Could I if I wanted to just do creative things I need to on an iPhone or do I still need the desktop computer or laptop to do things I need to at any given time?

I wanted to do an experiment and see if I truly can just have my iPhone and nothing else and survive in every way possible...

Any thoughts?
    joemd60 likes this.
    03-22-2014 09:33 PM
    If push came to shove then I could probably get by using just my iPhone, but a computer makes certain things a lot easier. The large physical keyboard and full desktop browser alone will keep computers relevant for quite some time, in my opinion.
    03-22-2014 09:53 PM
    Agree, I do a lot from my iPhone and iPad. But there's still things that are a lot easier on a desktop.
    Speedygi likes this.
    03-22-2014 10:05 PM
    Agree too. I think the iBabies are best for consuming content. I think content creation, and often productivity apps and the like are simpler on a traditional computer.

via the tablet
    Speedygi and taz323 like this.
    03-22-2014 10:14 PM
    I wont dare open spreadsheets on my ipgones and even ipad. I still prefer my macs

Sent from my iPad air using Tapatalk
    Speedygi likes this.
    03-23-2014 04:41 AM
    Could I if I wanted to just do creative things I need to on an iPhone or do I still need the desktop computer or laptop to do things I need to at any given time?

I wanted to do an experiment and see if I truly can just have my iPhone and nothing else and survive in every way possible...

Any thoughts?
    Sure. I guess it depends on what you need. I haven't had home internet for 20 years. I do everything on my phone.
    Speedygi likes this.
    03-23-2014 07:26 AM
    There is very little you can't do on an iPhone.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5
    03-23-2014 09:51 AM

Tell that to the android warriors down the street at the Android Central forums. So many of them believe the iPhone and a desk calculator offer about the same utility.

via the phone
    03-23-2014 10:29 AM
    I could but use iPad lots and desktop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    03-23-2014 11:01 AM
    Tell that to the android warriors down the street at the Android Central forums. So many of them believe the iPhone and a desk calculator offer about the same utility.

via the phone
    Granted, you can't really download YouTube videos or do torrenting without Jailbreaking. But other than that, if one can overlook the smaller screen they can do anything on an iPhone.
    03-23-2014 11:57 AM
    I did for roughly 8 months and for the most part still do.
    My laptop died shortly after I got my 5 and in the process of replacing it I looked to my iPhone for suitable short term solutions. Needless to say I never bothered to replace my laptop.
    As a small business owner I discovered everything I needed to accomplish was possible right from the device I was already carrying and the addition of having everything with me as opposed to stuck on a device at home (which I'm rarely at) is priceless.
    I bought an iPad 4 last May with the intent to use it for document creation/editing and plan reviews on a larger screen as opposed to my 5. It sat unopened on my bedside table until I finally got around to unboxing it in October. To this day I probably only use it once a week max and most of those times are just to say I did in an attempt to justify my iPad purchase. Seems I don't even really have much of a need for it.
    I have yet to encounter something I need that my iPhone can't do and I don't see myself purchasing additional devices anytime soon as my iPhone alone does just fine!
    Speedygi and phonejunky like this.
    03-23-2014 07:30 PM
    This is my goal a one device life

My laptop is mostly used to serve my iPhone as it use to serve my Palm devices

iMore Ambassador -iPhone 5s
    Speedygi likes this.
    03-23-2014 07:44 PM
    It's possible. I was without a laptop for a couple of months, and I survived.
    I even opened a new bank account through my phones web browser. 😁
    kataran, phonejunky and Speedygi like this.
    03-23-2014 08:12 PM
    I would say it's possible but for certain web sites the small screen will be a pain .. 99 percent of the time I use my iPhone and ipad to accomplish just about anything I have not ran into one or two sites that I need a computer ... Some say you can not manage documents etc with a ipad I say you can do anything .. You just have to think about it differently to accomplish the same thing you want.

Example

My work emailed me a doc I needed
    To fill out sign and fax or email back.

Normally I would open it fill it out but then I got to the part that said sign ..
    So I backed out used a diff app to convert the doc to a PDF then used adobe filled in the form and signed with my finger and emailed it.

Another thing I did was use a scanner app scanned my papers I needed to send and instead of emailing them one by one because that's how it works I uploaded all my doc from one app into drop box and them emailed a link to my Dropbox folder.

So if you really need to accomplish something it can be done it's just a matter of how.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    03-23-2014 08:48 PM
    If push came to shove then I could probably get by using just my iPhone, but a computer makes certain things a lot easier. The large physical keyboard and full desktop browser alone will keep computers relevant for quite some time, in my opinion.
    ^^^^^^
    This!
    03-24-2014 09:22 AM
    I couldn't... I'm a PC gamer...

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk
    03-24-2014 09:58 AM
    What do you mean by "live" and what do you need to get done?

Many can "live" on their flip phones from 2003 and many can't "live" without bigger everything. Gamers, photographers and artists won't be happy with just an iPhone and those that only use their computers for email and internet will be fine with just an iPhone.
    Speedygi likes this.
    03-24-2014 11:39 AM
    I couldn't... I'm a PC gamer...

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk
    It's really interesting to see that none of the iOS game bruhaha can ever replace good old PC gaming...
    03-24-2014 11:44 AM

Any thoughts?
    I don't think you would get the same answer from two different people on this topic. What works for some might not be enough for others.

For me I would not be able to go with just a smart phone alone.
    03-24-2014 01:33 PM
    I can do most everything from my iPhone.
    03-24-2014 02:05 PM
    I can do most everything from my iPhone.
    I'm sure you can, but would you want to at its present screen size? ...or would adding, at least, an iPad to the mix makes things much more palatable? My wife lives on her iPhone for all content consumption but when she has to do any work, fill out any forms, or take any training she moves to her MBA. This is why Apple could really use a phablet, for those folks that only want or can only have that one device.

P.S. as much as I generally prefer iOS to Android I must admit that, for me, cursor placement is much easier in Android, as is accessing special characters.

via one of the t@blets
    Last edited by Haalcyon; 03-24-2014 at 03:32 PM.
    03-24-2014 03:09 PM
    It would need a bigger screen
    03-24-2014 03:19 PM
    It's possible I'm doing it now, and have been for the last 3 months. I don't have wifi at home, because I'm never there. I work nonstop two jobs plus I'm a fighter about to turn pro in the next 6 months. I use my iPhone to restructure my resume with the Apple pages application. From there I landed both of my jobs from craigslist and a jobs website from my browser. when I moved to the city I currently live in to train. I do my scheduling budgeting, banking all from my iPhone. I mean it's my end all be all so I know it can be done.
    koerk, Haalcyon, Speedygi and 2 others like this.
    04-07-2014 01:52 PM

There clearly is a lot I cannot do on my iphone, which I need a desktop for. Then again the iphone relieves me of the need to carry around a laptop at times.
    Speedygi likes this.
    04-07-2014 11:54 PM
    It's possible I'm doing it now, and have been for the last 3 months. I don't have wifi at home, because I'm never there. I work nonstop two jobs plus I'm a fighter about to turn pro in the next 6 months. I use my iPhone to restructure my resume with the Apple pages application. From there I landed both of my jobs from craigslist and a jobs website from my browser. when I moved to the city I currently live in to train. I do my scheduling budgeting, banking all from my iPhone. I mean it's my end all be all so I know it can be done.
    This is what I like to hear and striving for in the future

Way to go and good luck 👍

iMore Ambassador -iPhone 5s
    joemd60 likes this.
    04-08-2014 09:11 AM
27 12