Has anyone noticed that videos displayed w/the iPhone XS Max is less sharper than its competitors?

I

iMore Question

Hi everyone

I'm really happy with the Iphone XS Max. There are many positive aspects. But now I am absolutely disappointed with the display. The OLED display of the iphone xs max is always highly praised by critics. For me, the display was a very important criterion when I bought it.

For example, if I watch a video on YouTube in Full HD quality and compare it with another smartphone (compared it with the Huawei p20 pro and the samsung galaxy s8) then I strongly notice that YouTube is less sharp on the Iphone. And that's clearly noticeable! Full HD was selected as the resolution on all devices. In a direct comparison the sharpness of the videos on the iPhone xs max was clearly worse than on the android competition (Huawei and Samsung).

Has anyone already noticed this? Is there perhaps an attitude or another reason for it? I can't understand how the display of the Iphone XS Max is always perceived as so good.

I also compared the videos to an iphone 8 plus and the sharpness on the Iphone XS Max is only slightly better.

It really annoys me because I read a lot of tests in advance and the display was always mentioned as the strength of the Iphone.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I just did a comparison with the iPhone Xs Max and the Note 9 and I really don't see a difference. I set both to max brightness so that would not be a factor.

I wonder if you have a faulty display?

Shyluu

Nov 18, 2018
Visit site
Hi
Could be that the display is faulty. But you watched videos on both devices and they had the same / similar sharpness? In my case its a big difference! I think i habe to visit a apple store soon.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
To be fair, Samsung’s Note 9 and S9 series for sure, maybe even some older models, have a quad HD display. They are also more saturated (which I don’t like). So while the iPhone plays video in 1080p HDR, the Samsung’s will play in 1440p or higher. So you could be seeing that difference as well. However, I believe the iPhones HDR makes up for that difference in resolution.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2