Can someone live on his iPhone alone?

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Could I if I wanted to just do creative things I need to on an iPhone or do I still need the desktop computer or laptop to do things I need to at any given time?

I wanted to do an experiment and see if I truly can just have my iPhone and nothing else and survive in every way possible...

Any thoughts?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If push came to shove then I could probably get by using just my iPhone, but a computer makes certain things a lot easier. The large physical keyboard and full desktop browser alone will keep computers relevant for quite some time, in my opinion.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Agree too. I think the iBabies are best for consuming content. I think content creation, and often productivity apps and the like are simpler on a traditional computer.

via the tablet

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Could I if I wanted to just do creative things I need to on an iPhone or do I still need the desktop computer or laptop to do things I need to at any given time?

I wanted to do an experiment and see if I truly can just have my iPhone and nothing else and survive in every way possible...

Any thoughts?

Sure. I guess it depends on what you need. I haven't had home internet for 20 years. I do everything on my phone.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
There is very little you can't do on an iPhone.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Tell that to the android warriors down the street at the Android Central forums. So many of them believe the iPhone and a desk calculator offer about the same utility.

via the phone

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Tell that to the android warriors down the street at the Android Central forums. So many of them believe the iPhone and a desk calculator offer about the same utility.

via the phone

Granted, you can't really download YouTube videos or do torrenting without Jailbreaking. But other than that, if one can overlook the smaller screen they can do anything on an iPhone.

03_CTD

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I did for roughly 8 months and for the most part still do.
My laptop died shortly after I got my 5 and in the process of replacing it I looked to my iPhone for suitable short term solutions. Needless to say I never bothered to replace my laptop.
As a small business owner I discovered everything I needed to accomplish was possible right from the device I was already carrying and the addition of having everything with me as opposed to stuck on a device at home (which I'm rarely at) is priceless.
I bought an iPad 4 last May with the intent to use it for document creation/editing and plan reviews on a larger screen as opposed to my 5. It sat unopened on my bedside table until I finally got around to unboxing it in October. To this day I probably only use it once a week max and most of those times are just to say I did in an attempt to justify my iPad purchase. Seems I don't even really have much of a need for it.
I have yet to encounter something I need that my iPhone can't do and I don't see myself purchasing additional devices anytime soon as my iPhone alone does just fine!

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
This is my goal a one device life

My laptop is mostly used to serve my iPhone as it use to serve my Palm devices

iMore Ambassador -iPhone 5s

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
It's possible. I was without a laptop for a couple of months, and I survived.
I even opened a new bank account through my phones web browser. 😁

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I would say it's possible but for certain web sites the small screen will be a pain .. 99 percent of the time I use my iPhone and ipad to accomplish just about anything I have not ran into one or two sites that I need a computer ... Some say you can not manage documents etc with a ipad I say you can do anything .. You just have to think about it differently to accomplish the same thing you want.

Example

My work emailed me a doc I needed
To fill out sign and fax or email back.

Normally I would open it fill it out but then I got to the part that said sign ..
So I backed out used a diff app to convert the doc to a PDF then used adobe filled in the form and signed with my finger and emailed it.

Another thing I did was use a scanner app scanned my papers I needed to send and instead of emailing them one by one because that's how it works I uploaded all my doc from one app into drop box and them emailed a link to my Dropbox folder.

So if you really need to accomplish something it can be done it's just a matter of how.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Oofa

May 25, 2013
Visit site
What do you mean by "live" and what do you need to get done?

Many can "live" on their flip phones from 2003 and many can't "live" without bigger everything. Gamers, photographers and artists won't be happy with just an iPhone and those that only use their computers for email and internet will be fine with just an iPhone.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

Any thoughts?

I don't think you would get the same answer from two different people on this topic. What works for some might not be enough for others.

For me I would not be able to go with just a smart phone alone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR