AT&T embarrassment of WWDC

IamGov#IM

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
People from around the world where laughing at the fact that the ONLY US carrier could not come out with MMS or Tethering! MMS has been on phones for the better part of a decade! What the heck is going on here! So a couple of questions.....Do any of you think AT&T will charge for MMS when they finally come out with it?:confused: We all pretty much have discovered that tethering will be extra, but how much?:confused: Finally what ever happened to trying to match the competitor? It only makes sense to start pricing the iPhone service to match that of companies like Sprint. Obviously Verizon is still high on their pricing modules, but I would guarantee an addition of an iPhone would create competitive pricing for them. What the heck is AT&T doing? I am starting to regret switching 3 months ago.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
As frustrating as it is I'm sure they have some semi-legit reasons..

It probably is not as simple as we think.. then again, maybe I'm wrong and it is. :)

snakes2003g

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
if they charge for MMS i will cancel my contract and go to verizon. cause at&t's lack of getting MMS going when everyone else will be able to use it is ticking me off. I hope apple doesn't extend the contract with them and they take the next iphone to verizon.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
if they charge for MMS i will cancel my contract and go to verizon. cause at&t's lack of getting MMS going when everyone else will be able to use it is ticking me off. I hope apple doesn't extend the contract with them and they take the next iphone to verizon.

They already said, there will be no extra charge.

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
As frustrating as it is I'm sure they have some semi-legit reasons..

It probably is not as simple as we think.. then again, maybe I'm wrong and it is. :)

I think you are absolutely dead-on. Regarding MMS, blogs report that AT&T needs time to manually adjust every user account to remove options which currently block MMS. That is why some users who installed OS 3beta have been able to call AT&T directly to get MMS working. It took an arm and a leg, as well as certain other body parts, but some have got it working.

The tethering issue is also being bounced around the blogs. AT&T is currently envisioning a $70 tethering plan (I'm assuming in addition to the current phone/data plans we would have). It wouldn't surprise me that the high cost is intended to deter people from selecting that option and causing greater bandwidth problems.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure they have their reasons but charging is not a reason to make us wait. They shouldn't even charge either. If they do I'm sticking to MMS.

I've been reading that AT&T has SMS and mms on two different network channels and they have to do some kind of unlocking of that channel for the millions of iPhone.

Or maybe the MMS feature will be specific to the iPhone ?

Also , AT&T has a lot of customers. That still doesn't really justify why they are taking so long because I'm sure apple has been working with them all this time.

Smh. I'm starting to realize how bad AT&T is. Ive have them since 2004

IamGov#IM

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
I understand ATT has major items to work on, but we knew about this almost 4 months ago, which means they have prolly known for 6. Is that not enought time for the programers to write the fixes?

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I understand ATT has major items to work on, but we knew about this almost 4 months ago, which means they have prolly known for 6. Is that not enought time for the programers to write the fixes?

Yes, way way way way way more than enough time, AT&T is run by a bunch of incompetent morons..

joliveria

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
If everyone is whining sooo much about MMS not being usable at this very moment then pop the SIM card and stick it in your old Moto Razor and enjoy the MMS, just hope you don't miss all the hundreds of other features that make the iPhone better than everything else...

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
The real story is Apple screwed AT&T over! They said they would never do MMS and how email was the way to go. So AT&T decided to block MMS, not only on the front end system, but the back end. Now they have to manually unblock it not only from accounts with the iPhone in the biller, but from accounts that have been using the iPhone w/o updating their IMEI.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2