HELP!!! Serious ios wifi issues!!!!

I

iMore Question

Hi,
I've been having very bad wifi issues on my iphone 6s since the 9.3 update (also had the common "links not working in safari and apps" issue, but 9.3.1 solved that one - but not the wifi :(((( )

The issues are all ober the place. The phone often not connecting to known (eg home) wifi networks, some will work after a while with multiple hard resets and network setting resets, sometimes with router restart, but even then, connected and working; it will show in settings, that the wifi toggle switch is off! and also in Control Center, the wifi shows off!!!
when I try to turn on the wifi, sometimes the whole settings menu will freeze/crash, other times the toggle switch simply goes off instead of remaining on, and the control center wifi icon gets stuck greyed out.
Other times (eg near a payed, agressive wifi network that I don't want to pay for and log into) remains connected, no matter what I do, so I can't use my cellular data (with LTE or 4g, or 3G showing in the top, wifi toggle switch off, CC wifi icon of, but settings home menu - wifi network showing active under airplane mode) and in browser, the wifi login page comes up :(
In these cases, again, multiple, different resets and 10-15 minute needed to force it to use cellular network.

I tried almost everything I found in online support (except heating my phone w hairdryer and such, as I don't think that's smart in the cade of a 4 month old 6s ), resets of networks and routers; turning "wifi networking" on and off, having "wifi assist" on and off.
I even wiped my iphone clean 3 times, and set it up again through itunes! (I have a LOT of apps so thisnis a pain in the a**)

Nothing helped so far. It's indescribably frustrating, especially with having had been an iphone user the pst 8 years and never having such serious problems, and with such a new and expensive phone... :(((((

The number of apps or the presence of certain one/s - I am begining to think - might actually be part of the problem (as with trying to set it up as a new iphone, the whole thing worked fine)
with maybe one or more apps causing this in combination w something in the 9.3 update - like it was with booking.com for many people with the links issue.

But as I mentioned there's a LOT of them, so reinstalling them one by one is NOT an acceptable solution :((((

Any experiences? Ideas? Inputs?
I am getting really desperate here... :(((((

Thanks!!!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Make a Genius Bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store to have them diagnose the problem for you. If they deem you need a replacement then they'll replace it.

arakri

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Everywhere, though sometimes the issue is different.
At home, multiple hard resets and network settings reset force it on the wifi. (Wifi signal shows, and network name, though toggle switch and cc wifi icon shows off; AND no matter what I do it wonmt see any other network, includinv my 5ghz :( )

At work it won't connect at all.

On the metro, LTE showing, wifi off, and still getting the wifi login page in safari.
If I turn off cellular, I'm not getting anything (connection off, no internet)

arakri

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
I talked to apple support, multiple times and for hours.

It's not a hardware issue (probably), as when I set it up as new, I don't have any of the problems, wifi, including toggle switch, etc. settings work normal.

I tried deleting apps in batches, but even after deleting all of them, the problem is still ther.

When restoring from the backup, the issue is there as soon as the phone reboots.

Apple support's solution suggestion at present is setting it up as new, and downloading my apps new.

I refuse to accept that, as I like (d :/ ) the continuity in being able to get my content and settings back with a new phone, etc...

I had none of these issues before 9.3

:((((

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

It's not a hardware issue (probably), as when I set it up as new, I don't have any of the problems, wifi, including toggle switch, etc. settings work normal.

I tried deleting apps in batches, but even after deleting all of them, the problem is still ther.

When restoring from the backup, the issue is there as soon as the phone reboots.

Apple support's solution suggestion at present is setting it up as new, and downloading my apps new.

I refuse to accept that, as I like (d :/ ) the continuity in being able to get my content and settings back with a new phone, etc...

You're stuck with it then. The problem is in your back up. So restoring it as new avoids the problem. It's a bit of a PITA, but it works to solve many issues. I did it with my new 6s Plus in September. I had set it up with the back up of my iPhone 5. But it was corrupted. Then I restored as new and it's been great ever since.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

You have to remember the iPhone is nothing more than a tiny computer. As such, there will be glitches from time to time. If you restore as new, you will still have much of your data. Your Calendar, Notes, Reminders should still be there. But back up your photos to storage in Maybe a cloud based app like Dropbox.
Restoring as new is your only option to fix your problem. Good luck.

arakri

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
I get all that. And I'm working up a courage to do the new setup.

However, I still fail to understand where it went wrong. I had no issues from december to march, until upgrading to 9.3

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I get all that. And I'm working up a courage to do the new setup.

However, I still fail to understand where it went wrong. I had no issues from december to march, until upgrading to 9.3

It happens on occasion. Sometimes things get corrupted during the download and/or install process, but usually, a subsequent download and install fixes the problem. In your case, parts of your backup appears to be corrupted. It happens.

H3aTeRzz

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
You're stuck with it then. The problem is in your back up. So restoring it as new avoids the problem. It's a bit of a PITA, but it works to solve many issues. I did it with my new 6s Plus in September. I had set it up with the back up of my iPhone 5. But it was corrupted. Then I restored as new and it's been great ever since.

This

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2