm running into the following issue with my iPhone. When I receive an email through my exchange it is saving a copy to my inbox and to my all mail folder. After I delete it from my inbox it is gone but the copy is still in my all mail folder. Is there a way to get the exchange to stop auto saving a version to the all mail folder unless i move it there? Coming from android where the only things that went to the all mail folder were the items I archived.

icebox93

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The reason to delete it is that sometimes things belong in the trash. If you have a big house with 5000 sq feet of space, would you keep every piece of mail that comes? I mean with that much space you can keep a whole lot of mail, magazines, and newspapers. I have a friend that is a serious packrat and I was always amazed at how much he could stuff into a small 2BR apt. In short, can save doesn't mean should or must save.

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Go to Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendar> tap on your Gmail account and choose Archive Off.

That is only for IMAP. Set up as exchange and you can't "archive"

I just move mail I want to keep to All Mail in Exchange mode.

Or, more accurately, once or twice a day, go to gmail on the iMac and archive there. Or the mobile web version.

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
That is only for IMAP. Set up as exchange and you can't "archive"

I just move mail I want to keep to All Mail in Exchange mode.

Or, more accurately, once or twice a day, go to gmail on the iMac and archive there. Or the mobile web version.

(my gmail is set up as Exchange),

Question: On iPhone, if I delete an email from my "inbox", it still stays in my "all mail" folder.. Deleted mail from "inbox" doesn't even go into the "trash" folder. If i delete an email from the "all mail" folder, it moves it to the "trash" folder and also removes it from the "inbox" . . . whew!

So if I want to truly delete an email, I have to delete it from my "all mail" folder and then delete it from my "trash" folder? Does this sound correct?

hugecanoli

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I posted this in another thread and it was helpful. Hope it helps you out as well..

If you set up your Gmail account via exchange active sync, deleting an email on your phone archives it in your gmail account. You can view your archived messages by clicking on "All Mail" on the Gmail website.

The email isnt actually deleted, its just archived out of your inbox.

Below is a guide I've been using to see the way iPhone actions interact with gmail:

Using Gmail Features : Mail, Calendar & Contacts Sync - Google Mobile Help

Reactions: shinbone

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I posted this in another thread and it was helpful. Hope it helps you out as well..

If you set up your Gmail account via exchange active sync, deleting an email on your phone archives it in your gmail account. You can view your archived messages by clicking on "All Mail" on the Gmail website.

The email isnt actually deleted, its just archived out of your inbox.

Below is a guide I've been using to see the way iPhone actions interact with gmail:

Using Gmail Features : Mail, Calendar & Contacts Sync - Google Mobile Help

That explains it well. Thanks

RealDeal71

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
You could just view your new messages from the All Mail folder so that when you delete it from there the message is sent to the trash folder which is auto-deleted every 30 days by Gmail.

You could also switch from Exchange to IMAP but you lose the Push functionality.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77