iPhone 4S on Canadian Carriers-4G?

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I have a really stupid question. I assume that the iPhone 4S is not 4G capable, but I'm new to the whole iPhone world so I would like some clarification. Does the iPhone 4S run on the 4G network (where available) through Canadian carriers? Thanks.

jeffrey1027

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
4G=LTE and no iPhones currently support that network yet. Hopefully iPhone 5 will.
Don't let the 4 in the iPhone name confuse you with 4g, it's just their 4th generation iPhone.
The 4S is capable of running HSPA+ which has speeds of up to 14.1mps which is pretty fast

Reactions: leharris22

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification. I know there's a difference between a fast speed network and true 4G. I had assumed that the 4S is not compatible with LTE but wanted to confirm. But still, 14.1mps is really fast and I know my carrier has invested in the high speed network in my area, so it may be worth it.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I notice you're on Telus, how is your reception, data, etc? Here in Toronto my co-worker had Telus, I'm Fido and his phone was HORRIBLE!!! My phone is factory unlocked so we swapped his sim in my phone to see if it was an antennae issue and bam fell 2 bars right away. We would stand in the same spot in the basement of a 4 story building and I'm getting 4 bars all the time he's fluctuating between 2 bars and none. It was just really really horrible, so I'm wondering if it's just the area or what?

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Just to add in to what everyone said. Yes it is indeed lacking 4G. Also with the telus thing im on telus now. Switched from Rogers as they are garbage. I am incredibly happy with my service from them. At my location I get great service and speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avmsam

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
a lot of carriers, in Canada and USA, are pulling a marketing trick. Since there was no legal definition for 4G they referred to HSPA+ as 4G, when really it was more like 3.5G. so that's why many ads say phones are 4G when they really aren't. The real 4G is 4G LTE, which is now finally here. The new iPad has it and presumably the next iphone will.

SimonSage

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
At this point, I think it makes a lot more sense to just stop talking about Gs, and instead just say LTE and HSPA+ as the case may be.