Trade in and save big📱:Get an iPhone 11 for free
    What percentage of Android users are running Oreo?
    What percentage of iOS users (give it a couple of days) will be running 12?

It’s not a myth, it’s inherent in the design. Android has many versions and many manufacturers making hardware. It’s impossible for there to be the cohesiveness found in iOS.

Not a knock, just my observation. I prefer cohesiveness.
    09-17-2018 06:31 PM
    What percentage of Android users are running Oreo?
    What percentage of iOS users (give it a couple of days) will be running 12?

It’s not a myth, it’s inherent in the design. Android has many versions and many manufacturers making hardware. It’s impossible for there to be the cohesiveness found in iOS.

Not a knock, just my observation. I prefer cohesiveness.
    Clearly you do not read.

I suggest you do. I know it’s a lot, but I have faith in you.

Oreo offers very little if anything to a Samsung device user on Nougat. The benefits are all in the Samsung Experience software, which Google definitely didn’t develop.
    09-17-2018 06:35 PM
    Clearly you do not read.

I suggest you do.
    I read.
    You made an argument why fragmentation is ok.
    I don’t agree.

Easy peasy
    09-17-2018 06:38 PM
    I read.
    You made an argument why fragmentation is ok.
    I don’t agree.

Easy peasy
    There is no fragmentation.

Only the warped expectation or idea that Samsung Experience is Android proper, which it isn’t.

Most of us understand how this works. That is why you should read, cause I’m sure you didn’t get past the first paragraph.

Samsung compared to Stock is like macOS compared to FreeBSD. Do you use only Windows because you prefer “cohesiveness?”

Your argument doesn’t pass a basic test. I suggest you revisit it.

P.S. name one major app that runs on Android Nougat or iOS 10 that does not run on Android Pie or iOS 12...
    09-17-2018 06:41 PM
    There is no fragmentation.

Only the warped expectation or idea that Samsung Experience is Android proper, which it isn’t.

Most of us understand how this works. That is why you should read, cause I’m sure you didn’t get past the first paragraph.

Samsung compared to Stock is like macOS compared to FreeBSD. Do you use only Windows because you prefer “cohesiveness?”

Your argument doesn’t pass a basic test. I suggest you revisit it.
    Good question.
    I don’t use Windows at all.

Enjoy your new device.
    09-17-2018 06:44 PM
    Good question.
    I don’t use Windows at all.
    Exactly my point ;-)

——

Cohesiveness is in Android if you stop treating every OEM like they’re developing literally the same OS.

Android is a base to be built upon - like Linux or BSD. Samsung’s Android “district” is basically a different OS using the same underpinnings - the way macOS uses UNIx - but we speak of it as a different platform altogether; not generic UNIX.

Google tests and certifies to maintain compatibility across them, for the purpose of Play Store and native access to their ecosystem. This is a selling point to consumers, so vendors stick to this model. There is a reason why OEMs name their skins (Sense, Samsung Experience, MIUI, etc.).

Cohesiveness is gained and maintained by not vendor hopping. Upgrading from one S or Note to another is indistinguishable from upgrading an iPhone. I stopped caring about Android version updates years ago, when I realized nothing of worth cane from them. The OEMs already had implemented all the “good features” and Google offloaded a lot of other stuff to Play Services; which used to require a FW update.

“Android” is not iOS. You don’t need an update for an new Mail app. The only huge consideration are security updates.

Apple makes this cut and dry by simply not licensing out their platforms ;-)

The version number of the underlying platform does not matter because OEMs are years ahead of Google in product/feature development. Again: What matters is security updates. OEMs are good with that, these days.

Most consumers update for the vendor features, not Android kernel version numbers. Google got Multi-Window in base Android 4-6 years after Samsung and LG, for example.
    09-17-2018 06:47 PM
    Exactly my point ;-)

——

Cohesiveness is in Android if you stop treating every OEM like they’re developing the same OS.

Android is a base to be built on - like Linux or BSD. Samsung’s Android is basically a different OS using the same underpinnings. Google tests and certified to maintain compatibility across them, for the purpose of Play Store and native access to their ecosystem.

Cohesiveness is gained and maintained by not vendor hopping.

Apple makes this cut and dry by simply not licensing out their platforms ;-)
    Sigh......

I’m sorry I offended you by using the word fragmented. I have my (current) reasons for preferring iOS as you now have your personally legitimate reasons for wanting to switch to Android.
    Does it really matter? We have choice! That’s a good thing.

You cannot convince me Android is anything I want to currently use any more than I can convince you to not switch. My devices work extremely well for my needs. Perfect? Of course not. Hopefully Android will help you do the same.
    09-17-2018 06:55 PM
    Sigh......

I’m sorry I offended you by using the word fragmented. I have my (current) reasons for preferring iOS as you now have your personally legitimate reasons for wanting to switch to Android.
    Does it really matter? We have choice! That’s a good thing.

You cannot convince me Android is anything I want to currently use any more than I can convince you to not switch. My devices work extremely well for my needs. Perfect? Of course not. Hopefully Android will help you do the same.
    Aren’t you the one who responded to me in disagreement? You are now speaking as if it was the other way around.

If you’re going to disagree, at least explain why. Don’t get pissy when someone responds and then claim they are acting “offended” simply because you were far too damn lazy to read the post you replied to.

And how in the living f$@& do you think I’m trying to convince you of anything. I have made no such recommendation to you. The only thing I did was clarify and repeat what you refuse to read and comprehend yourself.

Please quote such statements of recommendation or attempts to convince you or anyone else to switch platforms.

I want to see this...
    09-17-2018 06:57 PM
    For myself it’s about the integration between my iPhone and my Apple desktop and reliability that’s keeps me in the Apple platform.

I know google does a lot of cool things and Android is the most widely used OS, but the updates are not as controlled as Apples and are tied to the carrier and I make sure all my devices are updated automatically.

I also like iCloud backup which in my opinion is the best device backup in the business. I backup my device every night and if my device dies, I simply get a new one and use the restore function and my new device is exactly like my old one without missing a beat.

I will always love the simplicity of IOS and I say this all the time when folks ask me why I keep going back to my iPhone and IOS, it just works, plain and simple.

As far as Mac OS, I left the PC world back in 2008 when our company shifted from PC to Mac and have never looked back.

In the end it’s all about what works best for you individual needs. Some folks love Windows and the PC world and some folks like me love Mac.

Last, but not least you have to decide what’s best for your needs based on your budget and what your going to be using the device for and decide which one will satisfy both parameters and go with it.
    TgeekB and Golurk like this.
    09-17-2018 10:13 PM
    For myself it’s about the integration between my iPhone and my Apple desktop and reliability that’s keeps me in the Apple platform.

I know google does a lot of cool things and Android is the most widely used OS, but the updates are not as controlled as Apples and are tied to the carrier and I make sure all my devices are updated automatically.

I also like iCloud backup which in my opinion is the best device backup in the business. I backup my device every night and if my device dies, I simply get a new one and use the restore function and my new device is exactly like my old one without missing a beat.

I will always love the simplicity of IOS and I say this all the time when folks ask me why I keep going back to my iPhone and IOS, it just works, plain and simple.

As far as Mac OS, I left the PC world back in 2008 when our company shifted from PC to Mac and have never looked back.

In the end it’s all about what works best for you individual needs. Some folks love Windows and the PC world and some folks like me love Mac.

Last, but not least you have to decide what’s best for your needs based on your budget and what your going to be using the device for and decide which one will satisfy both parameters and go with it.
    Well said Bakron. There is something to say about simplicity, and I don’t mean lacking features. Why just shove a bunch of features into a smartphone that most people won’t use? Make them useful. Make them integrate beautifully with your ecosystem. Apple, for the most part, has the best overall experience for me.
    bakron1, joemd60 and Annie_8plus like this.
    09-18-2018 04:14 PM
    I like the unified branding from Apple. That and awesome build quality. But recently Apple has waned in the area of goodies.
    09-24-2018 05:15 AM
    I like the unified branding from Apple. That and awesome build quality. But recently Apple has waned in the area of goodies.
    Good build quality isn’t unique to Apple.
    08-10-2019 04:48 AM
    Good build quality isn’t unique to Apple.
    Maybe not unique to Apple, though it sure is very consistent with Apple.
    Just_Me_D, kataran, TgeekB and 1 others like this.
    08-10-2019 10:56 AM
    I’ve said it before Software and Hardware integration is Apple’s strong suit

Although Google is in the running there fragmentation will always keep them in second place
    TgeekB likes this.
    08-10-2019 11:22 AM
    Maybe not unique to Apple, though it sure is very consistent with Apple.
    Equally consistent with Samsung, Nokia, Xiaomi and Huawei (I can go on).

Though I did appreciate their phones not exploding in 2017 lol
    08-10-2019 11:23 AM
    Equally consistent with Samsung, Nokia, Xiaomi and Huawei (I can go on).

Though I did appreciate their phones not exploding in 2017 lol
    I will have to take your word for it.

My Nokia Windows Phone was crap. The SIM slot broke with the first attempt of inserting a SIM card. Just bad design. Of course, I had to return the damaged phone for a new replacement phone and pray that the fragile conducts don’t break off trying to insert the SIM. Apple’s design is of course, so much more thought out and well designed, so much that many have copied the design.
    Last edited by scruffypig; 08-10-2019 at 02:17 PM.
    Annie_8plus and kataran like this.
    08-10-2019 01:50 PM

Although Google is in the running there fragmentation will always keep them in second place
    Agree. It’s the whole picture; software, hardware and support.
    kataran and grover5 like this.
    08-10-2019 05:30 PM
    I will have to take your word for it.

My Nokia Windows Phone was crap. The SIM slot broke with the first attempt of inserting a SIM card. Just bad design. Of course, I had to return the damaged phone for a new replacement phone and pray that the fragile conducts don’t break off trying to insert the SIM. Apple’s design is of course, so much more thought out and well designed, so much that many have copied the design.
    Windows phone was crap but not Android. I’m talking about the Nokia by HMD.
    08-11-2019 05:06 AM

Android’s more advanced features and better value for money is their strong suit.
    08-11-2019 05:07 AM
    Android’s more advanced features and better value for money is their strong suit.
    I think, in the eye of an Android user, this is true.
    They either cannot afford an iPhone or just find them too expensive. They can get an Android for a few hundred dollars and it has all the features they need.
    I think Apple would be wise to look at this and focus on a mid level phone. They’ll never get the $300 crowd but could capture a lot of people around $550. If they don’t their numbers will continue to drop.
    kataran and J Dubbs like this.
    08-11-2019 06:23 AM
    I think, in the eye of an Android user, this is true.
    They either cannot afford an iPhone or just find them too expensive. They can get an Android for a few hundred dollars and it has all the features they need.
    I think Apple would be wise to look at this and focus on a mid level phone. They’ll never get the $300 crowd but could capture a lot of people around $550. If they don’t their numbers will continue to drop.
    I agree with your second paragraph, but forgive me for saying so, the first one seems very snobbish. While it is true that many can only afford Android devices, there are also many (myself included) who CAN afford an iPhone but prefer Android (for a multitude of reasons, which I won’t mention because it’ll trigger an argument)...so it isn’t always matter of we can’t afford it, but because we prefer something else.
    08-11-2019 11:36 AM
    I agree with your second paragraph, but forgive me for saying so, the first one seems very snobbish. While it is true that many can only afford Android devices, there are also many (myself included) who CAN afford an iPhone but prefer Android (for a multitude of reasons, which I won’t mention because it’ll trigger an argument)...so it isn’t always matter of we can’t afford it, but because we prefer something else.
    Certainly wasn’t trying to be snobbish. Either they are 1) too expensive for some people or 2) they don’t want to spend that much and find Android fits their needs.
    I use both so certainly don’t judge.
    scruffypig and Annie_8plus like this.
    08-11-2019 11:41 AM
    Certainly wasn’t trying to be snobbish. Either they are 1) too expensive for some people or 2) they don’t want to spend that much and find Android fits their needs.
    I use both so certainly don’t judge.
    Ah...when rephrased it makes more sense (was initially confused). Which devices do you use?
    08-11-2019 11:43 AM
    Ah...when rephrased it makes more sense (was initially confused). Which devices do you use?
    I have an iPhone XR and a Nokia 7.1.
    08-11-2019 11:47 AM
    I have an iPhone XR and a Nokia 7.1.
    Good phones. Both got a lot of praise from reviewers in general. Quick question: Do you notice the XR’s display to be slightly fuzzy sometimes? Because on paper the 750p LCD seems a bit inadequate despite the age old retina standard.
    08-11-2019 11:54 AM
61 123